Go Back   Just Breast Implants Forum JBI Surgeon Forums > Ask Dr. Placik (Illinois)

|
Forgot Username/Password?
Forum Home Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Ask Dr. Placik (Illinois) In this forum, you can ask Chicago, Illinois plastic surgeon, Dr. Otto Placik, questions about breast augmentation and other plastic surgery procedures.

BA Drainage Tubes

Old 12-13-2012, 07:54 AM

Dove77 is on a distinguished road
BA Drainage Tubes

Hi Dr. Placik,
My doctor will be using drainage tubes for 2 days after my first breast aug. She does utilize cayterization during the surgery, which I would think make the tubes unnecessary. Are there doctors that still use them as an extra benefit and precaution to mitigate lymphatic fluid accumulation? Thank you for your help.
Old 02-12-2013, 06:02 PM
Certified by the ABPS

Dr. Placik is on a distinguished road
Not always

Some Doctors do use drainage tubes. It depends on the case. We do not typically use them for a breast augmentation but we do for Breast reduction.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:20 PM
Certified by the ABPS

Dr. Placik is on a distinguished road
To be more specific, the use of drains depends primarily on the surgeon preference. While they are nearly universally used with breast implants for breast reconstruction when the lymphatic circulation is more likely to be interupted and lymphatic fluid accumulation may occur. It is my impression that their use is waning for cosmetic breast augmentation when the lymphatic circulation is generally left intact. However, some surgeons still prefer to employ them to mitigate against the potential for a seroma or hematoma. There are other surgeons who believe that they may increase the potential for ascending bacterial contamination of the implant and biofilm formation.