Go Back   Just Breast Implants Forum Other Plastic Surgery Procedures & Cosmetic Dentistry > Laser Hair Removal , Tattoo Removal, Cellulite, Spider Veins, Stretch Marks, and Scar Revision

|
Forgot Username/Password?
Forum Home Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Laser Hair Removal , Tattoo Removal, Cellulite, Spider Veins, Stretch Marks, and Scar Revision Discuss laser hair removal, tattoo removal, cellulite treatments, spider veins, stretch marks, and scar revisions here.

Like Tree14Likes

Starting full brazillian laser hair removal next week!

Reply Subscribe
Old 02-08-2013, 03:05 PM

Kat. will become famous soon enough
Starting full brazillian laser hair removal next week!

I finally found a Groupon for laser hair removal in my area. I thought I was going to have to go into Vancouver (which is a ferry ride away) so I'm pretty happy. My first session is next Saturday in the afternoon.

I think the place is pretty new though so I can't really find any reviews. I'm hoping it won't be terrible. I paid $249 for 6 large area treatments which seems to be the standard Groupon price in Vancouver at least.

The laser they use is the Lighsheer Diode. Has anyone else used this one? Did you get good results? I'm really pale with dark hair so I think it should work well on me.

Is the pain really as bad as I have heard? I think I have a pretty high pain tolerance and can do a brazillian wax no problem, but I don't like the idea of burning pain. For anyone that has done both, how does it compare to waxing? I'm also trying to decide if I should use the numbing cream. I have a tube of EMLA cream which I use for getting needles, but that stuff is like $60 a tube. Is it worth it or should I not bother? I have a whole bottle of painkillers left over from my surgery which I could take if the pain is bad, but I'm guessing it would be excessive? They make me sleepy too so I will probably just stick to tylenol.

Any other tips? Thanks

Kat.'s plastic surgeon is Don R. Revis, Jr., M.D, F.A.C.S
VISIT WEBSITE
DOCTOR PROFILE
The Following User Says Thank You to Kat. For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2013, 04:09 PM

Leenbean09 is on a distinguished road
Your in luck! I'm a laser hair removal tech that uses a diode laser.
I don't suggest using a numbing cream. Its a waste of money and frankly doesn't work that well. If you take pain killers, make sure u let ur tech know. Pain killers decreases pfe which stand for Perifollicular Edema. They are little pink bumps due to the heat from the laser, it's a good sign that we are using the right settings for you. Dont worry they will go away within an hour or so. Pain killers usually have anti inflammatory to decrease swelling, and that can mess with your results and even burn you and leave a bad scar if you don't let your tech know before hand. If u let your tech know that you took pain killers for your first treatment, she might use the lowest setting for you fitz scale, and there for u will need more then 6 treatments. Which means more money for them lol.
The burning doesn't last it's just a second of pain each time they shoot the laser. If they have a chiller ask them to use it on you.
What they will do is put ultra sound gel on the treated area. It's kept in the fridge so it's extra cold. The most painful part is the butt hole and in between ur holes. What I do for the girls, is I count to 3 every time I press the laser so they r prepared. You can ask ur tech if she can do this to you too.
This treatment is better then waxing just because it usually causes more ingrown hairs to grow and it's more expensive in the long run.

And remember, this is a beauty treatment just like waxing, don't forget to tip... Most women don't because they think its a medical procedure since its done in a doc office most of the time, but if ur at a med spa, then u tip. Usually I get 15-25$ tips each client since I work at a med spa.

The pain is worth it! If u can go survive a BA u can survive this! The pain is immediate and gone. I finished my treatment last year and I love it! Definitely get you armpits done if and when you can, it's a life changer once u start seeing ur results u will get addicted! Good luck and I hope all goes well for you if u got any more questions feel free to ask me.
The Following User Says Thank You to Leenbean09 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2013, 05:03 PM
Healing in Progress

MissPrism is on a distinguished road
Congrats!!!! I just finished my 3rd treatment (Braz and underarms) over a week ago and now I'm seeing those hairs fall out (takes 10 days for me) It's been well worth it.

I regularly waxed and found that to be painless but the laser is painful. It's very fast and goes away almost as quickly as it came. I do the whole 9 yards: put numbing cream, wrap in plastic, take Advil and bring a small ice pack. I believe the ice pack is the most effective but I continue with the others because I don't like pain, esp down there! No pain on the backside and I do not believe my tech goes near any holes and there's not any hair there that I'm aware of.

I've never gotten bumps, it feels like a sunburn for an hour and after that, no pain or discomfort.
The Following User Says Thank You to MissPrism For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2013, 05:09 PM
Healing in Progress

I wasn't aware they expect tips. My center employs RNs and it would feel strange to tip a medical professional. I should have asked the receptionist. I'll make up for it. I feel so bad!

