Go Back   Just Breast Implants Forum Other Plastic Surgery Procedures & Cosmetic Dentistry > Laser Hair Removal , Tattoo Removal, Cellulite, Spider Veins, Stretch Marks, and Scar Revision
 
|
Forgot Username/Password?
Forum Home Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Laser Hair Removal , Tattoo Removal, Cellulite, Spider Veins, Stretch Marks, and Scar Revision Discuss laser hair removal, tattoo removal, cellulite treatments, spider veins, stretch marks, and scar revisions here.


Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By 2011
  • 1 Post By norge77
  • 1 Post By Fit4Life

laser hair removal - what to look for?

Old 12-26-2011, 03:53 PM
  #1  
Thread Starter
 
2011's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 174
2011 is on a distinguished road
laser hair removal - what to look for?

I'm about to start looking into this to see who does it in my area and what their prices are, etc. What should I be asking about? Do some have better equipment/success rates than others? How often can I expect to have to have it done (I'm thinking about starting with legs and/or bikini)? Are you supposed to shave/not shave beforehand? I'm totally new to this, so any and all advice is appreciated!

*Meg* and Liz1626 like this.
2011 is offline  
Old 12-28-2011, 12:35 PM
  #2  
 
PinkofHearts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Posts: 496
PinkofHearts will become famous soon enough
I've only done 1 treatment so far, I'm doing the Brazilian and it is totally worth it, I highly recommend laser hair removal. You have to shave before the treatment, or they generally charge a fee to shave you. I can't remember the name of the laser the place uses, but I looked it up on the FDA website, our drug regulator, and it is approved for cosmetic use.
PinkofHearts is offline  
Old 12-28-2011, 03:22 PM
  #3  
24 months
 
hellotitty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Posts: 463
hellotitty is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 2011 View Post
I'm about to start looking into this to see who does it in my area and what their prices are, etc. What should I be asking about? Do some have better equipment/success rates than others? How often can I expect to have to have it done (I'm thinking about starting with legs and/or bikini)? Are you supposed to shave/not shave beforehand? I'm totally new to this, so any and all advice is appreciated!
You should totally do your research! My boyfriend's sister owns her own laser place so I just did it there but I found out that there is a difference in machines. Hers is IPL Laser the Naturalight, but she told me there is newer technology out there where it's actually painless (she's considering switching). I did my brazilian and armpits with the IPL Laser and boy did I feel them! Most if not all of them always advertise them as "painless" but if I were to do laser again I'd do my research and make sure they actually are painless. That's just me! There's ways around it like EMLA (numbing cream only used on small areas not legs) or taking two tylenols/advils before you go.
And read reviews about places, make sure the laser technician is really really good because to be honest, my boyfriend's sister misses spots on my brazilian or zaps a spot that sooo does not have hair so I just gave up and told her not to do anything in the inner labia (UGH! LOL) I have to shave before IPL Laser and then put on numbing cream so I don't feel it (it is honestly SO worth the $50 for the over the counter cream)

Hope that helps
hellotitty is offline  
Reply
 
VISIT WEBSITE
DOCTOR PROFILE
Old 12-28-2011, 03:53 PM
  #4  
Love, Hope, & bOObies!! <3
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 642
inHope is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by psiloveyou View Post
You should totally do your research! My boyfriend's sister owns her own laser place so I just did it there but I found out that there is a difference in machines. Hers is IPL Laser the Naturalight, but she told me there is newer technology out there where it's actually painless (she's considering switching). I did my brazilian and armpits with the IPL Laser and boy did I feel them! Most if not all of them always advertise them as "painless" but if I were to do laser again I'd do my research and make sure they actually are painless. That's just me! There's ways around it like EMLA (numbing cream only used on small areas not legs) or taking two tylenols/advils before you go.
And read reviews about places, make sure the laser technician is really really good because to be honest, my boyfriend's sister misses spots on my brazilian or zaps a spot that sooo does not have hair so I just gave up and told her not to do anything in the inner labia (UGH! LOL) I have to shave before IPL Laser and then put on numbing cream so I don't feel it (it is honestly SO worth the $50 for the over the counter cream)

