Go Back   Just Breast Implants Forum General Breast Reconstruction > Chest Wall Reconstruction- Pectus Excavatum, Pectus Carinatum, & Poland's Syndrom

|
Forgot Username/Password?
Forum Home Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Chest Wall Reconstruction- Pectus Excavatum, Pectus Carinatum, & Poland's Syndrom The forum is for discussing specific issues regarding having a breast augmentation with chest wall deformities like PE, PC, and Poland's

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By GingerLeah

Poland's syndrome?

Old 05-14-2011, 06:19 AM

GingerLeah is on a distinguished road
Poland's syndrome?

Surgery was yesterday! and everything went well but I'm fairly certain the doctor said that I have a congenital birth defect called Poland's syndrome. Does anyone know what this is or anything about it?
Does insurance cover fixing this??

scholar likes this.
Old 05-14-2011, 06:29 AM

Oh I feel great today. I've been really amazed by how smooth this all has been going I'm not entirely sure if he did say Poland's syndrome or not, but I plan to ask post op. I looked it up and it's basically says I didn't have a breast muscle on one side. but i'm trying to learn more if possible
Old 05-14-2011, 07:40 AM

Oh I looked it up and all but I'm not going nuts researching it. But even if I did have it, It doesn't bother me because it's fixed now. Also my PS is highly certified in many different areas but i know he also is well known for reconstructive surgery or somethin like that. so no worries there. I was more just trying to figure out if insurance would cover it? I would LOVE to get free implants. lol
Old 05-14-2011, 08:04 AM

User2520 is on a distinguished road
Hi! Congrats on your new additions!

I have a different type of congenital deformity called pectus carinatum and I tried like hell to get insurance to cover my BA to no avail. It says they will cover it, but only when medically necessary and I cannot prove that breast implants will greatly improve my physical health. If yur assymetry was more than two cup sizes or if your organs were exposed on the smaller side, you may have a case. Always worth looking into. If not, I believe you can write your surgery off on your taxes.

Good luck and happy healing!
Old 05-14-2011, 08:12 AM

danzn16 is a jewel in the rough danzn16 is a jewel in the rough danzn16 is a jewel in the rough
poland's syndrome is basically a birth defect. Your PS probably just mentioned it to you because he noticed in surgery that you are missing a portion or your pec muscle or all of your pec muscle on one side. Did you go over or under? There is no way you can fix this condition, it's just the way you are. Some women with poland's syndrome can be missing a breast on one side, if that was the cause for you then it's possible insurance would cover it if you have really good insurance, but more than likely not as it's only a cosmetic issue. And they would only cover one side's repair more than likely as polands syndrome all affects one side of the body. But since you just found out about it I'm assuming you didn't even know about it, so it must just be the pec muscle.

Here's more info:
Poland syndrome is a unique pattern of one-sided malformations that are present at birth. Poland syndrome is characterized by a defect of the chest (pectoralis) muscle on one side of the body and webbing of the fingers (cutaneous syndactyly) of the hand on the same side (ipsilateral hand). The four essential features of this condition are 1) unilateral shortening of the index, long, and ring fingers, 2) syndactyly of the affected digits, 3) hypoplasia of the hand, and 4) absence of the sternocostal portion of the ipsilateral pectoralis major muscle.
In patients with Poland's syndrome, the end of the main chest muscle that normally attaches to the breastbone is missing. (This condition is referred to as aplasia of the sternal head of the pectoralis major.) On the same side of the body, nearby chest muscles (the serratus anterior and latissimus dorsi muscles) may also be absent as may be the armpit (axillary) hair. In girls, the breast on that side is also usually absent. The fingers show webbing and shortening (symbrachydactyly) on the hand on the same side, typically the index, long, and ring fingers.
Old 05-14-2011, 09:52 AM
BFH
My name is babyfromheaven and I am a bra-aholic.

