Go Back   Just Breast Implants Forum CC Amount / Size

|
Forgot Username/Password?
Forum Home Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CC Amount / Size Use this forum to discuss cc amounts and implant size.

Like Tree511Likes

Getting the Right Size Implant for Your BWD

Reply Subscribe
Old 04-25-2011, 11:01 AM
Much to be Thankful for :)

Dare is a name known to all Dare is a name known to all Dare is a name known to all Dare is a name known to all Dare is a name known to all Dare is a name known to all
Exclamation Getting the Right Size Implant for Your BWD

What is BWD, why is it important, and how do I find out what size mine is?

BWD stands for Breast Width Diameter, or Base Width Diameter. It's really not very accurate to attempt to do a self-measurement. Any surgeon at a consult can use calipers to give you an accurate BWD.

IMO, the BWD is the most critical starting point in determining which implant size is best. Too many women make the error of choosing a cc amount first, when in fact that should come last...after determining the width you need, and the projection you desire.

Let's say your BWD is 12cm's. You would want an implant with the same, 12cm, diameter, (though you'd probably be fine if you got anywhere from 11.5-12.5, as 1 cm is only about 1/3 of an inch).

Once you know what diameter/width you need to match your body, you can then select which profile you'd like.. moderate, moderate plus, or high profile. Moderate will have the least amount of projection from the side, and mod+ and HP will progressively add projection.

If you look at the specs for various profiles, in the same width/diameter, you'll notice that by adding projection you'll be adding cc amounts.

Examples of all 3 profile specs, in roughly the same diameter:

A Mentor Moderate Profile Saline Implant:

275cc
11.9cm diameter/width
3.6cm height/projection

A Mentor Moderate Plus Profile Saline Implant:

420cc
11.7cm diameter/width
5.3cm height/projection

A Mentor High Profile Saline Implant:

500cc
11.7cm diameter/width
6.7cm height/projection

All 3 have virtually the same width, and would match a woman with an 11.5-12cm BWD; the varying cc amounts are ALL in the projection.

You can view all the specs for both Mentor, Allergan, and Sientra implants, saline, silicone, and cohesive silicone by clicking on these links:
Mentor Implants
Natrelle Implants
Sientra Implants

HTH

Last edited by BFH; 11-16-2016 at 10:04 AM. Reason: update links
Old 04-26-2011, 06:38 AM
now I'm 4kids2boobs!

4kids0boobs is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Dare View Post
What is BWD, why is it important, and how do I find out what size mine is?

IMO, the BWD is the most critical starting point in determining which implant size is best. Too many women make the error of choosing a cc amount first, when in fact that should come last...after determining the width you need, and the projection you desire.

All 3 have virtually the same width, and would match a woman with an 11.5-12cm BWD; the varying cc amounts are ALL in the projection.

HTH
This was probably the MOST helpful post I've read on understanding implants sizing. Thank you thank you thank you.

My only question is, how do so many ladies on JBI know their BWD??? Did they ask their PS during consults? I know all the PS measured me, but they never informed me of the measurements and only scribbled them down on paper and/or entered them into a computer if they were using some sort of 3D imaging.

I have 3 more consults coming up and I will be sure to ask my BWD!
Old 04-26-2011, 06:50 AM
freedom is not free, thank you veterans!

GardenerGirl has a spectacular aura GardenerGirl has a spectacular aura
Haha. Yes. I asked my PS what the measurements were!!

I also asked the surgical drugs they administer via IV and how much IV fluids they normally administer.

Just remember it is all your information and they should tell you!

Don't be scared to ask! A good PS will be patient and try to help you understand everything you want to know. I took 3 pages of typed up notes to my PS appointments and my PS was very thorough in answering them!!
The Following User Says Thank You to GardenerGirl For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2011, 07:21 AM

aus_chick is on a distinguished road
Thanks for that. I was hunting for the answer everywhere without luck.
I guess they add the W because anatomical shaped implants would have different height b/c they don't have a circular base.
Old 04-26-2011, 07:34 AM

*~FAIRY~* is on a distinguished road
My PS didnt discuss cc amount or profiles. In the end I told them to max me out and he decided on the moderate profile. I kinda regret it now because I wish I could of went with the mod plus profile.

Always make sure you talk about everything.
The Following User Says Thank You to *~FAIRY~* For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2011, 10:05 AM

Dare is a name known to all Dare is a name known to all Dare is a name known to all Dare is a name known to all Dare is a name known to all Dare is a name known to all
Originally Posted by 4kids0boobs View Post
This was probably the MOST helpful post I've read on understanding implants sizing. Thank you thank you thank you.

