Go Back   Just Breast Implants Forum General Breast Augmentation Discussion

|
Forgot Username/Password?
Forum Home Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General Breast Augmentation Discussion This forum is for general questions about breast augmentation and breast implants.

Like Tree1739Likes

♥ Boobies For Noobies ♥

Reply Subscribe
Old 05-12-2010, 11:24 AM
♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

mooboobies is just really nice mooboobies is just really nice mooboobies is just really nice mooboobies is just really nice
Post ♥ Boobies For Noobies ♥

There are a lot of things that aren’t necessarily covered pre and post-op at your surgeons office. Some things that are so bizarre they could potentially scare the crap out of you! Here’s a list of some things I couldn't live without, I wish I had known before my breast augmentation, in addition to tips I’ve learned along the way.

This is pretty lengthy, so read it at your own convenience.

PRE-OP

♥Add money to your surgery cost, it makes it less shocking. I spent about $500 on things, extra bras because I swelled so bad I needed a new one, extra ice packs, a cleaner, drinks and snacks, button-up pajamas, pillows, etc. Having a set amount put aside allows you to get it, or send someone to get it for you.

♥Research around, look here for tips we’ve all posted about must-haves post-op. Make as much usage of the Search Feature as you possibly can.

♥Wedge pillow, back pillow (with arm rest), and/or C-shaped neck pillow. You can find these at Bed, Bath & Beyond, Target, Walmart, and similar places for under $25.00. These are necessary because you can easily “turtle” and get stuck on your back. Sleeping in a reclining position is the best way to sleep, most of us slept this way the first week. If you have a reclining chair, all the better.

♥Ice packs; ideally you want something that is not hard and will easily mold. Peas are great but if you fall asleep with them, they can bind together (and stink). I’d recommend using gel packs and buy 6-8. I used 4 at a time, 2 for the top of my breasts and 2 for the bottom. Having a spare set lets you rotate them. You need to use ice to help with swelling.

♥Moist heat pack; Do NOT use heat on your breasts, this is for your back. You will hunch a lot and it caused my back to hurt more than my chest. Moist heat and even a 3 minute massage on the muscles on either side of your spine 3 times a day will help with this. Try not to hunch, don’t worry – you won’t hurt anything sitting up straight.

♥Have a box or bag you can keep next to your recovery area, put all things you need in it. Your surgeons phone number, emergency contacts, a baggie or easy-open container to put your meds in (opening pill bottles is HARD and nearly impossible), remotes for the TV, crackers, straws, and anything you can think of that you want nearby. Keep extra blankets as some of us had a lot of pain that can put you into shock (you shake and get cold).

♥Have an alarm of sorts that you can set as a pill reminder. I used my iPhone to remind me to take my pain medication every 5 hours. Keeping a medicinal level in your system is helpful (if you’re having problems with pain).

♥Get someone to help you; you should want someone for a week. Have them help with things you normally do, and help you out so you don’t have to get up and down as much. Don’t lose control because your house is messy and overdo it and risk hurting yourself (I did, and nearly ended up having to get a revision because of it). This is a big investment; add the price of a cleaner to your surgery cost if you must.

♥Ask your PS if you will be coming home in a bandage or bra. If it’s a bra, ask for an extra one that’s a size bigger. Swelling can get pretty extreme.

♥Ask your PS in advance how he or she handles pain management. Some girls had problems with very conservative surgeons sending them home with 10 pain pills and refusing a refill. Clearly surgeons should be cautious to avoid addiction, but it’s their job to make the best call and keep their patients comfortable and pain-free. As someone who saw several women suffering greatly with no pain management, I’d highly recommend you find out in advance how your PS handles these situations. Mine was great, thankfully, but it’s worth checking into.

♥Ask your PS or check paperwork about what costs you’re responsible for in the event a revision is necessary due to complications or inability to place the desired size (some of us couldn’t get the size we wanted because it wouldn’t fit).

♥Get someone to drive you for your first post-op appointment, possibly your second. As easy as it may seem, you may be surprised when you get in your car and find out it’s very hard and painful to turn the wheel, put on your seatbelt and close your door.

POST-OP

♥You may wake up from surgery pain free, often times you’re given a freezing shot that lasts into the wee hours of the next morning. A good way to avoid waking up in pain is to take a pain pill as late as possible before you go to bed.

♥What is that squishy, bubbly feeling?! Air and blood can and probably will be in and around your breasts going up high or down low. It’s a squishy bubbly feeling and it’s normal. Air gets in when they’re doing the surgery and there’s obviously going to be bleeding. This is perfectly normal, can be uncomfortable but should go away in usually a week, sometimes two.

