Go Back   Just Breast Implants Forum >

|
Forgot Username/Password?
Forum Home Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Breast Augmentation Stories Post your entire ba experience (from researching, to your consult, to your pre-op, to surgery, to recovery) here in this forum. If you post your story, it should contain DETAILS. Posts or "stories" that are NOT detailed will be moved to the Post-op Recovery Forum.

Old 06-27-2018, 08:26 PM   #1  
mch

mch will become famous soon enoughmch will become famous soon enough

Pre-Op consults to Post-op results

Hi ladies. I thought I'd start this thread to document my process, as I've found these threads to be really helpful.

As of right now (6/27/18), I have had 3 consultations with 3 different surgeons. I am fairly certain that I know who I want to do my surgery with (based on personal client referrals and his information online), and my consult with THAT doctor is coming up in about 3 weeks. BUT I am insanely type A and wanted to get as much information as possible in the meantime. I have 3 more consultations scheduled.

Consult 1:
This was interesting. I set up a consult with a VERY well known doctor and I had a couple of clients that went to him. I was largely underwhelmed by the experience. He was very nice and his staff was nice as well, but it felt like he had done too many boob jobs in his time, and sort of brushed off the importance of it. They recommended I go with 350CCs under the muscle, silicone. They used Vectra 3D imaging to show me what it would look like (pics in my pre-op gallery). I asked about nipple inversion correction and he said he wouldn't do it until I had had kids. I also asked about evening out my boobs during surgery because my left one is a bit bigger, and he said that he wouldn't do that - asymmetry is asymmetry and the implants should be the same size. He also said that I could leave all of my piercings in (i have pierced nipples) and that he would just cover them with a cloth during surgery. He said that I could start doing light cardio and lower body at 2 weeks out, and start normal activity at around 6 weeks. Overall, it seemed a bit rushed and extremely non-chalant, and they even offered me a discount if i scheduled my surgery to take place within one week of the consultation (which I could NEVER do).

Consult 2:
I found this doctor online and he has great reviews and good social media, but I didn't have any personal referrals to him. I actually met with his patient care coordinator and not him, but off the bat they were WAY more thorough than the first doctor. She gathered a really comprehensive health history on me, and even said the doctor may want me to get a breast ultrasound and blood tests done prior to the surgery since i have a family history of breast cancer. She didn't seem to have a problem with the nipple inversion correction being done during surgery, and even added it to my quote at the end of the visit. They were very strict on NO exercise for 6 weeks after surgery, and said that I'd have to remove all of my piercings and nail polish for the surgery. I tried on some implants in the office for this one, which was kind of fun, but they looked huge. She recommended I go 385CCs - she said specifically that a lot of her patients that go smaller than that wind up regretting it. (pics included in my pre-op gallery)

Consult 3:
This was another online find. Great reviews. Photo gallery was OK, not my favorite, but I wanted to get as much info as possible. This doctor was very funny with a dry sense of humor, kind of "east coast" style humor. He went through a LOT of information with me, which I appreciated and hadn't gotten before. Mentioned that a lot of women that get breast implants wind up having to get some sort of other procedure done as a follow up and that needed to be considered. He measured me and asked me a few questions about what size I'd like to be (C or a D cup), and I told him probably closer to a D, but that bra size didn't mean much to me. He said light activity after 2-3 weeks, normal activity usually after 4 weeks, but to be smart about it and "don't do things that hurt." He also said he wouldn't do inversion correction until I've had kids. AND not only did he say I'd have to take my nipple piercings out for surgery, but that I couldn't ever put them back in afterward for risk of infection. After seeing my breasts, he recommended 375CCs in the left and 400CCs in the right, and he used the Vectra imaging to show me what it looked like. I actually liked that sizing, but he wouldn't let me take a picture. Oddly enough, he was about $1000 cheaper than the other surgeons I've talked to, but that's not a deciding factor for me.

Anyway - VERY interesting to hear the different perspectives and how each PS differs in their advice and methods.

My next appointment is with the doctor that I will probably wind up choosing, and it's in about 3 weeks! Updates to come then.
mch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mch For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2018, 07:33 AM   #2  
mch

I found "the one!"

Hey ladies.
An exciting update!