Originally Posted by Leenbean09 View Post
Your in luck! I'm a laser hair removal tech that uses a diode laser. ........... (message clipped)

And remember, this is a beauty treatment just like waxing, don't forget to tip... Most women don't because they think its a medical procedure since its done in a doc office most of the time, but if ur at a med spa, then u tip. Usually I get 15-25$ tips each client since I work at a med spa.........
Old 02-08-2013, 05:43 PM

I don't suggest using a numbing cream. Its a waste of money and frankly doesn't work that well. If you take pain killers, make sure u let ur tech know. Pain killers decreases pfe which stand for Perifollicular Edema. They are little pink bumps due to the heat from the laser, it's a good sign that we are using the right settings for you. Dont worry they will go away within an hour or so. Pain killers usually have anti inflammatory to decrease swelling, and that can mess with your results and even burn you and leave a bad scar if you don't let your tech know before hand. If u let your tech know that you took pain killers for your first treatment, she might use the lowest setting for you fitz scale, and there for u will need more then 6 treatments. Which means more money for them lol.
The burning doesn't last it's just a second of pain each time they shoot the laser. If they have a chiller ask them to use it on you.
What they will do is put ultra sound gel on the treated area. It's kept in the fridge so it's extra cold. The most painful part is the butt hole and in between ur holes. What I do for the girls, is I count to 3 every time I press the laser so they r prepared. You can ask ur tech if she can do this to you too.
This treatment is better then waxing just because it usually causes more ingrown hairs to grow and it's more expensive in the long run.

And remember, this is a beauty treatment just like waxing, don't forget to tip... Most women don't because they think its a medical procedure since its done in a doc office most of the time, but if ur at a med spa, then u tip. Usually I get 15-25$ tips each client since I work at a med spa.

The pain is worth it! If u can go survive a BA u can survive this! The pain is immediate and gone. I finished my treatment last year and I love it! Definitely get you armpits done if and when you can, it's a life changer once u start seeing ur results u will get addicted! Good luck and I hope all goes well for you if u got any more questions feel free to ask me.
Thanks for all the helpful tips . I guess I will skip the numbing cream if it doesn't do much. Too expensive to just waste it. I would rather have good results than a little less pain so would you recommend skipping the tylenol too?

I'm really excited not to have to wax anymore. The ingrown hairs and growing out period are the main reasons I'm doing this. I'm sure it will be worth it in the end!

I completely forgot to ask about the tips. I'm having it done at a med spa so I will tip. I usually tip a % of the overall price, but since I'm using a coupon I'm not sure what's appropriate. Is $15-25 the usual amount? I don't want to be cheap.

Originally Posted by MissPrism View Post
Congrats!!!! I just finished my 3rd treatment (Braz and underarms) over a week ago and now I'm seeing those hairs fall out (takes 10 days for me) It's been well worth it.

I regularly waxed and found that to be painless but the laser is painful. It's very fast and goes away almost as quickly as it came. I do the whole 9 yards: put numbing cream, wrap in plastic, take Advil and bring a small ice pack. I believe the ice pack is the most effective but I continue with the others because I don't like pain, esp down there! No pain on the backside and I do not believe my tech goes near any holes and there's not any hair there that I'm aware of.

I've never gotten bumps, it feels like a sunburn for an hour and after that, no pain or discomfort.
I didn't even think about bringing an ice pack, that's a great idea. The laser they use also has a cooling tip so hopefully that helps.

I had a feeling this would be worse than a brazillian wax. I tried my friend's Tria laser once (at home diode laser) and it's definitely a different feeling. To me it felt like being poked with a hot pin or something like that. My skin felt warm after too. I'm not sure what strength it was, but I assume the professional laser will be a lot more powerful. The at home one didn't really do anything.

VISIT WEBSITE
DOCTOR PROFILE
Old 02-08-2013, 06:07 PM
Healing in Progress

My center uses a cooling tip and it still stings. Bring an ice pack. It cools the area before the laser heats it and it doesn't burn/sting as bad.

Shave the area the night before so your skin has had time to recover, especially if you're not used to shaving. I never shaved that area before (always waxed) so I just let it all go until it was time for my appt. It's an awkward place to shave and when it grows back, it is so uncomfortable!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MissPrism For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2013, 06:17 PM

Sorry, one other question. How will I know if they are using the correct setting? I have very pale skin so I assume I'm at a lower risk for burning than someone with a medium skin tone. Is there some kind of system that is used to determine the correct power setting? Thanks again for your help.

