Go Back   Just Breast Implants Forum Other Plastic Surgery Procedures & Cosmetic Dentistry > Laser Hair Removal , Tattoo Removal, Cellulite, Spider Veins, Stretch Marks, and Scar Revision

|
Forgot Username/Password?
Forum Home Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Laser Hair Removal , Tattoo Removal, Cellulite, Spider Veins, Stretch Marks, and Scar Revision Discuss laser hair removal, tattoo removal, cellulite treatments, spider veins, stretch marks, and scar revisions here.

Tattoo removal

Reply Subscribe
Old 04-13-2008, 01:27 PM

runnergirl9279 is on a distinguished road
Tattoo removal

I have been getting laser treatments to remove a small tattoo that I have on my lower back and I was just wondering if anyone else has had this procedure done. I am really unhappy so far with my lack of results. I have been getting treatments for well over a year now and I am not seeing any great results. I was told that it would take a total of 11 treatments, with eight week intervals between treatments. I just had my 11th treatment and my tattoo is still there, only slightly blurry and maybe faded only by 50%. I wonder if I should try to find another place... It's actually pretty painful and I really want this tattoo GONE!!! Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated...
Old 04-13-2008, 06:39 PM

chickie32 is on a distinguished road
8 weeks in between?? that sounds like alot of time, even for a large size tat. maybe you could start shopping around for another dermatologist and see what they offer.

Old 04-13-2008, 08:29 PM

kiwi is on a distinguished road
If the tattoo was a light color to begin with it will be more difficult to remove. The lasers work best on dark inks. I also had about 8 treatments on a tattoo that was light blue and it just didn't work. I had it incised while I was under for my boob job and I'm happy with the result. I'd much rather have a tiny scar than the awgul tattoo I had, plus the cut mark is right at the end of my c-section scar so it worked out great. I don't know if incision woukd be an option you'd consider, but you could always ask a PS. Good luck!
Old 04-14-2008, 06:47 AM

brunettebeauty is on a distinguished road
I have had 3 tattoos removed. I actually had mine taken off at a tattoo parlor. They were all pretty dark colors,mostly black. But he had me waiting several months for my skin to heal in between. But after 5 treatments they are all gone. It hurt like hell, they gave nothing for pain or to numb it. But it worked really well for me. So not sure what the dermatologist is doing different? What colors were they supposedly green and blues are hard to get out. Maybe some people set the lasers at different strengths and that could affect how mant treatments I'm guessing. Good Luck
Old 04-14-2008, 07:02 AM

a dermatologist is able to administer a shot of novacain into the tattoo site before applying the laser treatment
Old 04-14-2008, 07:50 AM
Bright Shing Star

Storm will become famous soon enough
Just something i heard from a tatoo guy in the store beside me. Goats Milk on it will lighten it. Sounds crazy, but who knows.
Cheap and it can't hurt to try..
Old 04-14-2008, 08:19 AM
medianoche1

I am in the same boat, for 2 years I would go every 8 weeks for a treatment - one of the most painful things ever! - and my tattoo is still pretty visable. I gave up due to lack of funds. I have already spent about $1,500 and just didnt feel it was worth it anymore. Maybe someday when I have money to throw around I will go at it again, but it is so frustrating to go through the pain and not get much of a result.

Old 04-14-2008, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by medianoche1 View Post
I am in the same boat, for 2 years I would go every 8 weeks for a treatment - one of the most painful things ever! - and my tattoo is still pretty visable. I gave up due to lack of funds. I have already spent about $1,500 and just didnt feel it was worth it anymore. Maybe someday when I have money to throw around I will go at it again, but it is so frustrating to go through the pain and not get much of a result.
oh wow.
my treatments were $250 each, 2 week intervals. may i ask what yours were?

Old 04-14-2008, 09:00 AM

penny is on a distinguished road
Just wondering, what laser do they use on your tattoos? Is it the YAG/MediLite?
Old 04-14-2008, 09:12 AM

Nica is on a distinguished road
What is the average cost? I have a tattoo that i love and want to keep, but another that just isn't me and I've thought about getting removed.

