Just Breast Implants Forum

Just Breast Implants Forum (https://www.justbreastimplants.com/forum/)
-   General Breast Reconstruction (https://www.justbreastimplants.com/forum/general-breast-reconstruction/)
-   -   Medical Marijuana and Anesthesia? (https://www.justbreastimplants.com/forum/general-breast-reconstruction/300516-medical-marijuana-anesthesia/)

curiousboob 01-03-2017 12:09 AM

Medical Marijuana and Anesthesia?

Hello,

I'm new to this site! I was feeling very nervous about my upcoming tuberous breast reconstruction, so I decided to make an account and see if any of you had insight/advice.

I have my medical card and used to smoke everyday to get to sleep or when I felt that crippling anxiety. I stopped smoking 5 weeks ago and switched to edibles in preparation for my surgery. Now that the date is next week, I'm a wreck! I'm so scared of anesthesia. My doctor said edibles are okay, but will it interact with the anesthesia in a scary way? I can't find anything online. I plan on stopping a couple of days before the date (the 12th), but is that enough time?

Sorry for the rambling, I'm just nervous and want to be thorough.

Thanks!

GypsyNymph 01-03-2017 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by curiousboob (Post 2897280)
Hello,

I'm new to this site! I was feeling very nervous about my upcoming tuberous breast reconstruction, so I decided to make an account and see if any of you had insight/advice.

I have my medical card and used to smoke everyday to get to sleep or when I felt that crippling anxiety. I stopped smoking 5 weeks ago and switched to edibles in preparation for my surgery. Now that the date is next week, I'm a wreck! I'm so scared of anesthesia. My doctor said edibles are okay, but will it interact with the anesthesia in a scary way? I can't find anything online. I plan on stopping a couple of days before the date (the 12th), but is that enough time?

Sorry for the rambling, I'm just nervous and want to be thorough.

Thanks!

I live in Colorado where medical MJ is legal. Post opp I used it for pain and muscle relaxant. It is too much of a risk to use anything that may interfere with general anesthesia. 4 weeks min before surgery is best in my opinion, 1 week at the very minimum. I did have a very hard time detoxing from 6 consecutive weeks for medical MJ and edibles however. CHS (Cannabinoid Hyperemesis Syndrome) is no joke. However, I am deathly allergic to synthetic opiates (mostly all available pharmaceutical pain killers are classified as synthetic opiates), Natural opiates (morphine) I can take just fine, but were not available in pill form according to my PS. So MJ was my only option for pain relief. After using it 6 weeks straight I developed CHS and threw up my ever living soul (with new boobies, super painful), for about 2 weeks after. In the end it was the lesser of two evils to handle the pain post opp.

Try not to be anxious. Surgery will all be a distant dream and worth it when you have your glorious boobies :)

Sarah808 06-15-2017 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by GypsyNymph (Post 2897307)

Try not to be anxious. Surgery will all be a distant dream and worth it when you have your glorious boobies :)

Seriously the best advice I could ever give someone anxious before surgery, especially like I was. Super accurate. The actual surgery is like a dream I don't even remember and now it's just straight ahead to recovery!

MelanieTurner86 11-27-2020 04:51 PM

Ohh, I know what you mean. I was in a very similar situation just recently. About a month ago, I had to have surgery, and I couldn't calm down, and the closer I got to the unfortunate day, the more nervous I became because of course, it's a stressful situation for anyone, both mentally and physically. This went on until a friend bought me some cannabis from weedsmart online dispensary canada the day before the surgery. That evening after I smoked everything was just right, all the stress was gone. In the morning, on the day of the surgery, I went into it calmly. All was performed under anesthesia, so I didn't feel anything. It may not be a common story for everyone, but it was my experience.

ItNeverHappened 12-15-2020 06:54 PM

It most likely will not react with general anesthesia (just don't smoke it). Remember, if you consume it orally in either pill/oil/edible form, it will be in your system for several hours. If you plan on having THC in your system during your surgery, I would probably just let the surgeon or anesthesiologist know. It probably won't change anything, but it's better to be on the safe side. When I got my surgery my temperature was slightly elevated from very severe sinusitis and the hot weather and even then they alerted the anesthesiologist and it was his decision whether we continued with the surgery. It ended up being fine and I had my surgery, but it's always better to be on the safe side with surgery, especially if it's your first time under general anesthesia.