Go Back   Just Breast Implants Forum General Breast Reconstruction

|
Forgot Username/Password?
Forum Home Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General Breast Reconstruction If you're having breast reconstruction, please post your questions and experiences in this forum.

Like Tree85Likes

wanting new boobs saved my life

Reply Subscribe
Old 11-17-2013, 09:21 PM

chocaholic is on a distinguished road
Exclamation wanting new boobs saved my life

I have wanted breast augmentation since I was 12. Yep, 12. I started doing research when I turned 18 and decided to wait until I was done having kids before I got "new ones". Well, the day came for my 1st consultation in Feb. I scheduled my ba for Nov 13th. My ps was very thorough and wanted a mammogram as part of the pre-op work-up. I didn't think anything of it so it was literally the last thing on my list to do before my pre-op appt. I got the mammogram on Oct 21st. That let to a phone call a few days later asking me to come in for another mammogram. I had it the next day, the 29th, the same day as my pre-op appt. The second mammogram was done and before I left the doctors office they asked to do an ultrasound. That lead to the conclusion the doc wanted a biopsy. I went to my pre-op appt directly after that. The biopsy was done on Monday Nov 4th. the doc took 5, 1cm chunks via vacuum needle. The next day I missed a phone call from my ps but didn't think anything of it. She called me on Wed morning as I was driving to work. She asked me to pull over so I could take notes and write some names and numbers down of the doc she wanted me to see. She told me I have DCIS (ductal carcinmona in situ). That was Wed Nov 6th which happened to be my husband's birthday. I went to work after getting off the phone with her and told my boss what I found out and that I will be taking a leave of absence instead of my scheduled "vacation" to recover from surgery that was scheduled just 7 days later. From that point on everything has been moving pretty fast. I have seen 2 different surgeons, a medical oncologist, had an MRI, and worked on a treatment plan. I am still waiting on the genetics test results. The cancer that I have is estrogen and progesterone positive meaning my body feeds the cancer cells and tells them to make more. That means I will be on hormone therapy for a while too. I'm not sure how long though yet. That will be determined after surgery. My surgery was to be a single mastectomy but I am opting for a double, or bi-lateral, mastectomy. Being only 32 and with two young children (ages 5 and 7) I do not want to go through this again nor do I want the look of uneven breast. I go see my ps tomorrow for the 1st time since learning about the cancer and learning about reconstructive surgery. On Tues (or Mon afternoon) I will be scheduling my new surgery date to remove both breasts and hopefully do reconstructive surgery at the same time. I hope they can save my nipple on the left side where the cancer is but that is yet to be determined. They will only know that when we are in surgery. I have been handling it pretty well until today. Today is my first day of crying about it. Now that I have learned about what will happen and talked to others who have gone through it and seem before and after pics I don't want to go through this. I want to stomp my feet and cry and say no like a little girl but I have to do as I'm told and deal with all the emotional stuff when it's all over. Anyway, just wanted to share my story. and to tell everyone, no matter your age...PLEASE get a mammogram! Thanks for reading. -Jessica
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to chocaholic For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2013, 09:27 PM
Avatar is boobie idol London Andrews

Losenord is on a distinguished road
How awful for you & your family. I'm so glad they caught it though. I will be sending positive thoughts your way that your treatment goes well. Take care of yourself.

crmoro likes this.
Old 11-17-2013, 09:29 PM

Snushi is on a distinguished road
Wow.

*BIG HUGS* First of all. I am at a loss for words... Thank Goodness you found out. But, realize this is not the end of the world, either! Not to be.. pithy... or cavalier, but even Angelina Jolie had this surgery and she had it electively for her children.

You will be FINE- actually, you will be better than fine, because now you know you will be here for a LONG TIME- and healthy for your children. You can have reconstructions when the time is right, too!!!

I'm so sorry you are going through this. But you really have found the perfect group of gals to lean on in times of trouble.

God Bless You. and more *BIG HUGS*!!!
Old 11-17-2013, 09:37 PM
Hey Ya'll!!! *Excited*

alwaysjewels is on a distinguished road
I am praying for you and your family. My heart aches for what you are going thru, but am grateful you were able to find it in time.May your fight be short and free of pain and a speedy recovery to wholeness!!xhugsx

Sadiegirl2013 likes this.
Old 11-17-2013, 09:48 PM

Ersbaby123 is on a distinguished road
Hug for u and ur family , my mom has cancer they removed her breast 1year ago she was on stage 3 shes ok the cancer has not been back THANK GOD!!!! Shes doesnt want to reconstruct her breast its ok tho if shes happy ,know shes a cancer survivor so hang in there put your head up hight u could fight it just like my mom !!