VISIT WEBSITE
DOCTOR PROFILE
Old 02-08-2013, 06:40 PM

When you go in and fill out all the paper work you will fill out a Fitzpatrick scale. U circle the numbers that fits u the best, add it up, and that's how you get your number. That's how we figure out what settings we use for you... The tech will do a test patch and see how ur skin reacts. Usually if the is a lil red of pfe, I will stay at that setting, if not i raise it up a lil more.
Here is the wiki for the fitz scale
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fitzpatrick_scale

You can use Tylenol but again, let ur tech know... Try ur first treatment without using pain killers, even Tylenol or Advil...and if by the second time u go in, u can try it, but still let ur tech know...at least she knows the settings already that she used last on you.

I think the reason why miss prim didn't get pfe is cuz she went all out with the pain and numbing lol. I don't use ice packs because the ultra sound gel is already ice cold lol. But if you do feel like a sunburn down there, it will help right after. Aoe Vera as well.
And like miss prim says, make sure u shave the night before or shave the day of.
The reason why you can't wax is because the laser targets the hair folical, if there isn't any hair then there's nothing for the laser to hit.
RNs usually do the treatments, if your center is a doctors office then you don't tip cuz they get paid well. But for the ones who work in a med spa dont get paid as much. I make most my money on tips and commission.

MissPrism likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Leenbean09 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2013, 09:50 PM
Healing in Progress

Leenbean, you're so helpful! I let my tech know of the Advil and cream. Honestly, because I am a little darker than most due to my ethnicity, I was scared of not feeling pain and then burning. I had huge anxiety during my first treatment due to that fear. I might try it without Advil the next time since I have very little hair left now. I sure wish my place used that ultra sound gel. I remember from when I had my babies how cold it was during ultrasounds.

Sorry Kat for

When you go in and fill out all the paper work you will fill out a Fitzpatrick scale. U circle the numbers that fits u the best, add it up, and that's how you get your number. That's how we figure out what settings we use for you... The tech will do a test patch and see how ur skin reacts. Usually if the is a lil red of pfe, I will stay at that setting, if not i raise it up a lil more.
Here is the wiki for the fitz scale
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fitzpatrick_scale

You can use Tylenol but again, let ur tech know... Try ur first treatment without using pain killers, even Tylenol or Advil...and if by the second time u go in, u can try it, but still let ur tech know...at least she knows the settings already that she used last on you.

I think the reason why miss prim didn't get pfe is cuz she went all out with the pain and numbing lol. I don't use ice packs because the ultra sound gel is already ice cold lol. But if you do feel like a sunburn down there, it will help right after. Aoe Vera as well.
And like miss prim says, make sure u shave the night before or shave the day of.
The reason why you can't wax is because the laser targets the hair folical, if there isn't any hair then there's nothing for the laser to hit.
RNs usually do the treatments, if your center is a doctors office then you don't tip cuz they get paid well. But for the ones who work in a med spa dont get paid as much. I make most my money on tips and commission.

Leenbean09 likes this.
Old 02-09-2013, 01:16 AM

Originally Posted by MissPrism View Post
Leenbean, you're so helpful! I let my tech know of the Advil and cream. Honestly, because I am a little darker than most due to my ethnicity, I was scared of not feeling pain and then burning. I had huge anxiety during my first treatment due to that fear. I might try it without Advil the next time since I have very little hair left now. I sure wish my place used that ultra sound gel. I remember from when I had my babies how cold it was during ultrasounds.

Sorry Kat for
It sounds to me that they might of used a candela laser for you miss prim. Those are for more tanned/ dark skin. Im also tanned and have experience with that Laser. Those don't need the gel, they shoot out a spray that is super cold. Just like those sprays used for cleaning computer keyboards. If u ever spray the back of ur hand with those, it's so cold it feels like it almost burns lol. I did use a candela for my under arms. And diode for brazillian. And tbh I rather use a candela cuz it's so quick and easy. But they are more uncomfortable, like that sunburn feeling.

Boston_gal likes this.
Old 02-14-2013, 02:17 PM

Thanks again for all the great advice!

I think I will shave the night before or morning of (my appointment is late afternoon) so my skin has a chance to recover a bit first. I've only shaved a few times before because I have really sensitive skin and it just ends up a mess.

I asked the spa how they determine the laser setting, and they do use the Fitzpatrick scale. I'm a type I so hopefully they will be able to turn it up to an effective setting the first time. When I used my friend's Tria at home laser I had it on the top setting (20j/cm2 I believe) and it really did not do a whole lot. I never had any redness, bumps or noticeable hair fallout with that strength so I'm assuming it was too low for me?

As for the ultrasound gel, I have no idea if they use it or not. That sure would be nice though. Either way I will still bring the ice pack just in case.

