Go Back   Just Breast Implants Forum Breast Lifts

|
Forgot Username/Password?
Forum Home Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Breast Lifts Please post your questions/comments about breast lifts in this forum.

Whatís the difference between loss of volume and sag?

Old 09-12-2018, 09:17 AM

Shawni2 is on a distinguished road
Whatís the difference between loss of volume and sag?

Iíve done research on how to tell if youíre sagging and feel Iím right at the border of sagging and needing a lift. I should have posted this question a month ago before I decided on the ps. I had 6 consultations after doing extensive research as to the perfect doctor. Iíve had mixed suggestions from all 6. Some have said I needed a lift and some have said I donít. Based on my measurements some think Iím just deflated. Well... my surgery is in 2 days. I decided to get the lift with b/a because I have really ugly breast and felt paying extra for the lift with b/a has one recovery and is cheaper than paying for two procedures and better than two recoveries.
I was a 34 b before having my son. I went to a 34 DD while breastfeeding. Iím very confused as to what bra size I am now. I have very wide pockets and little to no contents. I have the width of a D and the contents of a A or B. A or B bras with wires cut into the pockets and larger bras donít fit my boobs and they just dangle inside like little nasty noodles.
I have brown skin and heal with dark brown scars. I didnít like the idea of the lift because of the scars and not sure if Iím making a mistake. It would have been $3,000 cheaper if I would have done just the b/a.
Has anyone out there been borderline needing one and didnít? Where you happy? Did you regret not getting the lift?
Has anyone out there had the lift and felt like it was unnecessary? Or, where you happy?
Iím like a shade or two lighter than Halle Berry. I havenít seen many pictures of people with my skin color to know what the scar looks like long term.
Do you have brown skin and have had a lift? How have your scars turned out long term? (1+ years later)
Old 09-12-2018, 09:47 AM

bamawife is on a distinguished road
Some women lose volume after breastfeeding and/or weightloss. That is also a contributing factor to sagging. However, genetics plays a role as well. For instance, I am a D cup but sag severely. When I had my consultation, my PS asked me if I wanted to be any bigger when I have my lift. I told him "just a little". So, I am getting an anchor lift with implants. I am trying on sizers today but will not know the exact size until I come out of surgery. He told me that what ever amount of tissue he removed during my lift, he would replace with implant size.

I hope this helps you a little!
Old 09-12-2018, 11:23 AM

Lennev is a jewel in the rough Lennev is a jewel in the rough Lennev is a jewel in the rough Lennev is a jewel in the rough
Sagging aka ptosis is: drooping, lack of elasticity and downward descending of the actual breast tissue that is often accompanied by a lowering of the nipples placement on the breast.

Volume loss is: exactly like it sounds... simply a lack of volume and fullness in the breast.

Volume loss can occur on its own or you can have both volume loss and sagging together. If you only have volume loss than adding a implant is like putting air in a empty balloon. It fills it right up and you have round, perky, boobs. If you have both, you'll need the lift. If you're borderline, I'd still get the lift because you're likely going to need it eventually.

I have fairly light skin, however I'm Native American and as you may know, Native skin is notoriously unpredictable when it comes to scarring much like darker skin. So far, I'm very happy with my scarring. But I went out of my way to find a doctor who had good before and after photos of lifts on a lot of different skin types and ethnicities. I really think your choice of surgeon is absolutely paramount.

Best luck!
Old 09-12-2018, 12:03 PM

Linaki is a splendid one to behold Linaki is a splendid one to behold Linaki is a splendid one to behold Linaki is a splendid one to behold Linaki is a splendid one to behold Linaki is a splendid one to behold Linaki is a splendid one to behold Linaki is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by bamawife View Post
Some women lose volume after breastfeeding and/or weightloss. That is also a contributing factor to sagging. However, genetics plays a role as well. For instance, I am a D cup but sag severely. When I had my consultation, my PS asked me if I wanted to be any bigger when I have my lift. I told him "just a little". So, I am getting an anchor lift with implants. I am trying on sizers today but will not know the exact size until I come out of surgery. He told me that what ever amount of tissue he removed during my lift, he would replace with implant size.

I hope this helps you a little!
This is exactly the same as my daughter. She was at least a D but after twins and weight loss had loss of volume and sagging. She had a benelli lift and 350 Mod + implants. She wishes she had gone with an anchor and will do so down the road.
The Following User Says Thank You to Linaki For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2018, 04:15 PM
I type what I'd say to you over highly caffeinated coffee

BooBitties is a glorious beacon of light BooBitties is a glorious beacon of light BooBitties is a glorious beacon of light BooBitties is a glorious beacon of light BooBitties is a glorious beacon of light BooBitties is a glorious beacon of light
The fact that you said "nasty noodles" tells me everything I need to know. Get the lift.