♥Did I just hear something? Oh yes, the air can make sounds, too. It’s been named everything here from breast gurgles to boobie farts. This can take a week or two to pass, also. It’s normal as well; try to see the humor in it.

♥Why do other things hurt except/in addition to my boobs? Surgery is a pretty big shock to the body, and what our body goes through during an augmentation is very intense. Watch some surgery videos if you can stomach it. Your shoulders, arms, back, ribs, etc. can hurt. Not only do we go through a great trauma, but we are guarded post-op and over compensate to avoid hurting our boobs, we end up using poor body mechanics and can cause pain elsewhere (like your back). Hunching puts a lot of strain on your back muscles as well as pulls on your SI/lumbar area (tailbone region). If you have a history with sciatica, don’t be alarmed if you have a flare up from doing “the robot”.

♥UH, why am I bloated? This is NORMAL. Don’t panic; don’t go on a crash diet. I have seen a ton of people come out bloated. We want to take new pictures and the best part is looking at most people’s first week post-op pics, we all conveniently tried to crop out of bloated bellies. This will go away much like the gurgles; it can take 1-3 weeks. I really have no idea why this happens, but I do know it’s common. You just have to suck it up and remember it will go away.

♥I can’t poop! Try to take stool softeners BEFORE you take your pain medications. Find one that says clearly on the bottle “NON CRAMPING”. Pain medicine can block you up faster than you can imagine and the last thing you want to do is being struggling on the toilet post-op.

♥I’m nauseous! If you have had problems with nausea in your past when taking medications. Get a prescription for anti-nausea meds before you even go home from surgery. Phenergan worked well for me.

♥What’s that taste? If your PS gave you a sleep aid, keep in mind Lunesta will leave a VERY foul taste in your mouth for up to 24 hours. I’d ask for Ambien or something else, personally. Anesthesia can also leave a gross taste in your mouth which takes the same amount of time to pass. I found that iced coffee was the only thing that didn’t taste gross.

♥My post-op bra hurts me! If the seams in your post-op bra irritate you, wear it inside out. If you have crease incisions, get an old t-shirt or something that’s cotton and cut it into strips. Place it under the band of your bra to prevent rubbing. It should help out tons.

♥My nipples are stuck “ON”. If you DON’T have areola incisions, you can use silicone nipple petals to chill them out. You can buy them anywhere from Target to Nordstrom. I had high nipple sensitivity and found these were very helpful. I even put lidocaine on my nipples which didn’t help.

♥I think I messed something up!! A lot of us did this; you lose footing and hear a pop. Most of the time it’s OK. It’s scarier than anything, heck; a lot of us had no pain. Call your PS if you experience any pain after a “pop” incident. You’ll know what it is when it happens to you, it probably will – it’s scary, and upsetting. You’ll probably be OK.

♥There’s a hole in my incision! Call your PS! This could be a few things. You could have torn it; your body could be rejecting internal sutures and is basically “spitting them out”. If there’s discharge, your PS may drain it and resuture externally. I tore mine and it was OK, I was put on antibiotics (oral and cream), I’m not sure about stitch spitting but lots of girls here had it happen and turned out OK.

♥Scar treatment! Do NOT start this without approval by your PS. If your incision isn’t fully healed (it may look like it) and you put silicone scar gel on it you can cause yourself some problems.

♥Burning pain on sides of breasts and under breasts. Basically, any burning pain is usually because your nerves are healing. Nerves are sensitive and when they are stretched, they will need to heal. Healing nerves can cause bizarre and sometimes painful sensations. Vitamin C is known to help nerves heal. If your pain is constant and severe a few months post-op, you may be put on Neurontin. It will eventually die down (except in rare cases). It can feel scary, and most of us think something is wrong because of it.

♥If you think you have problems, look for signs. Increased pain, increased swelling, redness, warmth (your skin on the painful area can get warm, could be an infection. Call your PS to get checked.

♥Your breasts can heal any way they want; right to left, inside out, outside in, etc. They can also drop and fluff any way they want. One may drop before the other, keeping pictures of your progress really help you to keep track of changes.

BE PATIENT. I wasn’t, none of us are – but we like to say this a lot!
They may look too big, too small, uneven, higher, lower and everything in-between. Your breasts will keep changing up to a year post-op. Wait at least 3 months for solid changes. Your breasts will be high, hard, maybe even rectangular or square, and so on. This is normal. We all had crazy boobs.
Morning boob. If you’ve heard about morning wood, you can figure this one out yourself. It’s normal.