BFH has much to be proud of BFH has much to be proud of BFH has much to be proud of BFH has much to be proud of BFH has much to be proud of BFH has much to be proud of BFH has much to be proud of BFH has much to be proud of BFH has much to be proud of
There is one member here that was diagnosed with Poland's syndrome when she got her implants. Her name is BarbieRocker. She doesn't log on as much any more, but she is still around. Maybe you can send her a message??
Old 05-14-2011, 11:50 AM
I <3 my JBI girls!!!

silly2010 will become famous soon enough
I have poland's syndrome. It will not cause a big problem for you. My issue is that since I am missing most of my muscle on the one side I have rippling in that one. And trying to correct asymmetry and any other issues ( larger areola on one side, or uneven creases). I am going on to surgery number 4 trying to fix my issues but I am almost at the point that nobody would ever know. My breasts are symmetric now but since the chest wall is wonky my right implant has shifted to the left.
Old 05-18-2011, 12:10 PM

sailaway is on a distinguished road
Hello I have polands syndrome. It basically means a person was born without a pectoralis major and or minor muscle amongst other things. What kind of surgery did you have? And what kind of implants? I am in first stages of preparing for considering surgery. I am 45 and have lived with an asymmetrical chest for toooo long. I am also small. 34A, AA...
Old 09-08-2011, 07:46 AM

blue1981 is on a distinguished road
I have Polands Syndrome too

I found out on my surgery day that I have Poland's syndrome too and was completely missing my pectorals major muscle on my right side. Because of this they have to go over the muscle because there is no muscle to go under. My right breast is much smaller than my left although even my left one is only a size, A. Did you get over the muscle implants too?
Old 09-08-2011, 09:42 AM

purplicious is on a distinguished road
polands syndrome is covered by most insurance just so you know! i had a tubular congenital breast deformity and was able to get it covered which is rare, but my ps mentioned during initial consult that polands is covered
Old 09-11-2011, 10:37 AM

Stylist08 is on a distinguished road
I also have polands syndrome and went for my surgery consultation the first week of august. My PS submitted it to my insurance, and it is still in the predetermination department I am told. Im so anxious though, I can hardly control myself! Ive been researching since I went, and am praying everyday that insurance will give me the boobies Ive been longing for!! I should find out in the next couple weeks, then Im hoping for my surgery around the 1st of the year!
Old 07-11-2013, 07:50 PM
Eagerly anticipating bra shopping!!!

scholar is on a distinguished road
I have it as well. I'm 33 and finally ready to do something about it. It's been bothering me since I was 12. Now the hard part is seeing if insurance will cover it!
Old 07-16-2013, 10:21 AM

jas777 is on a distinguished road
I too found out I had Polands after my surgery!! My PS did mention that in certain cases i.e. organs are exposed that insurance would cover at least some of it. From what I understand though, most insurance companies will only cover the affected side.
Old 08-20-2013, 06:14 AM
Eagerly anticipating bra shopping!!!

scholar is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by jas777 View Post
I too found out I had Polands after my surgery!! My PS did mention that in certain cases i.e. organs are exposed that insurance would cover at least some of it. From what I understand though, most insurance companies will only cover the affected side.
From what I've seen, most don't cover it at all unless it causes functional impairment. Which really bugs me.
Old 08-28-2013, 02:41 PM

PrincessJulie is on a distinguished road
help

so i am new to this and dont really know where to post my question,
i am hoping on getting breast surgary and iv been looking into going to poland.
i know someone who had it done there for cheap also her nose and she has had no complications yet.
how i wondered if anyone has had their boobs done in nottingham and the prices
as in the long run feel it would work out cheaper.
Old 08-28-2013, 02:45 PM

August152013 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by PrincessJulie View Post
so i am new to this and dont really know where to post my question,
i am hoping on getting breast surgary and iv been looking into going to poland.
i know someone who had it done there for cheap also her nose and she has had no complications yet.
how i wondered if anyone has had their boobs done in nottingham and the prices
as in the long run feel it would work out cheaper.
I would post this as a separate thread on the general breast augmentation discussion page. The girls on this thread are talking about a specific physical condition called "poland's syndrome"

Good luck!!
Old 09-04-2018, 10:15 AM

Odie01 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by purplicious View Post
polands syndrome is covered by most insurance just so you know! i had a tubular congenital breast deformity and was able to get it covered which is rare, but my ps mentioned during initial consult that polands is covered
Mine did not cover any of the 3 surgeries because if it does not affect your internal organs it is considered cosmetic regardless of the birth defect.