Go Back   Just Breast Implants Forum General Breast Augmentation Discussion

|
Forgot Username/Password?
Forum Home Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General Breast Augmentation Discussion This forum is for general questions about breast augmentation and breast implants.

Like Tree7Likes
  • 6 Post By Neonny
  • 1 Post By Neonny

My pre-op yesterday - DOs and DONTs (long and detailed post)

Old 01-08-2015, 09:38 AM

Neonny is on a distinguished road
My pre-op yesterday - DOs and DONTs (long and detailed post)

I had my pre-op yesterday and here is all the information I have about my upcoming BA. However these are just my surgeons guidelines and instructions, so make sure you follow everything your surgeon says. I just post it so maybe it could help some people with the questions they have.

PRE-OP INSTRUCTIONS
- no food or drink should be taken after midnight the day of surgery. This includes gum and mints. You may take prescribed morning medicine with sip of water.
- do not take any aspirin or aspirin-containing products for 2 weeks before the surgery. Many OTC cough and cold remedies contain aspirin.
- do not take any pain medicine that has ibuprofen or is considered an NSAID for 2 weeks before surgery.
- Vitamin E (multivitamins that have E vit in it), fish oil (and other fatty acids), evening primrose oil, borage seed oil, flax seed oil, ginger, garlic, ginko, ginseng, and feverfew should be stopped 2 weeks before.
- stop taking any diet pills 2 weeks before surgery.
- any other prescription medication should be stopped only with the approval of your primary physician. I am allowed to take birth control and my anxiety meds (Wellbutrin).
- you must stop smoking for at least 4 weeks before and 4 weeks after your surgery. Also don't use nicotine patches or gum.
- SUPPLIES I need: antibacterial soap (Dial, Level 2000) and Bacitracin ointment
- for 3 days before the surgery, was your entire body (especially your breast area) with the antibacterial soap. Wash the night before the surgery and the morning of the surgery 3 times with soap. Do not use lotion, deodorant, powders, perfume.

DAY OF SURGERY
- wear comfortable and loose fitting clothes, especially a short or jacket that buttons down (or has a zipper). Wear flat heeled shoes.
- my surgery is at 8AM and I have to be at the surgery center at 7.20AM. My husband will bring me. He can either wait there or go home and pick me up later. However my surgeon want to talk to him and tell him everything about the surgery and how to take care of me.

AFTER THE SURGERY
- you must have a responsible adult to drive you home and stay with you for the first 24 hours after surgery.

POST-OP CARE
- I will have piece of tape on my incisions after surgery. I have to leave it on until I return at one week post-op appointment.
- I may use ice packs on my breast, but I don't have to. It's up to me. But don't apply ice directly to the skin.
- take medication according to the instructions. The greatest period of discomfort is the first 12-24 hours. I may need to take 2 of the narcotic pain meds every 4 hours during that period. My surgeon prescribed me antibiotics, pain meds, meds for nausea. I also asked for some muscle relaxers. And he also prescribed me a anti-nausea patches I have to put on before my surgery.
- you can expect to feel some discomfort, such as muscle soreness, sharp shooting pains for as long as 2 weeks after your surgery. If you have trouble sleeping, take Benadryl.
- start your antibiotics after surgery. Pain meds can cause constipation, so please do whatever you need - laxatives, stool softeners.
- avoid drinking alcohols as long as you are on the prescribed medications. My surgery in next Friday, and I have a party this Saturday. My doctor said I can have couple of beers then. He said just avoid drinking a lot.
- DIET: start with liquids (sprite, jello, juice) then progress to a regular diet as tolerated. Some patients experience nausea after anesthesia.

PHYSICAL ACTIVITY
- do not stay in bed. Walk around, sit in a chair. Continue to cough and breathe deeply to expand your lungs. You may resume to easy walking when you feel up to it. Be sure to wear a good support bra.
- do not lift more than 10 pounds for 3 weeks. Use care when lifting your arms, they will be sore for several days. Avoid jerking motions. You may resume upper body exercises after 4-6 weeks.
- do not drive until you are no longer taking narcotic pain meds and you are confident you can react to driving conditions.
- sleep on your back or side for the first 2-3 weeks. This is to protect your incisions. If you lie on your side, you may be more comfortable with a small pillow or a towel supporting your breasts. He also said if you sleep on your side, make sure you switch side, don't just sleep on one side the whole time. And if you sleep on your back, stay elevated.

PERSONAL HYGIENE
- you may take a shower 24 hours after surgery. Have someone in bathroom to assist you. No baths or submerging incisions for 4 weeks. Shower only!!!!!!
- remove your bra before showering.
- during the first week after surgery, you will have steri-strips covering you incisions. Leave the tape in place while showering. It's ok if the tape gets wet. Pat the tape dry after showering and or dry with a hairdryer on a cool setting.
- you may wash and dry your hair, but be careful with raising your arms above your shoulders.
- after shower, put on a clean bra. Please remember your breasts will be tight, shiny, and even unnatural looking at first. It takes up to 8 weeks for your muscles and skin to relax and for your breasts to take on a natural look. One muscle may be "clamping" down harder than the other, causing one breast appear higher.