Sadiegirl2013 likes this.
Old 11-17-2013, 09:57 PM

Doubledala is on a distinguished road
Omg. I'm so sorry but so glad you found out! Keep your chin up! We are all here for you. Come here to cry,vent or cheer! Thank you for sharing your story, it may save someone else. Again , prayers and hugs!

juicy01 likes this.
Old 11-17-2013, 10:18 PM

Iheartb00bies is on a distinguished road
Thank you for sharing your story. You are a very strong woman, and I am so glad everything was caught before it was too late.

Swtblonde likes this.
Old 11-17-2013, 10:45 PM

Krissycorn is on a distinguished road
Thank you for sharing your story. It may help a lot of women out there decide to get a mammogram before their BA. It is so very important and not all PS's require it.

My sister opted for a radical double mastectomy with a hysterectomy and she is now 6 years cancer free.

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Barbietatas likes this.
Old 11-17-2013, 10:55 PM

Flygirl1 is on a distinguished road
I am so so sorry to hear this is happening to you I'm glad they picked it up so you have the best chance of remission. Sending love your way xoxox
Old 11-18-2013, 12:00 AM

Twinklebaybeeh is on a distinguished road
I'm so sorry hun. Praying for a quick and safe recovery. Take cares and stay strong you will get through this. If you need any support we are here for you xoxoxo
Old 11-18-2013, 12:11 AM

kiwi_girl is on a distinguished road
Praying for you and your family. So sorry to hear what you are going through. Thinking of you xxxx
Old 11-18-2013, 12:37 AM

Melngeun is on a distinguished road
Sending hugs, thoughts, and prayers to you all the way from Alaska! I hope the best for you and your family.
Old 11-18-2013, 03:27 AM

Marie0724 is on a distinguished road
Big hugs! That's a lot to chew off and swallow in such a small amount of time, and so unexpected. I think you are making the right choice to be preventative and do the double. Praying everything turns out well and you still get the boobies you want! and you are a very strong woman, cause I would of cried as soon as I found out.
Old 11-18-2013, 03:57 AM

Millenium is on a distinguished road
Thank you for being brave enough to tell you story.
Know that we are all here should you ever want to rant, cry or scream in text on here. We are all a very supportive bunch. Dont be alone, write it all down, get it out. We will all listen and help where we can.

I hope the doctors can offer you some comfort in knowing how to proceed and what to expect.

Please keep us updated,

Big Hugs,
M x

mistydays likes this.
Old 11-18-2013, 05:04 AM
Bloom where you are planted !

redrose1 is on a distinguished road
Thank you for sharing ! When I went for my BA at 32 they found a lump...thankfully it was benign. I no longer have mamo grams but the thermal imaging once a year.
Old 11-18-2013, 05:36 AM

newboobiegirl12 is on a distinguished road
please keep us posted! i am so sorry for what your going threw, but so thankful you found out!
Old 11-18-2013, 05:38 AM
5'1 103 lbs lollipop lift/400HP silicone unders

NBDgymrat has room for improvement
Thank you for having the courage to share your story here! Thankfully you found the cancer and are able to treat.

Question for you. Do you have a family history? I'm assuming yes because otherwise a PS wouldn't recommend a mammo at an early age. Baseline is done at 40.

Have you received the BrcA test? Are you waiting to see if you are BrCA positive? A friend of mine has sold this test for the past 7 years.

I've seen some beautiful work by reconstructive surgeons for a full mastectomy. You will be amazed at what they can do. They can graft nipples to look identical to your real nipple!! They can make your breasts look 100% beautiful and no one would ever know. I've even seen breasts created from stomach fat transfer. Simply amazing. This is where a surgeons true talent comes into play.

Anyway, I wish you a safe and speedy recovery. Thank god for genetic testing! Keep us posted.

mistydays likes this.
Old 11-18-2013, 05:49 AM
Enjoy life for the fullest. It has an expiration date.

Slinky has much to be proud of Slinky has much to be proud of Slinky has much to be proud of Slinky has much to be proud of Slinky has much to be proud of Slinky has much to be proud of Slinky has much to be proud of Slinky has much to be proud of Slinky has much to be proud of
That is a lot to deal with!! You sound like you are handling it all incredibly well, with a lot of strength and determination to do what you need to do. So glad you found it in time! Your children wll have their mommy with them as they grow up.
Best of luck.

Slinky
Old 11-18-2013, 06:02 AM

FitnessJunkie is on a distinguished road
Prayers for you and your family during this difficult time! My PS also requires a mammogram before a BA, no matter your age. My sister-in-law had a double mastectomy last year, with breast reconstruction and the nipple tattooing, and although it's not the road she would of chosen, she's pleased with what modern medicine can do. You're blindsided with this, I know, but you'll pull through and be a stronger person for your children because of this. We're here for you; wishing you NOTHING but the best!!

mistydays likes this.
Old 11-18-2013, 06:46 AM

juicy01 is on a distinguished road
Wow I can't imagine what you're going through, so tuff. You can beat this and come out of it healthy, strong and with a beautiful new set of tata's to boot. Just know that you can always come to us for support during this difficult time

mistydays likes this.
Reply Subscribe