VISIT WEBSITE
DOCTOR PROFILE
Old 02-14-2013, 02:35 PM

SumthinClever is on a distinguished road
I just finished my 6th treatment and I will for sure need a few more. It's really not so bad. and they will back off if you are in pain. Good luck! Even though I still need more, it was/is sooooooo worth the pain! And I NEVER get razor burn now!!
The Following User Says Thank You to SumthinClever For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2013, 02:54 PM

AllieCat will become famous soon enough
The first couple I did we're no problem. The last two I did, yeeeouch! It's so worth it though! I numb up plenty! My lady will also ice you if you want.
The Following User Says Thank You to AllieCat For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2013, 04:23 PM

dj2012 is a jewel in the rough dj2012 is a jewel in the rough dj2012 is a jewel in the rough dj2012 is a jewel in the rough
Had my first full brazilian using Diode laser a couple of weeks ago and I absolutely loved it!!! Didn't hurt at all and I'm looking forward to my next session. Didn't use numbing cream either.
The Following User Says Thank You to dj2012 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2013, 01:48 PM

fit4evr is on a distinguished road
Regarding pain, I had numbing cream and advil each time - and still thought it hurt. I'd definitely recommend cream.
Old 02-17-2013, 12:23 AM

So I had my first session today. Overall not a bad experience. The laser tech I had was really nice and I was done within fifteen minutes.

I decided not to use any cream or pain pills this time since most people said the first session isn't bad.

The tech started me off at 25j/cm2 but it will be increasing for next session. I think she was worried about how my skin was going to react. Is this a normal setting to start off at for someone who is pale? What setting is everyone else using?

They did end up using the cold ultrasound gel which was nice because the cooling tip didn't really feel that cold.

The paIn was not too bad. Most spots were just mildly uncomfortable, some spots I could barely feel anything, and a few spots were more painful.

After my appointment I was given aloa vera gel to apply and they went over any instructions. I feel fine, but the area that was lasered is red, splotchy and a little swollen. How long does it usually take for this to go away? It's not painful, but looks pretty ugly.

I have my next appointment scheduled for april 13th .

VISIT WEBSITE
DOCTOR PROFILE
Old 03-14-2013, 11:32 PM

Just thought I would give a quick update in case anyone is interested.

It's been about a month since my first appointment and I am really happy with my results so far. I would say I have about a 50% reduction in hair already.

It ended up taking quite a while for my hair to shed. At first I thought that it hadn't worked, but I guess it just took longer than usual. I think I started to notice shedding starting around day 15 or 16 after my appointment that lasted about a week.

Hopefully I will be hair free after my six sessions .

BC A2C and Sandpine like this.

VISIT WEBSITE
DOCTOR PROFILE
Old 03-14-2013, 11:42 PM
5'1" & 125lbs

BC A2C is a splendid one to behold BC A2C is a splendid one to behold BC A2C is a splendid one to behold BC A2C is a splendid one to behold BC A2C is a splendid one to behold BC A2C is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Kat. View Post

It's been about a month since my first appointment and I am really happy with my results so far. I would say I have about a 50% reduction in hair already.

It ended up taking quite a while for my hair to shed. At first I thought that it hadn't worked, but I guess it just took longer than usual. I think I started to notice shedding starting around day 15 or 16 after my appointment that lasted about a week.

I'd love to give it a try, but I'm chicken sh*t lol....a combination of being a bit shy + the pain in the junk area.

I'm like you. Naturally I'm quite fair, but my hair (at least there) is dark. My blonde friends have given it a try with mixed luck. I think I'd be a good candidate if I could get over my fear.

The idea of "shedding" is hilarious. If you shave right before the appointment, I guess it would take a little while for the hairs to regrown long enough to fall out, correct?

I've heard two different methods of treatment too.

1.) You do the whole area gradually increasing the strength. Example, 6 sessions over the whole area, increasing the strength each time or everything couple sessions.
2.) You so smaller areas each, but start and stay with a high setting. Example, 6 sessions, but each session might cover 1/3 of the total area, and only 2-3 sessions per area.

DsOnThisB likes this.
Old 03-15-2013, 09:37 PM

JSD1313 is on a distinguished road
congrats! I've had 6 full brazilian sessions and the results have been fabulous. I'd like to go a couple more times sometime soon.
Old 03-15-2013, 09:42 PM
saving my pennies

sneeko is on a distinguished road

yep! It takes about 10 days for me for the hair to shed. That's pretty good for a first appointment! But don't be surprised if a lot of it grows back after a couple months, because hair grows in phases.
I'm on appt 7, two left I think. I've got naturally red hair though, so need to use a different laser at a higher setting and have had patchy results. These days I'm loving it, though.. not much left to go.
Before my last appointment I had figured I was pretty much done, but then out of nowhere I had a fresh batch of hair and it looked like barely any progress had been made! It was frustrating. Last appt took care of it all, though. Good riddance!
Reply Subscribe