Hope that helps
YIKES! I go for my consult/first session on Friday....this totally just freaked me out!!! LOL! Now I am just a slightly terrified. They use an IPL Laser...eek!
inHope is offline  
Old 12-28-2011, 05:27 PM
  #5  
24 months
 
hellotitty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Posts: 463
hellotitty is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Lawson0103 View Post
YIKES! I go for my consult/first session on Friday....this totally just freaked me out!!! LOL! Now I am just a slightly terrified. They use an IPL Laser...eek!
LOL I'm so sorry. I'm not gonna lie, the first few times are like ... you should ask the laser technican before you do it but definitely invest in the EMLA cream and pop one or two tylenols/advils before you go... Trust me, you will not regret it one bit! I thought I was a soldier and it was going to be "painless" my first time doing brazilian IPL laser so I didn't even think about any pain meds/creams yet... Boy was I wrong.... lol! I have a pretty high pain tolerance but that was just like yowza! Bf's sis was like you are a soldier, I'm surprised you haven't kicked me in the face by now hahaha
hellotitty is offline  
Reply
 
VISIT WEBSITE
DOCTOR PROFILE
Old 12-28-2011, 05:43 PM
  #6  
Love, Hope, & bOObies!! <3
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 642
inHope is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by psiloveyou View Post
LOL I'm so sorry. I'm not gonna lie, the first few times are like ... you should ask the laser technican before you do it but definitely invest in the EMLA cream and pop one or two tylenols/advils before you go... Trust me, you will not regret it one bit! I thought I was a soldier and it was going to be "painless" my first time doing brazilian IPL laser so I didn't even think about any pain meds/creams yet... Boy was I wrong.... lol! I have a pretty high pain tolerance but that was just like yowza! Bf's sis was like you are a soldier, I'm surprised you haven't kicked me in the face by now hahaha
BAHAHA! That's great! I am getting my upper lip, chin, and another small area done. I bought a Groupon deal so I was a little weary at first but started to become a little more comfortable with the idea until I read this! LOL! I appreciate you being honest though! Their website says it feels like a popping of rubber bands...can't imagine that feeling good especially 'down there'.
inHope is offline  
Old 12-29-2011, 05:32 PM
  #7  
Thread Starter
 
2011's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 174
2011 is on a distinguished road
Ha - I haven't shaved my legs in days! Glad to know I can go ahead and do that now! Thanks for the info. Will start researching. Seems expensive!?!
2011 is offline  
Old 01-27-2012, 11:51 AM
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1
Nemorem is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 2011 View Post
Ha - I haven't shaved my legs in days! Glad to know I can go ahead and do that now! Thanks for the info. Will start researching. Seems expensive!?!
This site has some good information. It's a start anyway.

http://www.does-laser-hair-removal-hurt.com

Good luck!
Nemorem is offline  
Old 02-18-2012, 10:34 PM
  #9  
 
norge77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Oregon
Posts: 61
norge77 is on a distinguished road
It seems like there are a few different types of lasers and how they work. The one i went to used one that blew air at the same time it zapped me. It was supposed to help and since i didnt really think it hurt that bad it must have helped... Im kinda of wimpy too!!
I had a Brazilian done and works really well. The only bummer is that i have a tattoo right above my vagina so they cant do the laser treatment over that... so unfortunately i have to shave still over the tattoo but down below its getting all clean!!!

MileHigh13 likes this.
norge77 is offline  
Old 02-18-2012, 11:08 PM
  #10  
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: (Poway)San Diego California
Posts: 307
SizzleChest is on a distinguished road
I first had laser hair removal done above my lip 10 years ago. It was done by a nurse at a plastic surgeons office. It really worked! It was expensive back then and i think i paid $1,000 for 6 treatments.

