Go Back   Just Breast Implants Forum Other Plastic Surgery Procedures & Cosmetic Dentistry > Cosmetic Dentistry & Orthodontics

|
Forgot Username/Password?
Forum Home Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Cosmetic Dentistry & Orthodontics Discuss veneers, braces, teeth whitening, and other things related to making over your smile.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Gingy0507

Ceramic Braces

Old 02-13-2017, 03:57 AM

Gingy0507 is on a distinguished road
Ceramic Braces

Hello everyone!

I've been a member of JBI for a while (I got a breast augmentation in September 2016) and got clear ceramic braces on my top teeth in January 2017 and will have metal braces placed on my bottom teeth later this month.

My orthodontist went over several options with me, including Invisalign etc but I liked that the orthodontist had more "control" over my progress with the ceramic braces vs Invisalign (and his expertise is what I chose him for) because the Invisalign are made off-site by them and not by the Orthodontist.

It's only been just over a month and I am happy with them. No one notices I have braces at all and I liked that he spaced out placing braces on the top and bottom teeth as the procedure is a little lengthy when you have to keep your mouth open and it made my gums quite sore for a while. I feel like it would have beeen too much to have both the top and bottom be so sore at the same time. I will update my journey periodically on here for those who may be interested in the clear ceramic braces.

My only complaint is eating lol I forgot how much gets stuck in your braces and can be quite awkward if you are eating in a boardroom meeting with colleagues or outside people. I have to quickly dash to the washroom to floss and brush my teeth and hope a giant lettuce leaf is not stuff in my braces while we are talking! LOL

grnfox likes this.
Old 02-18-2017, 08:08 AM

Chanel (.Y.) is on a distinguished road
Ooh interesting. I've worn an invisalign retainer at night for years because one of my front two teeth is an ahole. I've considered braces but hate the idea at 29.
Old 02-22-2017, 03:55 AM

Has your ortho ever discussed putting the permanent "bar" across the back of your front top and bottom teeth? Once my treatment is complete, my ortho will place a "bar" in order to prevent those teeth from moving again. Apparently, it is normal for them to move after a while even after treatment with braces/Invisalign. My ortho has the bar behind his teeth and several people I work with got it placed as well.
Old 02-22-2017, 04:48 PM

I've asked for it and they told me it's not as common practice anymore because it's hard to clean. He recommended a fiberotomy. The fibers in your gums are like elastic and want to revert back to their original positions. A periodontist cuts the gums and they heal in their new positions to stay put. Apparently it's a very minor procedure and there is little discomfort. I just need to schedule a consult...
Old 02-23-2017, 03:45 AM

Interesting! I may have to ask about that as well just so I can weigh the options; although, I'm only 6 weeks into my treatment so I have some time yet before I have to worry about that.

My ortho has decided not to put my bottom brackets on for another 2-3 months. He wants to see how the top shift and move so he can decide how to approach the bottom crowding by either 1. Removing a healthy tooth to make room or 2. Filing my bottom teeth a bit to make the space.

I got a stronger wire put on yesterday and a "tie" on one of my top teeth - I had quite the headache last night but I'm feeling better this morning.

My top teeth moved around a bit already and it's only been 6 weeks! I'm hoping this means I may not have to wear my braces for the full two years lol that may be wishful thinking.
Old 02-24-2017, 03:11 PM

Hopefully! I'm sure they'll look great in the end. I hate being self conscious about my smile, it's the worst!
Old 10-30-2020, 07:36 AM

MattRandalloK6 is on a distinguished road
I had braces when I was 16. It was an awful experience. First of all, they look ugly. I wanted invisible braces and placed them from the inner side of the jaw. But my parents couldnít afford them. So the high school time was horrible for me, and I had to wear ugly metal braces and to hear a lot of jokes about myself. The saddest part, that braces, didnít fix my teeth, and they became sensitive to hot and cold food and drinks. I had dental caries after wearing braces and had to spend a lot of money to fix my teeth. Later, I found out about tallah aligners. They work, almost like braces, but they are invisible and do not make your teeth sensitive.