Remember this♥ You paid not only for pre-operative care and your surgery, but also for post-operative care. Don’t worry about sounding needy, dramatic, or anything else. Call your plastic surgeon if you’re worried about something. Be your own advocate, and if you can’t, find someone who will be. This is a wonderful informative website, but don’t use it as a replacement for your surgeon. If something truly worries you, check with your surgeon or primary care physician. You cannot take any chances with your health.

♥Finally, ENJOY this for what it's worth. This is, in most cases, something we've all dreamed of. Try to make it the best experience possible and think of the end result. Protect your investment. Remember life before this, save your before picture to reflect upon if you forget how things were. This helps for boobie greed, too.

Congratulations on your new and/or upcoming boobies!

Hopefully although this is very long, you were able to learn some of what to expect or have on hand to make things easier.

eve, mellat, Dare and 1458 others like this.
Old 05-12-2010, 08:25 PM

25mom is on a distinguished road
Thank you! I'm trying to keep a list of things I need before and after, along with a list of questions for my next appt. I'm afraid I didn't ask enough at my initial consultation. I had done so much research, and my PS took so much time explaining things, that I thought I didn't have any questions. Now I keep thinking of things I meant to ask and didn't. So this will help add to my lists. Thanks again.
Old 05-13-2010, 08:11 AM
♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

mooboobies is just really nice mooboobies is just really nice mooboobies is just really nice mooboobies is just really nice
Thanks for the feedback and you're all very welcome for the post. I was hoping I'd have time to edit in some links but I was too slow. Any and everyone is more than welcome to add on here. I know some things are hard to search on this forum, mainly small words, like "bra". I wish I added something about VS in that while it's the first place most of us get a fitting, they almost never carry small bands and bigger or double cup sizes (except online) and some can and will, put you in an ill fitting bra.

I was so happy to have a new "grown up bra" I didn't even see how absurd it was I paid for a 36D. It tents at the sides, and is a horrible fit. So if you make it down this far, go get a GOOD fitting at Nordstrom. Not all VS's are bad, but considering the history a lot of us have (those of us who have discussed it, atleast) - they're OK putting you in something that doesn't fit you.

Nordstrom can be more expensive, but, they carry brands you can find elsewhere. Get fitted, pick brands and find out your size in them, then go look on Amazon, go to Nordstrom Rack, Marshalls, TJ Maxx, etc. Plus, based off of experience, even when I was small breasted and wore VS bras, the underwire always popped out within 2 months of owning it. I do like their wireless bras, but buy them online since they don't carry my size in store.
Old 06-01-2010, 10:26 AM

mugen is on a distinguished road
PLEASE be very careful about taking stool softeners BEFORE taking medication. I did this and ended up with terrible diarrhea. Not everyone get constipation. I would strongly recomend seeing how your body reacts to the pain meds first.
Old 07-17-2010, 09:20 PM

chica_bonita is on a distinguished road
THIS IS REALLY EXPLANATORY... LIKE IT!
BUT I DIDN'T GET THIS PART...WHAT IS A "POP"?

♥I think I messed something up!! A lot of us did this; you lose footing and hear a pop. Most of the time itís OK. Itís scarier than anything, heck; a lot of us had no pain. Call your PS if you experience any pain after a ďpopĒ incident. Youíll know what it is when it happens to you, it probably will Ė itís scary, and upsetting. Youíll probably be OK.

ldc89, Dixie21, #Excited and 4 others like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to chica_bonita For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2010, 07:14 AM
♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

Originally Posted by chica_bonita View Post
THIS IS REALLY EXPLANATORY... LIKE IT!
BUT I DIDN'T GET THIS PART...WHAT IS A "POP"?

♥I think I messed something up!! A lot of us did this; you lose footing and hear a pop. Most of the time itís OK. Itís scarier than anything, heck; a lot of us had no pain. Call your PS if you experience any pain after a ďpopĒ incident. Youíll know what it is when it happens to you, it probably will Ė itís scary, and upsetting. Youíll probably be OK.
Sorry I missed your post. It's the hardest thing to explain, actually. It's one of those things you have to do to 'get it'. Which hopefully you don't! It's not as drastic as say, when your knee pops. I'd say if you took a small fraction of how that feels (1/8?) that's a similar feeling.

Basically, regardless of where you have surgery if you do something that's jarring this can happen. I did it to my arm after my nerve transposition (which hurt so bad I didn't cry in fear of it hurting more). When I did it to my boob, it actually wasn't painful, it was just terrifying.

You'll all probably do something scary, it's not uncommon from what I've learned here. As soon as you lose your footing or something, everything catastrophic rushes through your head. Did it pop, did it move, did I tear the stitches, the pocket, etc? Odds are you didn't unless you took a pretty big spill or something similar.