I should have had a lift but my stubborn self refused a lift because of scarring. I called my breasts "floppy mcfloppersons" and I now have loose skin sliding off the implant. I can't even wear a swimsuit.

Implants do not lift the breast. They cannot and they will not. Gravity will always win. It may appear to do so in the early months but as time goes on, if you need a lift now and you opt out, you'll need a lift in a year or less. Stick with your plan of a BA/BL. You'll be so much happier.

As for the scars, I am the exact opposite. I'm copy paper white, practically translucent, and I blind people in the sun. I have pink undertones and it takes MONTHS for the smallest scar to lighten from bright Barbie pink to some shade of pepto bismol pink. I am not even kidding. I'm 4 years PO and my scars are still pinkish. I am not a topless dancer, nor am I a nudist (too much of a germaphobe for that!!!), so besides my husband, my plastic surgeon, and my ob/gyn who has seen everything and then some, who's going to see my scars?? No one.

If you rely on your breasts to make ends meet, then I can see where you'd definitely be on the fence. But if you are clothed the majority of the time, at the end of the day, the scars don't matter. You can't see them in a swimsuit top or bra.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BooBitties For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2018, 10:31 AM

Thank you

I had the ba/bl on Friday (9-14-18). My Dr. was amazing. He didn't do what I suggested but did what would give me the best results and so far, I can't imagine a better outcome. Choosing the right doctor resulted in the correct procedure and size without my opinion or input.

Originally Posted by BooBitties View Post
The fact that you said "nasty noodles" tells me everything I need to know. Get the lift.

I should have had a lift but my stubborn self refused a lift because of scarring. I called my breasts "floppy mcfloppersons" and I now have loose skin sliding off the implant. I can't even wear a swimsuit.

Implants do not lift the breast. They cannot and they will not. Gravity will always win. It may appear to do so in the early months but as time goes on, if you need a lift now and you opt out, you'll need a lift in a year or less. Stick with your plan of a BA/BL. You'll be so much happier.

As for the scars, I am the exact opposite. I'm copy paper white, practically translucent, and I blind people in the sun. I have pink undertones and it takes MONTHS for the smallest scar to lighten from bright Barbie pink to some shade of pepto bismol pink. I am not even kidding. I'm 4 years PO and my scars are still pinkish. I am not a topless dancer, nor am I a nudist (too much of a germaphobe for that!!!), so besides my husband, my plastic surgeon, and my ob/gyn who has seen everything and then some, who's going to see my scars?? No one.

If you rely on your breasts to make ends meet, then I can see where you'd definitely be on the fence. But if you are clothed the majority of the time, at the end of the day, the scars don't matter. You can't see them in a swimsuit top or bra.
Old 09-18-2018, 12:16 PM
I type what I'd say to you over highly caffeinated coffee

BooBitties is a glorious beacon of light BooBitties is a glorious beacon of light BooBitties is a glorious beacon of light BooBitties is a glorious beacon of light BooBitties is a glorious beacon of light BooBitties is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by Shawni2 View Post
I had the ba/bl on Friday (9-14-18). My Dr. was amazing. He didn't do what I suggested but did what would give me the best results and so far, I can't imagine a better outcome. Choosing the right doctor resulted in the correct procedure and size without my opinion or input.
Congrats! Happy healing to you I bet you look fantastic!
Old 09-18-2018, 01:00 PM

bamawife is on a distinguished road

Happy to hear you made it through and things went well. What did your surgeon do? Did you have the lift or just an augmentation?
Old 09-19-2018, 05:03 PM
Too Small, Too Big, Now Somewhere In Between!

ANewPair will become famous soon enough ANewPair will become famous soon enough
Iíve done research on how to tell if youíre sagging and feel Iím right at the border of sagging and needing a lift. I should have posted this question a month ago before I decided on the ps. I had 6 consultations after doing extensive research as to the perfect doctor. Iíve had mixed suggestions from all 6. Some have said I needed a lift and some have said I donít. Based on my measurements some think Iím just deflated. Well... my surgery is in 2 days. I decided to get the lift with b/a because I have really ugly breast and felt paying extra for the lift with b/a has one recovery and is cheaper than paying for two procedures and better than two recoveries.
I was a 34 b before having my son. I went to a 34 DD while breastfeeding. Iím very confused as to what bra size I am now. I have very wide pockets and little to no contents. I have the width of a D and the contents of a A or B. A or B bras with wires cut into the pockets and larger bras donít fit my boobs and they just dangle inside like little nasty noodles.
I have brown skin and heal with dark brown scars. I didnít like the idea of the lift because of the scars and not sure if Iím making a mistake. It would have been $3,000 cheaper if I would have done just the b/a.
Has anyone out there been borderline needing one and didnít? Where you happy? Did you regret not getting the lift?
Has anyone out there had the lift and felt like it was unnecessary? Or, where you happy?
Iím like a shade or two lighter than Halle Berry. I havenít seen many pictures of people with my skin color to know what the scar looks like long term.
Do you have brown skin and have had a lift? How have your scars turned out long term? (1+ years later)
I agree with the other women who expressed the importance of checking out several PS's and paying close attention to the cases that involve woman of color who have had breast lifts. You already have some idea of what your tendency toward scarring tends to be. Having said this, if your current scars have not formed keloids, there are far more scar treatments available now than ever, including silicone sheeting. In the absence of keloid scarring, I personally would not forego having a lift because of scars. A beautifully executed lift results in a beautifully shaped and lifted breast. Some adjectives that come to mind are youthful and perky.