My only question is, how do so many ladies on JBI know their BWD??? Did they ask their PS during consults? I know all the PS measured me, but they never informed me of the measurements and only scribbled them down on paper and/or entered them into a computer if they were using some sort of 3D imaging.

I have 3 more consults coming up and I will be sure to ask my BWD!
You're so welcome! Thank you for taking the time to read it.

I was lucky.. I went on 5 consults, and fortunately the first doctor told me my BWD, and explained why it was important in sizing, so I knew to ask the other 4. All 5 had me within 12.5 and 13cm's, so I felt very comfortable with my surgeon's sizing of 12.9cm's. (just as an aside, to promote multiple consults, the first surgeon was my favorite until I met #5, so I highly recommend getting multiple opinions!)
The Following User Says Thank You to Dare For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2011, 10:33 AM
Lyv

Lyv is on a distinguished road
Love this thread! I've been trying to figure out why the BWD is important online and couldn't seem to get it through my head until now lol.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lyv For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2011, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by aus_chick View Post
Thanks for that. I was hunting for the answer everywhere without luck.
I guess they add the W because anatomical shaped implants would have different height b/c they don't have a circular base.
Correct. Round implants have only the diameter and projection measurements listed in specs. Anatomicals have the width, height, and projection.

SunShinnState and CathyPro like this.
Old 05-02-2011, 11:28 AM

CVMommy is on a distinguished road
This is a great thread! Very useful to many girls preparing for ba. Thanks for sharing your wisdom in this situation.
Old 05-02-2011, 12:23 PM

SouthernBelle4 is on a distinguished road
Thank you soo much for this informative post! I have my consult tommorrow and will make sure to ask what all my exact measurements are!
Old 05-04-2011, 08:55 PM
A Positive Self Image is the First Step toward Wellness..

KelKel is on a distinguished road
Thank you! This information is SO helpful. Looking at the charts, it really helps you to narrow down a size range.

I am assuming that since I know the cc's my PS was suggesting, the implant type, and style, I can 'deduce' my BWD (which he did not give me) by working backward.

I also realize from this information, that although we have a 'choice', if we go with the BWD, there is a size or size range that is most appropriate. It takes much of the guess work out of the equation. Thanks
Old 05-04-2011, 09:09 PM

RRyder is on a distinguished road
Thank you, thank you, thank you for posting this. This had help make so much sense. I had just posted a thread on this and was completely confused. This makes so much sense.

One question, it may be silly. Are there more than 1 brand of implants? Does the brand make a difference too?
Old 05-05-2011, 01:02 AM

PinkyTwin is on a distinguished road
I just want to say thank you so much for this post. I have been reading and reading about BWD and have been so so confused. This really cleared up a lot of unanswered questions i had floating around in my had, and was starting to plan how many cc's i was going to get. Now i know that i was going about this all wrong! Thank you! This forum really is amazing, what on earth would i have done if i hadnt found it? Id seriously know nothing!

SunShinnState and Jinx369 like this.
Old 05-05-2011, 09:20 AM

blondie6 is on a distinguished road
i REALY wish i had found this site PRIOR to my breast Aug (April 29th, 2011)! I had such a hard time determining my cc's so i actually ended picking a 300 or a 325 and then asking my doctor to go ahead and decide for me when i was under! So far i'm happy with his decision but knowing this info. would have saved me many sleepless nights pre op!
Old 05-05-2011, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by KelKel View Post
Thank you! This information is SO helpful. Looking at the charts, it really helps you to narrow down a size range.

I am assuming that since I know the cc's my PS was suggesting, the implant type, and style, I can 'deduce' my BWD (which he did not give me) by working backward.

I also realize from this information, that although we have a 'choice', if we go with the BWD, there is a size or size range that is most appropriate. It takes much of the guess work out of the equation.
Thanks
Exactly! This is why I wrote this out... because I see so many women struggle needlessly. It's really not that complicated.

1. Decide on Silicone or Saline
2. Decide on projection profile, how much you want them to stick out from the side. Least amount, Moderate, more, Moderate Plus, most, HP.
3. On the implant specs page, match your BWD to the appropriate implant for the above decided factors to find the implant that's right for you, and voila...

Done! Like I said, the cc amount should be irrelevant really, it's the width and projection that matter.

Last edited by Dare; 05-05-2011 at 10:36 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dare For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2011, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by RRyder View Post
Thank you, thank you, thank you for posting this. This had help make so much sense. I had just posted a thread on this and was completely confused. This makes so much sense.

One question, it may be silly. Are there more than 1 brand of implants? Does the brand make a difference too?
Not a silly questions at all!

Yes. In the US, we use either Mentor or Allergan. They do have differing dimensions for the same profiles and cc amounts.

