Go Back   Just Breast Implants Forum General Breast Reconstruction

|
Forgot Username/Password?
Forum Home Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General Breast Reconstruction If you're having breast reconstruction, please post your questions and experiences in this forum.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Zouavechic

Fainting and Blood Tests

Old 05-26-2014, 12:29 PM

BoobieBombshell is on a distinguished road
Fainting and Blood Tests

Hey Ladies!
Im scheduled for my BA this Thursday and I had my blood test today. Long story short I fainted just like every other blood test ive ever taken. Also my BP is on average quite low 80/50.
If my recovery is anything like a blood test then I am not looking forward to it.
Which is easier? A blood test or BA (minus the full recovery). Just the whole getting IV in and waking up process.
Any fainting? Ive never had surgery before so this is a big one. Thanks!!
Old 05-26-2014, 12:34 PM

BoobieBombshell is on a distinguished road
Sorry just realized I posted this is the wrong thread!!
Old 05-26-2014, 12:34 PM

Zouavechic will become famous soon enough Zouavechic will become famous soon enough
Hmm. I fainted at my first gyno exam and numerous blood tests. I've never fainted at an IV, maybe because my veins are tiny and it hurts like hell getting prodded until one is found. Last time I had an IV the ER doctor had to do it because the nurse couldn't.

BA surgery was a cinch for me. I didn't even take a painkiller and it was on Thurs with me back to work on Mon.

BoobieBombshell likes this.
Old 09-23-2014, 06:35 PM

rfuller is on a distinguished road
I faint at every damn blood test, and blood donation. I work in the emergency room for God's sake, I just don't get it . It's not like I'm anxious or anything.
I didn't faint after my ba.
Old 01-01-2015, 08:32 AM

missy1984 is on a distinguished road
I had never fainted before and when I had my first blood test for my op I fainted!! I was so surprised as it had never happened before. I also fainted when the op was finished and I had to get dressed and I also nearly fainted from my first peek! I couldn't believe it! Bodies ban be strange!
Old 01-16-2015, 09:15 AM

Loveabull will become famous soon enough Loveabull will become famous soon enough
I feel faint from getting my blood drawn. I think it is partly because of my hypoglycemia. Having my blood drawn while I lay down helps me a lot.
Old 04-18-2015, 03:18 PM

spabarbie is on a distinguished road
Wow, interesting hear so many of us have this weird fainting thing!

I'm not squeamish when it comes to blood but I fainted when I had to do a blood test for my first BA and although I've been able to have another since without fainting it's always a worry / close call.

once my bf had surgery and I had to pick him up afterwards. They let me in the ward, he was just coming around, sitting up etc, they pulled the IV out of his arm, and boom, I'm flat on the floor. They had to get him out of the bed and lay me on it lol.

I just went for vaccinations and even when they did that I got a bit wobbly.

So strange, I'm not scared of needles but it's something about either drawing blood or the ambiance of being a clinic / hospital that makes my blood drain.
Old 04-18-2015, 03:35 PM

SapphireOrchid is on a distinguished road
I faint at the sight of my own blood but not when its for blood draws. However, other people's blood and guts, no prob.

OP, you have a crazy low BP!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-23-2015, 07:16 AM

beeshive415 will become famous soon enough beeshive415 will become famous soon enough
I always faint, needles, blood, etc. I was up front about this with everyone who worked with me. At my pre-op, she had me lay down when she drew blood, stay down for a few minutes, and then slowly get up and sit with my back flat against the wall for a few minutes. I got really lightheaded, but didn't faint.

When they put in the IV, my nurse had another nurse come to help her and she inserted it in the crease of my arm by my elbow. They also had me laying all the way back and one monitored my heart rate while the other put in the IV. I had zero problems with that whole process.

Good luck! Fainting is so scary and the thought of it gave me anxiety at my pre-op and before surgery. I was also extremely careful to get up slowly and walk around slowly the first couple days after surgery.
Old 04-23-2015, 07:38 AM

CFboobies will become famous soon enough CFboobies will become famous soon enough
i feel your pain!

I faint (or almost) alllll the time! every blood draw/test/IV insertion.
I get sooooo pale (and I'm already very fair skinned) they nurses always freak out lol.

I remember once in college at the student health I was sick and they wanted to test my blood and I told them, I'm going to pass out, I have bad veins, please get your best phlebotomist (sp?) and they kept insisting i was over reacting and would be fine. They had me sit in one of those blood drawing chairs and lo and behold I passed out. They had to code blue me and finally got me stabilized.

Theres only about 2 good veins in my arm that a nurse can get: one in my right arm below the crook of my elbow towards the medial part (closest to my body) and that was is realllly deep down. and the other is on my right hand by my thumb.

I can't tell you how many times nurses have blown veins, bruised my entire arm, rolled veins..etc. As soon as I meet a new nurse I tell them "you need to use an 18 gauge butterfly needle". they do and we have no problems. But I'll always get that stubborn nurse who thinks they know everything and don't listen and BAM, i'm out.

I dont have anemia (been tested), hypoglycemia, diabetes or anything else that would account for this...OH -- and I have 9 tattoos

needless to say I AM NOT looking forward to pre-op tomorrow with the blood draw
Old 04-23-2015, 08:47 AM
Feeling Down, Saddle Up

HorsRdr is on a distinguished road
In my 20's I fainted when I got my tonsils out at the IV time than again when I gave blood the first time... Otherwise I got pretty good at talking myself out of it. LOL. No Fainting for BA. It is interesting how many Ladies have fainted.
Old 04-24-2015, 06:35 AM

AshlieRose will become famous soon enough
I'm odd. The only part that made me almost faint was the tape removal and reapplication after surgery on my scars. It was a huge ordeal every time I went in because the doc could only remove small bits at a time and then I'd have to breathe deeply and close my eyes to psych myself for more. Looking back on it, it's funny to picture. Don't know why I felt like that? lol
Old 04-29-2015, 04:27 AM

essexbunny is on a distinguished road
I find blood tests and visible needles in general much worse..

I always ask them not to put me on a drip for any longer than is absolutely necessarily (and for a couple of ops I've not needed to be on one at all once I'm awake) because I'm so squeemish about needles..

Before the needle goes in I always use EMLA cream and take a couple of Valium if the doctor offers.. can still feel a little bit but takes the edge off..