Breast Augmentation, Breast Implants, and Plastic Surgeons Forums

Breast Augmentation, Breast Implants, and Plastic Surgeons Forums (http://www.justbreastimplants.com/forum/)
-   Breast Augmentation Complications (http://www.justbreastimplants.com/forum/breast-augmentation-complications/)
-   -   Denting by Sternum (http://www.justbreastimplants.com/forum/breast-augmentation-complications/179960-denting-sternum.html)

AllieOop 05-23-2012 07:15 AM

Denting by Sternum

I have uploaded a picture (public album) of myself laying on my back. My implants slide to the sides and I have two massive dents near my sternum. I can run my finger over the area and feel the edges of the bone. I can also put nearly the entire length of my hand in the gap between the implants themselves.

I asked about it at around the two month mark but it was nowhere near as bad as it is now and was hoping some of you ladies could weigh on in whether or not this is par for the course or if it needs to be addressed. My surgeon did say that it could be fixed with stitching the pocket on the sides so they don't slide so much.

Lori_Al 05-23-2012 07:31 AM

My old implants slid to my pits when I layed down, but I never had denting. Had many other problems hence my revision. Lateral displacement it's called.

AllieOop 05-23-2012 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lori_Al (Post 1846760)
My old implants slid to my pits when I layed down, but I never had denting. Had many other problems hence my revision. Lateral displacement it's called.

How long after your initial surgery did you have a revision?

babyfromheaven 05-23-2012 07:43 AM

In all honesty, I have never seen anything like that. I have seen implants flatten from lateral displacement, which yours don't seem to be doing. They could be tighter in the pocket to keep some of the movement down, but I'm not sure if that would correct the denting. Could it be internal sutures that have not dissolved properly? Maybe they are pulling on the breast tissue when you lay on your side and the implant capsule slides outward. That is really all I can think of and even that is just a best guess.

AllieOop 05-23-2012 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by babyfromheaven (Post 1846777)
In all honesty, I have never seen anything like that. I have seen implants flatten from lateral displacement, which yours don't seem to be doing. They could be tighter in the pocket to keep some of the movement down, but I'm not sure if that would correct the denting. Could it be internal sutures that have not dissolved properly? Maybe they are pulling on the breast tissue when you lay on your side and the implant capsule slides outward. That is really all I can think of and even that is just a best guess.

When I push them together and hold my hands on the outside of my ribcage so they can't fall completely to the sides, the dents fill in. I have a really big hand and fit from the crease at my wrist to the end of my pinky in that gap when I lay down. He said that a pocket revision would keep them from looking natural but those dents look straight up awful.

littlelady55 05-23-2012 07:55 AM

I would guess that the dents are caused by the implant not filling that area. It makes sense that the issue could be remedied by stitching the pockets on the sides. It seems like the pockets are too wide, since they allow the implant to slide that far to the sides.

I get a funny dent-like thing on my right breast when I raise my arms. Its on my under boob next to my sternum. I can't figure out what it is. It looks similar to what you have happening. Since it only happens when I raise my arms and no one will see it, I don't concern myself with it.

With your issue though, I'd probably want to have it fixed. I haven't researched lateral displacement to know whether or not its something that you can live with or needs repair to keep it from getting worse.

Sorry you have this going on. I hope you are able to figure it out and get your boobs behaving properly.

babyfromheaven 05-23-2012 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllieOop (Post 1846786)
When I push them together and hold my hands on the outside of my ribcage so they can't fall completely to the sides, the dents fill in. I have a really big hand and fit from the crease at my wrist to the end of my pinky in that gap when I lay down. He said that a pocket revision would keep them from looking natural but those dents look straight up awful.

I went and looked at your pic again and compared it to your 3 month photos. You have amazingly natural results. Is where the dents appear at the top of your crease/IF? When I compare the shape of your breasts laying flat to standing it appears like they move UP and OUT when you lay down, which gives the appearance like they are not laterally displaced by much. Am I making sense?

It looks like all your lower volume distributes up and outward when you lay down, much like a natural breast does. But if the implant itself is doing it in the pocket, you'll definitely want to get that fixed. From what you are saying it sounds like is both the implant and your natural tissue moving outward. From what I have read mild lateral displacement won't necessarily have any pain or issues associated with it, but it can over time if the pockets stretch more.

AllieOop 05-23-2012 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by babyfromheaven (Post 1846807)
I went and looked at your pic again and compared it to your 3 month photos. You have amazingly natural results. Is where the dents appear at the top of your crease/IF? When I compare the shape of your breasts laying flat to standing it appears like they move UP and OUT when you lay down, which gives the appearance like they are not laterally displaced by much. Am I making sense?