SURGICAL BRA
- do wear your surgical bra at all time, day and night, until your first post-op appointment. After that you may purchase a bra that is supportive. The bra may have an underwire as long as the wire does not stick into your breasts. A shaping bra is usually preferred. He said the Walmart Fruit of the Loom is good one.
- do wash your bra. Soak or was souiled bra on cold gentle cycle. Use hydrogen peroxide to remove stains. Allow to air dry.

DISPLACEMENT EXERICES
AftEr your first post-op appointment, you will be instructed whether you need to begin displacement exercises. These exercises consist of moving the implants around in its pocket and are used to allow for a softer pocket to form around the implant and insure a more natural look as a final result. To perform, begin by pressing in on the lower part of the breast to push the implant upwards and allowing it to return to the starting position. Do this 20 times. Next push your breasts together and allow them to return to the starting position. Do this 20 times. Do the combined regime once a day. You can also do it in the shower.

SCAR MANAGEMENT
- do begin scar massage after approx 3 weeks or when the areas are healed and there are no scabs. He didn't recomment any specific brand, but he said ScarGuard or Mederma are good. Whatever scar management you choose, continue for the first 3 months.

DENTAL PROCEDURES
- please consult your dentist prior to dental procedures for a short coarse of antibiotics.

- please contact our office ASAP - pain, swelling or bruising on one side greater them other. Temperature over 100.3F. Redness on the breasts extending beyond the incisions. Blistering along the dressing. Rashes on the breasts. Nausea or vomiting associated with mediaction.

SOME OF THE QUESTIONS I ASKED
1. Contact lenses - I can not wear contact lenses during surgery.
2. Periods - no problem. I can wear a tampon if I want. Only problem is I may have hard times changing it after surgery. Hmm, I don't think I'll ask my husband to do it. Lol.
3. Arnica, bromelain - I can take it but it's not required. My surgeon said I shouldn't have much bruising.
4. Complications - he said we will deal with it when it happens. He haven't had may cases. He said that there is a study that smokers get capsular contracture more easily, but he said all the CC cases he have had, non of them were smokers. CC is something you can't avoid, it's your body's reaction. However he said you can avoid bottoming out. It usually happens if implants are too heavy and too big for your body. Or for example, if you go running or do lots of jumping too soon after surgery.

I know this post is long. But I hope it's helpful for some of you. My surgery is next Friday so about week away and I'm excited. Also my BWD is 11.5 and I wanted to get 500-550cc HP unders, round, silicones. However my surgeon said my skin is too thin and I have no breast tissue. So he will try 500cc, but if they look too big or don't fit he will do either 475 or 450. And that's fine with me as I trust him 100%.
If any yall have any guestions, let me know. Sorry about any spelling errors, I typed it all up on my phone and didn't read it through after.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Neonny For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2015, 10:24 AM

Erszebet527 will become famous soon enough
Thanks for posting that; it did answer some of my questions But I have a dumb question now: I'm curious as to why the dental procedures were mentioned. Was that just on a list of recommendations your surgeon gives out for all surgeries, a typo, or is there some dental procedure that can somehow affect implants? I'd always thought there was enough distance between my teeth and my breasts that the two didn't really affect each other.
Old 01-08-2015, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by Erszebet527 View Post
Thanks for posting that; it did answer some of my questions But I have a dumb question now: I'm curious as to why the dental procedures were mentioned. Was that just on a list of recommendations your surgeon gives out for all surgeries, a typo, or is there some dental procedure that can somehow affect implants? I'd always thought there was enough distance between my teeth and my breasts that the two didn't really affect each other.
It's not a dumb guestion. I didn't ask about this. I'm honestly not 100% sure exactly the reason. But the way I understand it is that whenever you get any dental procedures done, the natural bacteria that lives in your mouth gets into your body and causes infections and that can cause capsular contracture.

Here is a link, there is some information about this. It's the 3rd topic.
http://www.dbreath.com/blog/caring-f...s-to-know-now/

Erszebet527 likes this.
Old 01-09-2015, 04:30 AM

Erszebet527 will become famous soon enough
Thanks, that was pretty helpful but it does make me wonder what ramifications it might have for women who get yeast infections from taking antibiotics. Definitely gonna bring this up with my PS!
The Following User Says Thank You to Erszebet527 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2015, 08:19 AM

!SamBam2015! is on a distinguished road
Thanks for posting this! Very informative! Hope your surgery goes smoothly, good luck!
The Following User Says Thank You to !SamBam2015! For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2015, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by Erszebet527 View Post
Thanks, that was pretty helpful but it does make me wonder what ramifications it might have for women who get yeast infections from taking antibiotics. Definitely gonna bring this up with my PS!
I have the same problem, that's why avoid taking antibiotics whenever I can. But I am planning on buying some probiotics after I'm done with antibiotics. And I'm also trying to boost my immune system. Eat healthy, get good rest, hydrate. Fingers crossed. But ill ask about the same thing from my surgeon.
Old 01-09-2015, 06:35 PM

smiles85roses is on a distinguished road
Does anyone know if the guidelines like the 8 weeks that you mentioned are different when also getting a lift?
Old 01-10-2015, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by smiles85roses View Post
Does anyone know if the guidelines like the 8 weeks that you mentioned are different when also getting a lift?
Every surgeon has different quids lines. Even someone who is getting the same implants that me and all her stats are same, just cause we have different surgeons, guidelines are different. I just posted this as general information.