Example,

A Mentor, Silicone, Moderate Profile implant in the 300cc size:
13.5 cm's in diameter/width and 3.0 cm's in projection.

An Allergan, Style 40 Silicone, Moderate Profile implant in the 300cc size:
11.7 cm's diameter and 3.9 cm's projection

Mentor Silicone implants tend to have more diameter/less projection for the same amount of cc's than Allergan.

On the other hand....

Mentor Saline implants tend to have less width/more projection for the same amount of cc's than Allergan.

Refer to the original post to find the page on JBI that shows all the brands and dimensions for each type of implant.
Old 05-06-2011, 07:18 AM
LRG

LRG is on a distinguished road
Hi Dare

Very informative post thank-you so much. I'm little worried please give me your opinion.

I'm an out of state patient, i've sent pics to my doc and i've spoken to him over the phone and via email.

My surgery is scheduled for May 31 which is the first time that he will be seeing me in person. I'm to go to the office early in the am settle my balance and sign paper work then off to the surgical suite where i will meet my doctor. I have no idea what implant profile nor cc amount i will be getting. He knows my desired outcome...but is this enough?? Will i get the right implant for my bwd??? I'm starting to freak out. Should i be worried? Is this done normaly?

I emailed the office to find out anything and his office manager told me that he can't determine and implant profile or cc amount until he sees me. So i'm hoping he will have lots of implants at the suite for him to select the right now. I don't want to have any complications (bottoming out etc)

What shall i do?

SunShinnState likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to LRG For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2011, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by LRG View Post
Hi Dare

Very informative post thank-you so much. I'm little worried please give me your opinion.

I'm an out of state patient, i've sent pics to my doc and i've spoken to him over the phone and via email.

My surgery is scheduled for May 31 which is the first time that he will be seeing me in person. I'm to go to the office early in the am settle my balance and sign paper work then off to the surgical suite where i will meet my doctor. I have no idea what implant profile nor cc amount i will be getting. He knows my desired outcome...but is this enough?? Will i get the right implant for my bwd??? I'm starting to freak out. Should i be worried? Is this done normaly?

I emailed the office to find out anything and his office manager told me that he can't determine and implant profile or cc amount until he sees me. So i'm hoping he will have lots of implants at the suite for him to select the right now. I don't want to have any complications (bottoming out etc)

What shall i do?
Hi,
I can appreciate that it's stressful to do most of your contact over the internet, rather than in person. That's not to say it's a bad idea. As long as the surgeon is experienced and competent, he will know how to select the right implant size and profile to get as close to the result you're hoping for as possible.

I think the problem comes when patients insist on a specific size or profile, with cc amount limits, without taking their BWD into consideration. A surgeon will. For example, a woman that insists she wants high profiles, but doesn't want to go above 400cc's, even though she has a BWD of 14cm's. She'll most likely end up with a gap and the "grapefruit" look because the implant is so narrow for her anatomy. I see the "he should just give you what you want!" comment too often. Surgeons know better than patients.

I think it's a very good sign that your surgeon is waiting until examining and measuring you to make any size or profile assessment. Shows me that he doesn't just give women what they ask for w/o making sure it's the right fit.

Your surgeon, Dr. Sean Simon, is double board certified, and his before/after pix on his website would seem to indicate he's very good at placing the correct width implant. These are all good things! Since you're hoping for a C cup, I would guess you're looking at somewhere between 300-400cc's, depending on your build.

Best wishes for a fantastic outcome! I'm sure you'll love them

Oh, Edited To Add:
Be sure to bring in at least 3 good pictures of the look you're going for. She doesn't have to have your exact height/weight/before stats, just something that represents the proportion and look you want.

Last edited by Dare; 05-06-2011 at 09:46 AM.
LRG
Old 05-06-2011, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by mom22 View Post
My doctor didn't measure me or anything they just told me to bring a picture of what I would like to look like after the surgery and he'll pick during the surgery what to give me. Is this normal or should I consider a different doctor?
Maybe he's going to measure at your pre-op, or even in the O.R.? I'd ask.

SunShinnState likes this.
Old 05-09-2011, 05:18 PM
Officially MRS. B!!

NEwbie428 is on a distinguished road
My surgeon did all his measurements, I wish now I payed attention. But he also told me to bring a pic or two and he'll try a few in during surgery and pick the one closest to the look I want. Which is easier said than done considering I've found like 50 pics I like, and I dont know which ones are my favorite. LOL.

He did tell me somewhere between 300-350cc. I just told him I dont want my body to swallow the implants (bc it's crazy how different the same size implants look on the same height/weight people!!)
Reply Subscribe