Go Back   Just Breast Implants Forum JBI Surgeon Forums > Ask Dr. Ambe (California)

|
Forgot Username/Password?
Forum Home Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Ask Dr. Ambe (California) In this forum, you can ask California plastic surgeon, Dr. Milind Ambe, questions about breast augmentation and other plastic surgery procedures.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By KayKay1206

Is breast implant illness real?

Old 09-04-2018, 03:28 PM

unicorn_mama is on a distinguished road
Is breast implant illness real?

So I have an autoimmune disease and someone told me that if you get implants it can make it worse, or they can cause autoimmune disease even in someone healthy. I started googling and of course found lots of scary stuff saying implants can cause cancer, etc. Is any of that true? I don't know what to believe! I really want to get a BA but of course don't want to get sick.
Old 09-04-2018, 04:49 PM

Lennev is a jewel in the rough Lennev is a jewel in the rough Lennev is a jewel in the rough Lennev is a jewel in the rough
Nothing has ever been proven that it is real, BUT I personally believe that some women's bodies just don't agree with implants over time for some reason. It could be the biofilm that can develop, a fungus or bacteria, Silicone leeching, who knows... As someone who works in women's healthcare, I refuse to disregard the experience of thousands of women whom have no reason to be making symptoms up. I believe it is very real and very unfortunate for SOME people. Most women who've experienced it said symptoms improve with explant. If the cause was known or risk was astronomical, scientists would know about it.

The cancer you're referring to is medically acknowledged but EXTREMELY rare. We are talking something like 10 confirmed cases worldwide. AntiPlastic carcinoma I believe it's called? Something like that. But the odds are incredibly low. Almost incalculable. 350,000 women a year get implants and only something like 10 EVER have gotten this cancer. That's how low.

Ultimately, like any surgery or body modification, you just have to weigh the risk to benefit and make a informed decision.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lennev For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2018, 05:23 PM

Alli3fire will become famous soon enough Alli3fire will become famous soon enough
I agree with Lennev

How Lennev expressed it is pretty much spot on with how I feel. . I believe it's roughly 1 in 7,000 for the ALCL cancer and that most of those are with textured implants. I think many more women are afflicted with autoimmune type issues than cancer and my feeling is some women's bodies just reject the implants and it wreaks havoc on them.
Old 09-13-2018, 05:31 PM
JBI's Recovery Freak of Nature.

KayKay1206 is a splendid one to behold KayKay1206 is a splendid one to behold KayKay1206 is a splendid one to behold KayKay1206 is a splendid one to behold KayKay1206 is a splendid one to behold KayKay1206 is a splendid one to behold KayKay1206 is a splendid one to behold
Implants do not cause auto immune diseases and they do not make them worse. The SURGERY. ANY SURGERY can. You could go have your gallbladder removed tomorrow and have issues. ANY surgery weakens the immune system, allowinf anything dormant to come to surface. And ANY surgery can cause a flare up of any existing issues.

Pregnancy, csection, broken bone, the flu, a cold. ANY AND ALL these can cause issues because your immune system is weakened. It is NOT the implant. Its the surgery.

Auto immune means you were BORN with it. Its in your body already. When/if it comes to surface is up to your....immune system.

Friend of mine has Lupus. She had more issues with her lupus with her pregnancies (2) and csections than she did with her implants.

Also, MILLIONS of women AND MEN have the same symptoms you read about under “BII” and they DONT have implants.

99% od what you read is fear mongering.

BooBitties likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to KayKay1206 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2018, 03:48 AM

swiftsally is on a distinguished road
I would agree a weakened immune system can lead to problems. It is important to take good care of yourself and that would include exposure to people who trigger emotional stuff for you.