I met with my "dream surgeon" yesterday and he was every bit as wonderful as I had hoped.
From the get go, when the receptionist took me back, I met directly with him and not a patient care coordinator or assistant. He did the entire examination and even the "before pictures" himself (an assistant was present, but otherwise he did everything). He was very quiet and respectful, and took his time on everything.
He explained the basics to me, and I knew pretty much all of the information, but I appreciated the way he took the time to make things clear.
The main thing, though, was that he actually asked me questions about what I wanted, which the previous surgeons really haven't done. We went through some of the pictures from his gallery and I showed him the ones that I liked the best. He was very hesitant to give me a range of sizes until we actually try on the sizers at my pre-op appointment. He explained that he orders a range of implants and tries a few different ones in the operating room and chooses the best profile during surgery based off of what works best for my anatomy and my goal pictures. He told me that I had the option to do general anesthesia or twilight sleep, of which I will probably choose twilight sleep as it's less expensive. He mentioned that I would have to take my nipple piercings out during surgery, but I could get them re-pierced at about 3 months post op. And he generally recommends no strenuous exercise at all for 4 weeks after surgery.

I will be calling them today to see what the next steps are (I had to rush out of my consult to get to work). I will be financing the surgery, which I have mixed feelings about, but I would like to make sure I don't hold myself back from doing something for ME just because I can't afford $7k outright at the moment.

I'll be booking my surgery for thanksgiving week! It's actually happening!
Old 08-21-2018, 05:19 PM   #3  
mch

What an eventful few weeks!

So, a while back I had booked a consult with a female plastic surgeon in the area. Not the biggest fan of her work, but I liked her videos and I wanted to get as many consults as possible and I had to pay the deposit, so I went to see her.

She was really sweet and pleasant, and was very thorough in asking me about the aesthetic I want. She had a "boob book" to look through and choose pictures from, and they had me try on sizers as well. She was very sweet and so was her staff. She had the same opinions as my first doctor re: piercings and recovery (she would let me leave my piercings in for surgery and took the same very non-chalant approach). The funny and ironic thing is that she actually recommended I go smaller than all of the other surgeons I've seen (who were all male). She recommended somewhere around the 300CC range, compared to the 350-400 recommendations from the others.

EXCITING NEWS:

After much debate about whether I should do the surgery right now (mainly for financial reasons), I have officially SCHEDULED SURGERY for November 19 2018!!! My pre-op is Nov 1, and my surgery is on the morning of the 19th. I've opted for IV sedation (twilight sleep), silicone implants under the muscle.
I will determine size in my preop with the doctor. Probably will go closer to the 375 range, but I will take his advice!

Super excited!!!
Old 11-02-2018, 03:25 PM   #4  
mch

PRE-OP DONE!!

I'M SO EXCITED!
I had my preop last night. Paid the remaining balance and met with the doctor.
I had a list of questions for him which he answered VERY patiently. Here were my key takeaways from my doctor chat:
  • I'll be in surgery for about an hour but staying at the recovery center for half a day
  • My doctor does NOT recommend massage or icing generally speaking
  • I will be cleared to shower after my first post op (2 days post surgery)
  • Warning signs post op are NOT subtle. Usually include fever, extreme discoloration, unusual pain
  • I will have to wear a bra 24/7 for 30 days after surgery
  • I WILL have flex deformity because my pec muscles are well developed
  • My asymmetry is so mild that it may not make sense to put different size implants in, but we will find out in surgery
  • I can leave my body piercings in during surgery (I took my nipple piercings out about 6 weeks ago)

After I spoke with the doc, he gave me 3 RXs (valium, norco, and antibiotics), did a very quick exam and had the nurse come in to help me try on sizers. These sizers were AWESOME. They were anatomically shaped so they didn't have the weird balloon look that a lot of the round sizers have. We agreed that the 400 sizers looked good, so we will try to go 400-425.

All I have to do now is get my dial soap, pick up my prescriptions, wait 2.5 weeks, clean my apartment REALLY well, meal prep, and get my new boobs! Woot!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mch For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2018, 02:59 AM   #5  
mch

Surgery is done!

I went in yesterday at 8AM and was taken back almost immediately. I got to the room where the nurse started my IV and asked me a few questions. I asked her if I would see the doctor prior to the surgery and she informed me that I wouldn't (I'm pretty laid back, but I must admit I was a bit disappointed at this news). I was started on my meds, gradually; the first couple of hits of meds just to relax me, and the final third shot was to put me mostly out. I had conscious IV sedation, so I do remember waking up when they were doing the numbing shots and I let them know that I could feel whatever they were doing. I also asked my doctor if he had a good weekend, ahahahaha. He's not the most personable guy so his response was quite short, but I don't remember exactly what he said.
Next thing I knew, I was waking up. The nurses were asking me some questions and hanging out with me in the recovery space. I was in pain already and just exhausted. Once again I did not see the doctor, so I actually have no idea what size we wound up going with. I'll find out in my pre-op tomorrow.
My boyfriend arrived and took me home and is being the best caregiver, but I'm just in a lot of pain. I don't feel the same "pressure" feeling that a lot of women say they have, I just hurt really badly. I have really strong abs, but the pain in my upper ribs makes it excruciating for me to sit up. I can't reach or pick anything up. Adjusting my position in bed is horribly painful.