What size was your tattoo c-girl? They don't have a garentee?
Old 04-14-2008, 11:37 AM

ReveredAndi is on a distinguished road
The darker the color the best chance you have of it being removed. Another thing to remember is everyone has different skin, so it might remove it from one persons but not remove it all the way from your skin. I have one on my hand I am going to have a few treatments done to just to lighten it so I can cover it with something else. It's black so the odds of it coming out pretty quick are good.
Old 04-14-2008, 11:37 AM

mine was only quarter-size, so only 4 treatments were needed, and i think in this northeastern area it's about $200-$300, depending on what exactly needs to be done (mine was mainly all black and dark colors, so mine was "easier to treat"). but what 'guarantee' are you talking about? no one can guarantee you anything - other than to make sure you're satisfied.

Old 04-14-2008, 04:51 PM

runnergirl9279 is on a distinguished road
tattoo

The funny thing is that my tattoo IS mainly black! And the tattoo is only like silver dollar sized, so you would think that it wouldn't be too stubborn (it's not the size that matters though, I know it is the color of the ink). As far as price, I paid $750 for the entire process, so at least I am not paying per visit... It has just been a painful process (I am also getting full body laser hair removal and the tattoo removal process is WAY more painful!) and this time last year, I thought I would be 'bikini ready' with no tattoo by now! Oh well. The person that treats the tattoo said that my tattoo is really stubborn, but she promises me that if I stick with it, it will 'eventually' go away.... Is there anyone in the tampa bay area that knows of a reputable place that has worked for them???? Thanks girls, for all of your input!!
Old 04-15-2008, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by Blue View Post
I believe YAG is a common one to use on tattoo removal. (from what I recall reading in the waiting room for laser hair removal)

I'd kind of like to get this done but I am not sure I can settle with the idea of paying over 10 times as much as it cost to put there - not to mention probably 10 times as much pain. Plus the possible scarring (it's on my spine, so thin skin). Suppose it's just one of my many marks from random events of my life. I don't hate it but sometimes I wish it weren't there.
that's whats great about lasers - it doesn't leave *any* scarring but yea - it's astronomical compared to paying to *put* it there in the first place.....yet another reason why so many teenagers should think long and hard before getting one

Old 04-15-2008, 06:44 PM
T27
So Fly!

T27 is on a distinguished road
Wow, laser removal doesn't leave scarring.....? I have one I want to get rid of but I was afraid too b/c I thought it would scar!!! Maybe I will start looking around!
Old 04-15-2008, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by T27 View Post
Wow, laser removal doesn't leave scarring.....? I have one I want to get rid of but I was afraid too b/c I thought it would scar!!! Maybe I will start looking around!
omg that's why i went ahead and got my tattoo in the first place! lol. yea no scars. BUT...the treatments are more costly than getting the tattoo to begin with oh well.

i'd look for a dermatologist to do your laser removal treatments tho
The Following User Says Thank You to chickie32 For This Useful Post:
T27
Old 04-15-2008, 08:08 PM

pro_shopper is on a distinguished road
I have seen results of peoples tattoos after they have been completely removed and they had a scar that was the shape of the tattoo. You cannot see the tattoo colors anymore but you could still see the shape of the tattoo, but the color of the skin where the tattoo was, was also slightly darker than the persons natural skin color. So technically the tattoo (in my eyes) was not completely removed.

I'm not sure if this is the best results that tattoo removal can get you but it appears that way from what i've seen.
The Following User Says Thank You to pro_shopper For This Useful Post:
T27
Old 04-15-2008, 09:02 PM

i know they say it depends on how deep the tattoo ink was, so maybe that's why...?

The Following User Says Thank You to chickie32 For This Useful Post:
T27
Old 04-18-2008, 12:39 PM

penny is on a distinguished road
omg it hurts! I feel really bad for those of you who had it done to an entire tattoo. I'm trying it on birthmarks, which work the same as tattoos I think, if it's really deep it might not work on it and the birthmark will come back after fading. Mine is still sore where I got it lol and I feel like I smell like burning skin eeek. I'll think twice about getting tattoos now.
Old 04-18-2008, 02:30 PM
furfur

I had a tattoo removed on my lower back also.

Mine was blue, black and had a spot of yellow in it. I had 7 treatments total done and for the cost and time spent I was pleased for the most part. I can tell you, reading through your expierence there are MANY factors that make the fading of a tattoo through laser treatments 'WORK'. There are different lasers for different tattoo inks/colors. There is a laser for the blues/greens, yellows/reds, and another for the black color only. If your doctor is not using different lasers to work the different colors that is probably a HUGE reason you have not seen a change.

I understand that those treatments are expensive (mine ran about $150 a piece) and you want to see dramatic changes and when you don't its disheartening.

Reply Subscribe