Go Back   Just Breast Implants Forum General Breast Reconstruction

|
Forgot Username/Password?
Forum Home Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General Breast Reconstruction If you're having breast reconstruction, please post your questions and experiences in this forum.

Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By Zch
  • 3 Post By Woo
  • 2 Post By Linaki
  • 1 Post By Zch

Need direction/help! Mother is having bilateral masectomy with immediate reconstruct

Old 07-10-2016, 05:39 AM
Zch

Zch is on a distinguished road
Need direction/help! Mother is having bilateral masectomy with immediate reconstruct

Hi everyone. I am a long time lurker and occasional poster here for myself. My mother (in law actually) is having a bilateral mastectomy with immediate fat transfer reconstruction. This accounts to a tummy tuck. She is a very fit early sixties woman with zero medical issues aside from recurrent breast ca.

We are on a time table bc her type is an aggressive type of ca. However, I am so scared they are doing too much at once and her doc does not have the best (online) reviews. To boot, I am a nurse and I hate the hospital they go to. There is not a lot I can do about this, bc her surgical oncologist does surgery there and we do love him.

Essentially the surgical oncologist goes in and does his thing, then the PS comes in and puts it back together with fat from the abdomen.

Is there a sub-forum here, a thread, or does anyone know if there is any other forum out there with knowledgeable women? I want her to have a good result but more importantly I want her to live! No infection, no wound separation, no unnecessary debility and etc.

All thoughts are welcome!

LovelyGoddess likes this.

Last edited by Zch; 07-10-2016 at 05:41 AM. Reason: Added a question mark
Old 07-10-2016, 01:57 PM
Woo

Woo is on a distinguished road
Have you tried breast community.breastcancer.org discussion boards? Thats one of the ones I read through quite a bit before I went in for an ultrasound. Not sure where you are based but there are lots more out there so hopefully you will be able to find some answers.

Could you possibly have a chat to her oncologist and ask about using a different surgeon? Or talk openly with your MIL and tell her your feelings? You obviously have her best interests at heart hopefully she will appreciate you trying to help.

I hope the surgery goes well and it gives you all many many more years with her

BooBitties, Linaki and Zch like this.
Old 07-10-2016, 06:25 PM

Linaki is a splendid one to behold Linaki is a splendid one to behold Linaki is a splendid one to behold Linaki is a splendid one to behold Linaki is a splendid one to behold Linaki is a splendid one to behold Linaki is a splendid one to behold Linaki is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Woo View Post
Have you tried breast community.breastcancer.org discussion boards? Thats one of the ones I read through quite a bit before I went in for an ultrasound. Not sure where you are based but there are lots more out there so hopefully you will be able to find some answers.

Could you possibly have a chat to her oncologist and ask about using a different surgeon? Or talk openly with your MIL and tell her your feelings? You obviously have her best interests at heart hopefully she will appreciate you trying to help.

I hope the surgery goes well and it gives you all many many more years with her
I agree. I think the question is really better answered by other BC patients. I work in breast oncology and our oncologists work with 6 different plastic surgeons and our docs are fine with any of them. If you want another opinion I would definitely get one. There are pros and cons to all of the reconstruction options.

BooBitties and Zch like this.
Old 07-12-2016, 04:55 PM
Zch

Zch is on a distinguished road
Thank you ladies! I typed that when I was in a very fearful place for her.

I found the breast cancer forums, yesterday, and I also found her over there. I just hit the X at that point. I feel like it is evesdropping, ya know...her space.

I did speak with her about the PS and the hospital and she is just ready to get it over with. She trusts her breast oncologist and wants to push through. I don't think she sees my worry as relevent. Maybe it isn't? Maybe (hopefully) I am borrowing trouble.

I have spoken to two collegues in the area and they think this will be okay.

So...I would still prefer a second opinion- because I am just that person that likes second opinions but we are waiting on a surgery date at this point.

Thank you all again!

Linaki likes this.
Old 07-12-2016, 05:11 PM
I type what I'd say to you over highly caffeinated coffee

BooBitties is a glorious beacon of light BooBitties is a glorious beacon of light BooBitties is a glorious beacon of light BooBitties is a glorious beacon of light BooBitties is a glorious beacon of light BooBitties is a glorious beacon of light
Everyone should get a second opinion, but they don't always follow sound advice. I'd probably feel the same way about being in "her space" and would have closed the window as well - I hope I would have, at least.

She's lucky to have someone like you that cares as much as you do. I cannot say I'd do the same for my MIL, but we have a very different relationship. Just be there for her no matter what dr she uses.