I am rotating between my Norco and my Valium. Hoping the initial pain will pass soon!
Old 11-20-2018, 08:49 PM   #6  
mch

My surgeon called me today to check in on me, very sweet.
I asked him what size I wound up with and he said I have 400CC in each breast. That's exactly the size I wanted, and apparently was the largest he could fit, so that explains why I'm in so much pain.
I thought today was better than yesterday, pain-wise, so i started to try to wean off of my pain meds (only taking 1/2 rather than a full pill at the designated times). My boyfriend also went to work today so I was doing a lot of things independently. Well I don't know if it was the lack of meds or if I overdid it, but I woke up from a nap this afternoon in agonizing pain. My boobs, my upper back, my ribs, everything hurt. I could not stop crying.
I made myself some food (heated some pre-made food that my bf made) and took 1.5 of my Norco and managed to get the pain under control again. Definitely will be staying on top of my pain meds for the next couple of days.
Also, weird fun fact, but even with my other surgeries I've never had an issue staying "regular" when taking pain medication, so that's one thing I haven't had a problem with. I am extremely bloated though, which is not attractive.
Headed in for my first post op tomorrow and hopefully will be able to shower after that.
Old 11-21-2018, 05:20 PM   #7  
mch

Had my first post-op appointment today!
All went well. It was a very quick appointment...I'd be surprised it if lasted ten minutes. The doctor said I was looking good and was cleared to shower, even get the incisions wet. He said the strips may fall off of the stitches and that was fine. He wants to see me back in a week, and that was that!
I am a bit paranoid because my right boob has been giving me a lot more trouble than my left one, BUT my right boob was smaller to begin with, so I wonder if it's a bit more strained under the weight of the new implants.
I've been keeping my pain under control. Overall good day today.
Old 11-25-2018, 12:06 PM   #8  
mch

It's day 6 post op; tomorrow will be one week since my surgery day. The first 3 days after surgery are a huge blur; I was drugged up and in a lot of pain. Ever since then, I have been mostly fine. I have normal soreness, but i really only have to take a pain pill at night. I will probably switch to tylenol tonight to see how I get through the night. I am currently mildly worried, because I was overly ambitious and tried to put on a tight tank top today and strained my right pec. My righty is a problem child to begin with, but I am very paranoid that I'm going to cause trauma and cause a hematoma or capsular contracture. That breast is still very sore, but I am keeping a close eye out for bruising and swelling, and nothing seems to look abnormal right now.
I see my doctor again on Thursday!
Old 12-01-2018, 09:03 PM   #9  
mch

Day 12

Feeling generally just OK. Had my second post op this past week.
I am very paranoid and concerned about developing early capsular contracture, as my right breast is higher, firmer, and clearly more constricted than my left. My doctor assured me that he doesnít feel this is the case, and let me know that he had to surgically release my left pec muscles more in the OR, which explains why the left is dropping faster.
He is also not a fan of massage or other interventions like the strap or band (at least I havenít been recommended to do any of it), and Iím a very action-oriented person so Iím finding the ďletís just wait and see how they turn outĒ process to he excruciating.
I have felt a bit rushed in each of my post op appointments. Neither of them has lasted more than 10 minutes, ďletís make sure nothing looks obviously awful, goodbyeĒ and I absolutely hate the passive approach to recovery.
I know this is a journey. Just trying to be patient and not freak out.
Old 12-23-2018, 10:44 PM   #10  
mch

Question

5 weeks post op

Hi ladies.
Tomorrow is exactly five weeks post op!
For the most part, I love the new boobs - or at least the left one.
I have been posting weekly photos in my public album if you'd like to take a look. My left breast is healing beautifully. My right is moving a LOT slower, but as far as I can tell it isn't moving in the wrong direction. Just a lot slower to drop, settle, and soften. BUT, it is getting a tiny bit softer over the past few days.

I had my 1 month PO appt with my surgeon about 6 days ago. Once again, it was a VERY quick appointment. He gives his scripted speech and generally sort of just lets me go. He did give me a bandeau strap and told me I could wear it if I wanted. He doesn't feel that it does much (he said the breasts will settle into their natural position regardless of whether I use the strap or not). He also told me I could resume light exercise at the 5 week mark (tomorrow), and that I could choose if I wanted to wear a bra at night or not. I was cleared to sleep on my side as well.
I see him again in about 5 weeks time. That will be about 2.5 months, and the goal is that the breasts will be mostly settled by then.

Even though my PS does not think massage/implant displacement does much, I have been doing some light displacement exercises 2 times per day for 3-5 minutes, focusing more on my right breast. I will generally:
1) push the breasts together and hold for 5 seconds, repeating for 5 reps
2) take each palm on either side of my right breast, and push inward, sort of squishing the breast from either side, hold for 2-3 seconds and repeat for 5-10 reps
3) place my left hand in the upper pole of my right breast and my right hand in the lower pole, and alternate pressing on the top and bottom, making sure I feel the implant move up and down, and holding for about 5 seconds. I repeat this for about 30 seconds total.
4) take both hands and place them on the top their respective breasts with my thumb right behind my pec major and my fingers on the medial edge of my upper pole, and squeeze the tops of my breasts until I can see the implant shift downward into the lower pole. I hold the squeeze for 3-5 seconds and repeat for 20-30 seconds.

I will then do some mild stretches (slow overhead reaches and shoulder rolls). I try to do this in the morning and evening.

Even if the exercises do nothing, a HUGE benefit is that I am regularly feeling my breasts and getting a good sense for their firmness and mobility so that I can track any changes. I am still very paranoid about capsular contracture and want to make sure I am staying aware.

Pain is really minimal. The most pain that I have is in/around my incisions, and sometimes I'll have a bit of pain in the lateral breast on the side that I've slept on, but that's very short lasting. I am off of pain medication completely.

I hope that my next update will be a VERY happy and productive update about my beautiful and more symmetric breasts!
Old 02-17-2019, 04:05 PM   #11  
mch

3 months post op!

Long story short, I love the boobs.

I am, however, still experiencing pretty severe asymmetry.

I had my 3 month post op visit this week, and my PS did acknowledge that righty is moving a lot slower. He is having me perform a "stretch" for about 5 minutes total per day; I push the implant from the bottom up all the way into the top of the pocket and hold it for 20-30 seconds, and then I let it settle back down and repeat.

The main thing that is a bit upsetting is that when I wear clothes my nipples point in completely different directions. Left nipple points up (since the implant sits lower), right nipple points down. Just waiting for the asymmetry to resolve.

He stands by his assertion that it is muscle tightness and doesn't see any further reason to worry.

I will post pics in my album today!
Old 02-24-2019, 08:17 PM   #12  
mch

Mastitis

Tuesday of this past week I started getting really bad nipple sensitivity on the right side. I noticed that I could express some white, thick material from the nipple on that side (which has happened before as Iíve written about - my doctor and i assumed it was colostrum). Over the course of about 8 hours that hypersensitivity turned into some of the worst pain Iíve had in a while; it felt like my right breast and entire right side of my torso were throbbing with pain. I also noticed that a small abscess was forming on the side of the nipple...similar to what Iíve noted in previous posts, but larger and more inflamed and on the other side of where itís been previously. Iíve since been able to express quite a bit of liquid which has felt like itís necessary to relieve the pressure. I suffered through the pain for a day and then got an emergency appt with one of the plastic surgeons at the surgery center.
He loosely diagnosed me with mastitis and wrote me a prescription for Bactrim. He did say the inflammation pattern was odd, considering my incision is in the crease and not the areola.
What I am thinking is two major things:
1. I now believe that the fluid Iíve expressed from the nipple previously has NOT been colostrum, I think itís discharge. Every time Iíve had any sort of fluid production it has been accompanied by a small access/cyst type of a thing. I suspect this is arising from the remnant of my old nipple piercing hole. The fluid comes out of the actual nipple and sometimes the abscess/cyst itself so Iím guessing most of the fluid is just being rerouted into one of the nipple ducts?
2. I am very worried that this will either reoccur (since similar things have happened before, though not as severe) or turn into a secondary issue like capsular contracture.
I have emailed my surgeon and will get his opinion.
For now Iím trying not to worry too much, and just being grateful that the antibiotics have reduced my pain by a good 90% already.
This has been quite the adventure.
Old 07-07-2019, 06:01 PM   #13  
mch

6.5 months - implant repositioning

Helloooo again! Long time no talk.
Just wanted to post a quick update.
While my mastitis cleared up and nothing ever came of it, my right implant - as I guessed - never dropped. Two days ago I went in and had the implant surgically repositioned. I'm a bit sore but otherwise doing well, and I can tell that boob looks SO MUCH BETTER already. I see my surgeon tomorrow and will follow up soon thereafter.
08-22-2019 10:43 AM
Paid Advertisement