Again, if you do anything that you think may have compromised your incisions, pockets, etc. or experience MORE pain than usual, swelling, redness, and so on. Call your PS. It's always best to be safe than sorry. Everyone should have free post-op appointments for up to a year after surgery, so there's no reason NOT to get checked out if you're worried.

Hope that helps.
Old 09-17-2010, 07:22 PM
Consultation scheduled for Feb. 24th!

tigerelise will become famous soon enough tigerelise will become famous soon enough
Lol.. I just had to say that I have "Morning Boob" with my NATURAL breasts. Hahahaha. They are tight, high, perky, and firm in the morning and very soft, loose, and saggy feeling in the evening.

VISIT WEBSITE
DOCTOR PROFILE
The Following User Says Thank You to tigerelise For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2011, 06:08 AM
Loving the boobies!!!

Dessire has a spectacular aura Dessire has a spectacular aura
Thank you thank you thank you! My surgery is in 2 1/2 weeks and I have started a word document where I copy and paste tips from JBI. I'm copying your entire post! You have a lot of good advice and I'm sure I'll use some of it. Thanks again!
The Following User Says Thank You to Dessire For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2011, 09:21 PM

SpikesSerenity is on a distinguished road
Thank you! My surgery is in a little over 2 weeks and this will come in handy. Printed it out and put it in my surgery folder.
The Following User Says Thank You to SpikesSerenity For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2011, 10:56 PM

rosasharn78 is on a distinguished road
Thank you so much for this! I had to come back and re-read it for my upcoming surgery & it's been tremendously helpful.

HeatherR711 and Beachy Girl like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to rosasharn78 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2011, 11:37 PM

NoTSoChesty is on a distinguished road
Thank you SO much for this!! Well written and I'm sure within the next few weeks will prove to be very helpful!

bootsiedale likes this.

NoTSoChesty's plastic surgeon is David B. Reath, M.D.
VISIT WEBSITE
DOCTOR PROFILE
The Following User Says Thank You to NoTSoChesty For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2011, 01:34 PM

TigerLilly79 is on a distinguished road
My surgery is in 3 days!! Thanks so much for posting this..Very valuable info..I think this should become a boobie bible if you will (don't mean this in a disrespectful or sacreligious way) and should become a sticky on here for everyone to look at.. Thanks a bunch !!
Old 05-15-2011, 02:22 PM

snow white is on a distinguished road
Very informative! Thank you! I had to get all these tips one by one from other threads but now it's in one post!

I had already bought my neck pillow but I didn't even think about the back pillow etc!

Lucy77 and Beachy Girl like this.
Old 05-15-2011, 05:29 PM

prettyinpink18 is on a distinguished road
My favourite post!

I feel like printing this off and keeping it around for quick reference. Thanks for taking the time to outline these things for us noobies wanting (and getting) boobies!

Beachy Girl likes this.
Old 05-25-2011, 06:02 PM
Love my boobies!

boobettes is on a distinguished road
Thank you! This is awesome. I only know ONE person who has had a BA, and I'm sure she's tired of hearing me ask questions. This answered a lot of them for me.
Old 05-25-2011, 09:16 PM

OnefitMama is on a distinguished road
Thank you! Awesome post! Love the pillow part because I'm a stomach/side sleeper and am wondering how I am going to sleep on my back! One thing I'm really curious about too is, do you get like boob shock after? I feel like I'm just going to be like "holy crap" everytime I look down or feel them! I am so freakin excited though! Love this site, the ladies on here have been a huge source of comfort and useful information!
Old 05-25-2011, 09:42 PM

Mommy_of_Six is on a distinguished road
Thanks for sharing this awesome helpful info!

One thing that confused me a bit was this:

Can you explain what this is? LOL! Thanks. :-)
Old 05-26-2011, 12:04 AM

D_Rae is an unknown quantity at this point
Ah! This is an amazing post! I am still really new at this and only one of my friends has implants so this is such an eye opener. Thank you so much for this post. This will definitely help me prepare for what is to come.

Beachy Girl likes this.
Old 05-26-2011, 12:37 PM
Revision done, now time to heal.

MZmorena is on a distinguished road
I have never even heard of some of these things, I am so happy I came across this. Thanks so much, now I know what things to get and more questions to ask my PS!

Old 05-26-2011, 08:05 PM
i swear...MY BOOBS R SHRINKING!

Redd is on a distinguished road
what a great post! someone in one of my posts about what I need recommended I read this post and I just saved it on my computer. my surgery is in 11 days and i can NOT believe it. I've been speculating and planning and saving for a year, so I can't believe it's about to be here! everything you said and everyone's responses are such a great help its unbelievable! yayyyyyy for gorgeous big boobies!
Reply Subscribe