Go Back   Just Breast Implants Forum General Breast Reconstruction

|
Forgot Username/Password?
Forum Home Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General Breast Reconstruction If you're having breast reconstruction, please post your questions and experiences in this forum.

Like Tree8Likes
  • 2 Post By vjobe0413
  • 5 Post By TexasHulaGirl
  • 1 Post By vjobe0413

Implants to correct a deformity caused by trauma

Old 04-01-2014, 12:56 PM

vjobe0413 is on a distinguished road
Implants to correct a deformity caused by trauma

Hi!
I'm new here, and have a consult with my ps this month. My case is a little different. I was in a car accident 10 years ago that split my right breast in half internally. I have a large band of scar tissue that starts around 4 o'clock and goes through to about the 10 o'clock position, all the way through the breast and very close to the surface. There is a semicircular permanent indention, kinda looks like someone is holding a drinking glass into my breast, if that makes any sense. Also, the nipple is misshapen and scrunched in because of the scar and instead of the breast being a perfect semicircle, it was pulled away from the chest wall and now I have a small projection extending from the bottom of it.I have had many consults over the last 10 years, and have heard everything from "We can't fix that" to "Sure, I've seen that before." (My current ps said that last one.) Lucky for me, the most confident of these consults involved implants. I've had 2 surgeries before, involving cutting the scar band and then a fat graft, and even though they helped, they did not restore me to what I was before.Honestly, I don't think I will ever be the same as what I was before. I've lived with this for so long, I don't even remember what I used to look like. I took pictures of my breasts on my phone earlier and kept trying to get a better picture in my viewfinder, and then realized that I couldn't because I just look that bad.My husband and I have been married for 13 years, and he is and always has been extremely supportive, and we are now in a financial place where we can afford my surgery. Have any of you ever had a deformity that was corrected with implants? Sorry so long, other than my husband, I don't feel comfortable talking to anyone about this.
Old 04-01-2014, 06:27 PM

TexasHulaGirl is just really nice TexasHulaGirl is just really nice TexasHulaGirl is just really nice TexasHulaGirl is just really nice
Smile

I don't have the same problem that you're going through, but I do have a congenital birth defect that gave me a really deformed ribcage. And I did have the same problem w/ most PS's telling me that they couldn't fix or disguise my problem, that a BA would only make everything more pronounced. Of course that's not what I wanted. But my PS that I did choose told me basically the same thing yours told you. He took one look at me and said 'I can fix that'. I'm already 7 mths po and I love my results. My chest looks 100% better than it did before my BA.

It sounds like your PS is really confident that he can give you the results that you want. Implants seem to work really well in reconstructive surgery so hopefully you'll love the outcome : )
Old 04-03-2014, 08:40 AM

vjobe0413 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by TexasHulaGirl View Post
I don't have the same problem that you're going through, but I do have a congenital birth defect that gave me a really deformed ribcage. And I did have the same problem w/ most PS's telling me that they couldn't fix or disguise my problem, that a BA would only make everything more pronounced. Of course that's not what I wanted. But my PS that I did choose told me basically the same thing yours told you. He took one look at me and said 'I can fix that'. I'm already 7 mths po and I love my results. My chest looks 100% better than it did before my BA.

It sounds like your PS is really confident that he can give you the results that you want. Implants seem to work really well in reconstructive surgery so hopefully you'll love the outcome : )
Thank you! I checked out the disorder that you suffer from, and I was amazed. You are such a kind, strong person for going through that and sharing your story with me. Some of the hardest parts of this journey is feeling alone in my situation. I've searched the internet for 10 years to find a case similiar to mine and have never found one. I talk about breast implants to reconstruct my breasts to friends and they look at me like I'm wrong. I'm already a D, (or so I think, there is such a difference between the breasts it's hard to tell),and people relate implants to going bigger, not reconstruction. It's so frustrating because although the insurance that I had after the accident covered the 2 procedures, now no insurance will. They all say that it's pre-exisiting, cosmetic, or that it should have been the other insurance's responsibility to cover it, when that insurance wouldn't give me implants. I'm getting a policy through my employer this month, so maybe it will cover it now that they have to cover all pre-exisiting medical conditions, but I still doubt it.

TexasHulaGirl likes this.
Old 04-03-2014, 03:21 PM

TexasHulaGirl is just really nice TexasHulaGirl is just really nice TexasHulaGirl is just really nice TexasHulaGirl is just really nice
Cool

Totally understand your frustration w/ the insurance. My insurance company would only cover surgery to reset my sternum...which would have been extremely painful and is not a guaranteed fix.