It looks like all your lower volume distributes up and outward when you lay down, much like a natural breast does. But if the implant itself is doing it in the pocket, you'll definitely want to get that fixed. From what you are saying it sounds like is both the implant and your natural tissue moving outward. From what I have read mild lateral displacement won't necessarily have any pain or issues associated with it, but it can over time if the pockets stretch more.

They mirror my pre-op breasts so much it's scary. They used to do the same kind of up and out shift, but they were almost flat. Now, the dents are just totally hollow spaces where there is really no natural tissue and no implant because everything decides to try and slide off to the sides. The implant definitely shifts to the sides as well. I know that's a desirable thing when you're going for a natural look but those dents are so unseemly.

AllieOop 05-23-2012 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by littlelady55 (Post 1846790)
I would guess that the dents are caused by the implant not filling that area. It makes sense that the issue could be remedied by stitching the pockets on the sides. It seems like the pockets are too wide, since they allow the implant to slide that far to the sides.

I get a funny dent-like thing on my right breast when I raise my arms. Its on my under boob next to my sternum. I can't figure out what it is. It looks similar to what you have happening. Since it only happens when I raise my arms and no one will see it, I don't concern myself with it.

With your issue though, I'd probably want to have it fixed. I haven't researched lateral displacement to know whether or not its something that you can live with or needs repair to keep it from getting worse.

Sorry you have this going on. I hope you are able to figure it out and get your boobs behaving properly.

I have another dent when I bend over on the bottom of my left one and some minor rippling. Those things don't bother me as much. I'm just taken aback at how this issue seems to be getting worse. They look good when I'm standing up, but a lady (so to speak!) wants to look good on her back, too! ;)

Lori_Al 05-23-2012 10:46 AM

I had double bubble, muscle flex Distortion and lateral displacement. 7 months I waited to heal before revision. Moved my unders to overs. They are so much better!!!!!

AllieOop 05-23-2012 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lori_Al (Post 1846992)
I had double bubble, muscle flex Distortion and lateral displacement. 7 months I waited to heal before revision. Moved my unders to overs. They are so much better!!!!!

I'm glad you're happy now. Feeling like something just isn't right takes the wind out of your sails.

May I ask about your muscle distortion? I dent in the middle of my areolas when I flex and they also jump apart. Was yours similar?

NikStarr 05-23-2012 11:51 AM

I can't view your pic since I'm a newbie, but I think I know what your talking about. My right one did that and when I stood up the right one sagged. I noticed it about 4 months after the BA and by 6 months my the right just kept geting lower and lower. My PS told me it was because I needed to have my pocket tightened. I had the revision done almost 2 weeks now, so I'm hoping it stays in place.

Lori_Al 05-23-2012 12:19 PM

Go look at my old complication album it's public and still up. It was BAD

AllieOop 05-23-2012 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lori_Al (Post 1847104)
Go look at my old complication album it's public and still up. It was BAD

Holy Moses, girl. That IS bad! Makes me even more happy for you that it's all fixed!

AllieOop 05-23-2012 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Niki (Post 1847072)
I can't view your pic since I'm a newbie, but I think I know what your talking about. My right one did that and when I stood up the right one sagged. I noticed it about 4 months after the BA and by 6 months my the right just kept geting lower and lower. My PS told me it was because I needed to have my pocket tightened. I had the revision done almost 2 weeks now, so I'm hoping it stays in place.

Mine seems to just be a lateral displacement and looks okay when I stand up. I'm glad you got your revision. How was the recovery from that?

Lori_Al 05-23-2012 01:41 PM

You have no idea how I love this revision!

AllieOop 05-23-2012 02:33 PM

I bet. You look gorgeous!

70chick 05-23-2012 03:04 PM

I get dents when I lay down too but they aren't like holes. The are about 2 inches long and one inch wide and run straight up and down parrallel next to my sternum. I am going to check into fat grafting because I really don't want to have another surgery.

Lori_Al 05-23-2012 03:07 PM

Thank you so much :) I do hope you get answers to what's going on with you. It sucks to have complications HUGS!!!!

105 05-24-2012 06:06 AM

I agree, in that a lady wants to look good when lying down :) I am curious, have you been back in Dr. P's office for any post-op appts? I wasn't going to travel, but the last couple of days I was thinking that it is probably best to get into the office and have him touch and feel and get feedback. Turbo mentioned that her 1 month check was super quick, so at first I was thinking it isn't worth it...now I'm thinking I should go. Your thoughts?