Go Back   Just Breast Implants Forum JBI Surgeon Forums > Ask Dr. Levens (Florida)

|
Forgot Username/Password?
Forum Home Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Ask Dr. Levens (Florida) In this forum, you can ask Coral Springs, Florida based surgeon Dr. David J. Levens questions about breast augmentation and other plastic surgery procedures.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Dr. Levens

Implant replacement

Old 02-12-2018, 12:36 PM
cya

cya is on a distinguished road
Implant replacement

Hi doctor! I have older saline implants that I am considering replacing. But I have seen so much on the news lately about problems associated with implants that I am concerned. I have no problems currently, and was considering switching to silicone. Is there an reason that I should be concerned with the new silicone implants? Is there any truth to all these women claiming that removing their implants improved their health? And what about the cancer that has been linked to implants? Should I just leave my old salines alone and wait and worry for the day one will rupture?
Old 02-12-2018, 03:04 PM
Certified by the ABPS

Dr. Levens is on a distinguished road
Hello cya,

If there is nothing wrong with your current saline implants and you are not bothered by the way they look and feel, then you can certainly consider "leaving well enough alone".

Don't know how old your "older" saline implants are, but they can easily last for 10+ years without "failing" (leaking). You could simply wait until you have a problem.

On the other hand, silicone gel implants which are the most commonly used implants nationwide and worldwide by far are both safe and the latest generation of silicone is a more preferable fill material to better replicate the feel of your natural breasts, they are less likely to ripple, may hold their shape better and may seem lighter.

There is no hard scientific data that conclusively links silicone implants with systemic diseases (the moratorium was released in 2006) however, there are women who allege that they have developed sicknesses related to their implants and some claim improvements when their implants are removed.

Finally, the issue of ALCL (anaplastic large cell lymphoma) has been discussed more lately as we learn more about the disease, The good news is that it is extremely rare and very treatable with a good prognosis if treated properly.

Hope this helps!

Dr. Levens
Coral Springs, FL
www.drlevens.com

BooBitties likes this.

Dr. Levens's plastic surgeon is David J. Levens, MD
VISIT WEBSITE
DOCTOR PROFILE
The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Levens For This Useful Post: