Go Back   Just Breast Implants Forum Breast Augmentation Surgery Post-Op & Recovery Forum

|
Forgot Username/Password?
Forum Home Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Breast Augmentation Surgery Post-Op & Recovery Forum Please post all post-operative and recovery questions in this forum.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ohiomommy

When did you get back into your normal workout routine?

Old 03-15-2018, 12:37 PM

AliceAnne is on a distinguished road
When did you get back into your normal workout routine?

I am two weeks post op and am having a lot of difficulty with the inactivity required for a smooth recovery (mostly the not being able to do cardio).
Before my surgery I would spend about 30 minutes everyday doing high resistance elliptical training, as well as about 20 minutes on core work outs.
I got clearance to go on walks, as long as it doesn't raise my heart rate but, what does that even mean? I'm not sure what qualifies as too high of a heart rate.
So I've been doing 45 minutes (no incline 2 mph speed) on the treadmill everyday for the past 3 days to try to not gain any more weight, though I feel that's unavoidable. I can't see my abdominal definition very much any more and have more side pudge than I did post op.
What were some of the things you ladies did around your 2 or 3 week recovery time?

My info:
Post op weight: 105
Pre op weight: I don't want to know
Height: 5'7
Implants: 415 silicone unders
Old 03-15-2018, 01:06 PM

Blina is on a distinguished road
I am not sure of the heart rate guidelines. You might have to ask your PS. Are you able to do some light lower body/core work that doesnít involve upper body? (My BA is tomorrow so I have no idea if this is feasible at your stage of recovery) Iím thinking of things like leg raises, flutter kicks, scissors etc with your back flat on the floor. I also hope to do some easy lower body exercises with a resistance band like side steps, glute bridges etc. to keep the legs/butt from withering away. that might give you a decent mini workout that wonít affect your upper body or raise your HR too much. That is what I am hoping at least! IDK if I can go 4-6 weeks doing nothing but walking!
Old 03-15-2018, 02:17 PM

Mia514 is on a distinguished road
I’m wondering this as well. I’m only 7 days post op and I cannot wait to get back into the gym even if it’s only cardio. I was going 5 days a week and although I knew the recovery period was a decent period of time still just wanna be back already!

Also, how was it once you went back to the gym (cardio, weights) how did it feel if at all different etc? (For anyone whose experienced it)
Old 03-15-2018, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by Blina View Post
I am not sure of the heart rate guidelines. You might have to ask your PS. Are you able to do some light lower body/core work that doesnít involve upper body? (My BA is tomorrow so I have no idea if this is feasible at your stage of recovery) Iím thinking of things like leg raises, flutter kicks, scissors etc with your back flat on the floor. I also hope to do some easy lower body exercises with a resistance band like side steps, glute bridges etc. to keep the legs/butt from withering away. that might give you a decent mini workout that wonít affect your upper body or raise your HR too much. That is what I am hoping at least! IDK if I can go 4-6 weeks doing nothing but walking!
I'm going to ask about lower body today when I go in.
Walking as slow as I have been on the treadmill is driving me nuts haha. I have some ankle weights as well that I've been thinking about utilizing while walking but am not sure about how acceptable that is. I started doing squats after 7 days and was fine, but I can't stand just stationary work outs when they aren't paired with something more active.
I've taken the entire 6 weeks of recovery time off work as well so I feel almost trapped in my house, unable to do much of anything.
I feel like with how well I seem to be recovering (Can do most tasks by myself, not in too much pain, no bruising) I should be able to do more than just slowly walk.
Will post again after talking to PS.
Old 03-15-2018, 02:58 PM

Ofmalicehearts is on a distinguished road
So Iím sure I couldíve started light walking/elliptical much earlier but I did not go back to training (Iím a bikini competitor) until the 6 week mark. Even still my trainer made my workouts with light weights and my cardio consisted of walking on a treadmill at an incline 5 days a week. When I first tried to do an ab exercise at 6 weeks o felt pretty weak, but my strength has returned rather quickly. Now at 3 months I still get nervous about pushups (have not tried pull ups and donít think I will) but everything else feels back to normal.
Old 03-15-2018, 03:16 PM

ohiomommy is on a distinguished road
Follow you PS instructions. I was allowed to walk slow on my treadmill the first 6 weeks, after that I was clear to do anything (Cardio and weights) as long as it didnít hurt me

BooBitties likes this.
Old 03-15-2018, 03:58 PM

Just left PS

I got the okay to do more cardio and jog, ad well as anything lower body.
That being said, I am definitely spending more time in the gym now, though I'll probably wait until week 6 to get back to my usual routine, just to be safe.
Old 03-15-2018, 04:18 PM
I type what I'd say to you over highly caffeinated coffee

BooBitties is a glorious beacon of light BooBitties is a glorious beacon of light BooBitties is a glorious beacon of light BooBitties is a glorious beacon of light BooBitties is a glorious beacon of light BooBitties is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by AliceAnne View Post
I am two weeks post op and am having a lot of difficulty with the inactivity required for a smooth recovery (mostly the not being able to do cardio).
Before my surgery I would spend about 30 minutes everyday doing high resistance elliptical training, as well as about 20 minutes on core work outs.
I got clearance to go on walks, as long as it doesn't raise my heart rate but, what does that even mean? I'm not sure what qualifies as too high of a heart rate.
So I've been doing 45 minutes (no incline 2 mph speed) on the treadmill everyday for the past 3 days to try to not gain any more weight, though I feel that's unavoidable. I can't see my abdominal definition very much any more and have more side pudge than I did post op.
What were some of the things you ladies did around your 2 or 3 week recovery time?

My info:
Raising your heart rate opens the door to complications like seromas and hematomas - both increase your risk of having capsular contracture. Raising your heart rate means raising it above your normal resting heart rate.

At 2 weeks post op, even jogging is not recommended by just about every single surgeon. I'm surprised your surgeon gave you the ok for that. I wouldn't do it, but then again, I've been here a bit and witnessed the complications that have come from doing things way too early. Your surgeon is the boss of your boobs, follow his/her directions. If you end up with a seroma, hematoma, or early onset capsular contracture from raising your heart rate early (2 weeks is early) will the surgery be 100% on him/her or on you? That's what you need to find out. If I had a complication b/c I couldn't hang tight for 4-6 weeks until I healed and my surgeon gave me the ok to exercise, I'd hope he wouldn't charge me for draining the seroma or hematoma or for capsular contracture treatment (surgical or otherwise).

The fluffiness you are seeing is not fat, it's from the fluid from surgery. It takes time to vacate your body. I tend to get a little momma bear/big sister at times...I'm a little frustrated at what your surgeon told you, but he/she's the boss... :/

Last edited by BooBitties; 03-15-2018 at 04:25 PM.
Old 03-15-2018, 05:02 PM

NJGal will become famous soon enough
Gosh I am so glad to have seen this thread. I'm a runner and my PS said I could run at 3 weeks, which is today. UPS just delivered my new sports bra and my sneakers are next to the front door. Was planning to do a St. Patty's 5K on Saturday but now I'll definitely check with my PS at my appointment tomorrow.

After all of this I am more than happy to wait for the 6 week mark. I don't want to mess up anything, especially if raising HR can cause a hematoma!

Last edited by NJGal; 03-15-2018 at 05:41 PM. Reason: Changed month to week
Old 03-15-2018, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by BooBitties View Post
Raising your heart rate opens the door to complications like seromas and hematomas - both increase your risk of having capsular contracture. Raising your heart rate means raising it above your normal resting heart rate.

At 2 weeks post op, even jogging is not recommended by just about every single surgeon. I'm surprised your surgeon gave you the ok for that. I wouldn't do it, but then again, I've been here a bit and witnessed the complications that have come from doing things way too early. Your surgeon is the boss of your boobs, follow his/her directions. If you end up with a seroma, hematoma, or early onset capsular contracture from raising your heart rate early (2 weeks is early) will the surgery be 100% on him/her or on you? That's what you need to find out. If I had a complication b/c I couldn't hang tight for 4-6 weeks until I healed and my surgeon gave me the ok to exercise, I'd hope he wouldn't charge me for draining the seroma or hematoma or for capsular contracture treatment (surgical or otherwise).

The fluffiness you are seeing is not fat, it's from the fluid from surgery. It takes time to vacate your body. I tend to get a little momma bear/big sister at times...I'm a little frustrated at what your surgeon told you, but he/she's the boss... :/
I literally just read this while I was doing a little cardio and stopped.
My heart rate never went above 81 while I was walking on the treadmill but it got to 120 today.
PS said I didn't have to worry about that but I still took it slow (normally get up to about 160-170).
But I will probably just go back to walking now, don't want to mess anything up.
Old 03-16-2018, 07:23 AM

Kerrius is on a distinguished road
I was strangely cleared a week after surgery to return to the gym for very light cardio (not to elevate my heart rate), just walks on the treadmill and if I wanted to do leg work that involved zero weights involved (squats/lunges things of that sort) that was fine as well. I'm now at a month and was cleared to ease in a little more to the gym, but still wasn't advised to do any jogging and to really listen to my body. Prior to surgery I was in the gym 5-7 days a week heavy lifting so the thought of being out of the gym freaked me out. Hearing I could return one week later excited me even if it was for very light cardio, but if I could go back from the start I would've skipped returning so quickly. I haven't had any complications at all but I definitely think I slowed down the healing process by being a bit active so early on. I definitely recommend waiting til at least 4 weeks to get back into the gym
Old 11-05-2020, 08:16 AM

Oliver889 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by AliceAnne View Post

My info:
I had a slightly different problem. After the operation, I began to lose weight dramatically. I was helped by drugs on a natural basis. Perhaps there are medications in your case too
Old 01-19-2021, 10:03 AM

ABWright is on a distinguished road
Glad I found this group, I was looking for info on this as I am starting my research and "when can I workout again" is the first thing that has popped into my head.