I had a revision back in 2005 and although it was not known whether I would need a lift or not due my first set of implants being severely encapsulated, I quickly found out after my revision that I needed a lift despite larger implants. For whatever reason I shall never know, my former PS kept denying I needed a lift and I was made to feel that it was all in my head. It took 9 months of absolute misery and a second opinion to validate the fact that indeed I would benefit from a lollipop or vertical lift. My lift turned out beautifully and lasted for nearly 12 years.

A saggy, drooping breast can be very unattractive, but add a beast implant to a saggy, drooping breast and believe me it only amplifies how droopy the breast really is. A breast lift can be done either during the time of augmentation or you can choose to "wait and see" how you look after your augmentation. You may be perfectly content with your outcome and decide to get a lift later down the road.

The benefit of staging a BA/BL is there is no tension placed on the incisions created for the lift after implantation. Breast implants and a lift are contrary actions; one is to make the breast larger and the other is to tighten up the breast envelope. This can cause considerable tension on the incisions which can be a bit or a lot of trouble during recovery (ex. the incision dehiscing or opening up). The only downside of staging a BA/BL is that this would require 2 separate surgeries and therefore you would be paying for 2 separate procedures. The finances involved are not trivial so this needs to be taken into consideration.

Bottom line: If you are a candidate for a BL, if it were me, I would have my BA/BL rolled into one procedure if my PS felt that I was a suitable candidate for a one-stage BA/BL. I cannot even begin to tell you how dreadful my breasts looked for those 9 months after my revision and prior to my BL in 2006. If I thought my 16 year old implants looked awful due to severe encapsulation, it was nothing compared to the sight of my larger, drooping breasts. Best wishes to you!!!
Old 09-19-2018, 06:46 PM

Linaki is a splendid one to behold Linaki is a splendid one to behold Linaki is a splendid one to behold Linaki is a splendid one to behold Linaki is a splendid one to behold Linaki is a splendid one to behold Linaki is a splendid one to behold Linaki is a splendid one to behold
So please tell us what he did and how youíre doing?
Old 09-19-2018, 07:45 PM

I totally missed your update!! Congratulations on your BA/BL. Welcome to the other side!!! I am so happy to hear that you are pleased with your decision. Awesome!!! How are you feeling?
Old 09-20-2018, 04:07 PM

Feeling sad

I started feeling pain yesterday. Two days after the surgery, I noticed bruising all along my ribs under my arm pits. I started feeling numbness, a throbbing pain and tingling in my right arm. I donít know what that is but I went to my ps today and he said I have a slight hematoma. Iím at a small risk of capsular contracture and one of my stitches is slightly split. The inscision is very ripples and I scheduled an appointment with a dermatologist for next week. I feel like I paid for a Ferrari and have a Ferrari but itís wrecked on one side and thereís a slim chance it can be fixed.
Originally Posted by ANewPair View Post
I totally missed your update!! Congratulations on your BA/BL. Welcome to the other side!!! I am so happy to hear that you are pleased with your decision. Awesome!!! How are you feeling?
Old 09-20-2018, 07:53 PM

I started feeling pain yesterday. Two days after the surgery, I noticed bruising all along my ribs under my arm pits. I started feeling numbness, a throbbing pain and tingling in my right arm. I donít know what that is but I went to my ps today and he said I have a slight hematoma. Iím at a small risk of capsular contracture and one of my stitches is slightly split. The inscision is very ripples and I scheduled an appointment with a dermatologist for next week. I feel like I paid for a Ferrari and have a Ferrari but itís wrecked on one side and thereís a slim chance it can be fixed.
I am so sorry to hear that you have had a complication. Thankfully the hematoma was small and will be absorbed by your body...it's not an uncommon complication. I had one as well and thankfully never developed CC in that breast. I hope the same for you.

As far as incisions from your BL are concerned, what does your PS say? May I ask why you are seeing a dermatologist? If you have any concerns with your incisions, make sure to address them with your PS.