Fast forward to 1 year ago..I was interested In a Brazilian and underarms. Groupon had a laser trtmt offer for 3 times to 2 areas for $150. I bought 2 groupons bc they say you need 6 treatments to get real results. So ive had my 6 treatments and amazing results. Definitely a huge reduction in amount of hair-Im addicted! To the more sensitive areas, the pain is very much like getting thwapped with a rubber band but i handle it without any meds or numbing creams. The other parts are bearable and not so painful. Sometimes ill respond with a twitch LOL. Once the laser zaps me, it then shoots a quick blast of cold.

So I started getting the hair on my face done too and have had awesome results. I have black hair and olive skin that's tans easily. Yes you do shave every area before they treat you. I've paid for an extra package at the rate of $240 for 3x to 2 areas. I have some thick dark hairs and want to ensure I'm close to hairless as possible.

Last edited by SizzleChest; 02-18-2012 at 11:10 PM. Reason: Ps the laser office i go to uses Lumines Lightsheer XC Laser Diode System
SizzleChest is offline  
Old 02-20-2012, 11:02 PM
  #11  
Now patiently waiting for the D+F fairy!!!
 
Carmen32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Northville, Michigan
Posts: 78
Carmen32 is on a distinguished road
Great questions!! You asked every question I had! Looks like I have my research ahead of me. I've always gotten such bad razor burn. My skin is sooo sensative. Is it more painful for people with sensative skin?
Carmen32 is offline  
Old 02-21-2012, 02:50 AM
  #12  
 
beach-babe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Queensland, Australia
Posts: 83
beach-babe is on a distinguished road
Well if all you ladies are happy with your laser results I think I'll have to look into Laser Hair removal in Australia. I spend a small fortune on waxing which probably would have covered the laser costs years ago.

I just know nothing about it and the thought of the laser doing my brazilian sounds a touch terrifying.

Any scarring??
beach-babe is offline  
Old 02-22-2012, 01:57 PM
  #13  
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 213
gorgeegabby is on a distinguished road
Totally worth it but expensive and takes several treatments! Pain isn't that bad its tolerable. I was told to shave before treatment.
gorgeegabby is offline  
Old 02-22-2012, 09:49 PM
  #14  
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: (Poway)San Diego California
Posts: 307
SizzleChest is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by beach-babe View Post
Well if all you ladies are happy with your laser results I think I'll have to look into Laser Hair removal in Australia. I spend a small fortune on waxing which probably would have covered the laser costs years ago.

I just know nothing about it and the thought of the laser doing my brazilian sounds a touch terrifying.

Any scarring??
No scarring for me. The dr also said the laser can help lighten some of the darker pigment but I haven't seen that kind of result. Just think- no ingrown hairs from shaving or embarrassing bikini lines. Go for it!
SizzleChest is offline  
Old 03-09-2012, 10:39 PM
  #15  
 
viv123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Atlanta,Georgia
Posts: 220
viv123 is on a distinguished road
I am doing full legs right now,had 2 session and have at least 5 more.
My laser is supposedly really good,the head is bigger and they do it really fast.The laser is called eMax.

So far I have about 50% of my hair gone.I can only imagine after another 5 session.
I want to do a brazillian.My SIL is doing it at the moment and after 3 sessions she is completely hairless,the hair that grows now is really fine baby hairs.
viv123 is offline  
Old 03-27-2012, 04:09 PM
  #16  
Officially a Revis girl, loving my new 800s :)
 
Fit4Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Posts: 168
Fit4Life has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Ladies, I love this site:

http://www.laserhairremovalreview.com/comparison.html

It is very informative regarding lasers.

HotMagenta likes this.
Fit4Life is offline  
Reply
 
VISIT WEBSITE
DOCTOR PROFILE

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off