This is my 6th surgery and my third set of implants in nearly 30 years and I want to reassure you that you are not "wrecked" on one side. You are very, very early in your recovery. It takes a good year for scars to fade from breasts. The incisions can be very frightening looking at first. Give yourself time and keep in contact with your PS. He will tell you when to begin scar therapy. Believe me, I have felt the same way as you at one time or another. Sometimes I was correct and a minor revision was necessary, but most of the time I was wrong and everything turned out just fine. Sending you big hugs.

P.S. Post-op depression and anxiety are real! Reassurance that your recovery is proceeding normally can make all the difference. You may find that you need more reassurance during the early recovery until you start seeing positive changes in your appearance. Hang in there! It can be a very bumpy road, but it is temporary.
Old 09-20-2018, 08:02 PM

Everything that Anewpair said is true. I know it seems awful now but itís SO early. Take it a day at a time and donít judge them as they are now. It takes MONTHS for you to really see the final result. You are at the very beginning of the process. I also agree that post op depression is VERY common. The combination of the anesthesia and pain meds can really do a number on your emotions. Be kind to yourself and let yourself heal and I have no doubt things will work out. Hematoma are not uncommon and not serious and spitting stitches happens to SO many women and itís not a big deal either.
Iím not trying to minimize your feelings but I do want you to know these little bumps do not mean you wonít have a good final result. Hang in there.
Old 09-21-2018, 08:18 AM

Thank you

That is very informative. Thank you for the reply. I just want to be proactive and do what I can to prevent problems if I can. Thank yo so much.
Originally Posted by ANewPair View Post
I am so sorry to hear that you have had a complication. Thankfully the hematoma was small and will be absorbed by your body...it's not an uncommon complication. I had one as well and thankfully never developed CC in that breast. I hope the same for you.

As far as incisions from your BL are concerned, what does your PS say? May I ask why you are seeing a dermatologist? If you have any concerns with your incisions, make sure to address them with your PS.

This is my 6th surgery and my third set of implants in nearly 30 years and I want to reassure you that you are not "wrecked" on one side. You are very, very early in your recovery. It takes a good year for scars to fade from breasts. The incisions can be very frightening looking at first. Give yourself time and keep in contact with your PS. He will tell you when to begin scar therapy. Believe me, I have felt the same way as you at one time or another. Sometimes I was correct and a minor revision was necessary, but most of the time I was wrong and everything turned out just fine. Sending you big hugs.

P.S. Post-op depression and anxiety are real! Reassurance that your recovery is proceeding normally can make all the difference. You may find that you need more reassurance during the early recovery until you start seeing positive changes in your appearance. Hang in there! It can be a very bumpy road, but it is temporary.
Old 09-21-2018, 08:19 AM

Youíre a sweet heart

Thank you for your kind words Linaki.
Originally Posted by Linaki View Post
Everything that Anewpair said is true. I know it seems awful now but itís SO early. Take it a day at a time and donít judge them as they are now. It takes MONTHS for you to really see the final result. You are at the very beginning of the process. I also agree that post op depression is VERY common. The combination of the anesthesia and pain meds can really do a number on your emotions. Be kind to yourself and let yourself heal and I have no doubt things will work out. Hematoma are not uncommon and not serious and spitting stitches happens to SO many women and itís not a big deal either.
Iím not trying to minimize your feelings but I do want you to know these little bumps do not mean you wonít have a good final result. Hang in there.
The Following User Says Thank You to Shawni2 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2018, 11:43 AM

Smile

That is very informative. Thank you for the reply. I just want to be proactive and do what I can to prevent problems if I can. Thank yo so much.
You are very welcome! I wish you all the best in whatever decision you make - whether that is to let the hematoma be reabsorbed by your body or to have it surgically evacuated, if that is what you and your surgeon determine is in your best interests. Please keep us posted.
Old 09-28-2018, 09:30 AM

heymom3 will become famous soon enough heymom3 will become famous soon enough
Oh no! Sorry that you are having issues but make sure you check with your surgeon before going to a dermatologist for treatment. There are so many ways we can get capsular contracture and nobody know for sure the cause of it. I'm at risk because I had drains but if I didn't have drains I'd be at risk as well from everything I read before surgery. I thought maybe the drains the last time led to my CC but then after doing a bunch of reading I found out the risk is there just the same or greater if they don't do drains with my type of revision.
Just like everyone else has said remember you are early in the healing process so don't judge those girls yet. I'm trying hard not to judge mine. I just found a weird spot under my left one and had hubby look at it (he's a medical provider). He said its a blister and to leave it alone. If it doesn't go away by next week or gets worse I'll be taking a picture of it to send to my surgeon. My ob/gyn told me one time that women with implants are the ones quick to notice the smallest change in their breasts because we went through so much to get them that we are constantly monitoring them. Hopefully everything turns out perfect for you.