Go Back   Just Breast Implants Forum Other Plastic Surgery Procedures & Cosmetic Dentistry > Laser Hair Removal , Tattoo Removal, Cellulite, Spider Veins, Stretch Marks, and Scar Revision

|
Forgot Username/Password?
Forum Home Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Laser Hair Removal , Tattoo Removal, Cellulite, Spider Veins, Stretch Marks, and Scar Revision Discuss laser hair removal, tattoo removal, cellulite treatments, spider veins, stretch marks, and scar revisions here.

Electrolysis/Laser Hair Removal

Reply Subscribe
Old 01-04-2009, 12:16 AM

anonymousgirl is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by lOvy View Post
On a scale from 1 to 10 how bad is the pain?
Well, it really depends on the person and your pain tolerance. For some parts of my body, it's a 1, some a 10. I just went through my 4th treatment today and around the shins and calves it honestly felt like a razor peeling off my skin and my leg had a heartbeat of its own for a few minutes.

That said, and this might be hard to believe, but I HIGHLY recommend it and couldn't imagine life without it. The pain can be intense, but only lasts for about 2-3 seconds and then is done. Taking some ibuprofen and bringing an mp3 player helps too.
Old 01-04-2009, 12:23 AM

lOvy is on a distinguished road
yikes!

I have free laser hair removal to my bikini area but am kind of scared. Guy told me his girls bikini area was dark brown from the treatment .. kind of like it burned it
Old 01-04-2009, 12:32 AM

yikes!

I have free laser hair removal to my bikini area but am kind of scared. Guy told me his girls bikini area was dark brown from the treatment .. kind of like it burned it

Oh, definitely get the bikini area done!!! That was actually the least painful of any area. (The most- calves because of how thick and dense the hair is.) The bikini area is awesome because you never have to worry about bikini bumps again!

And a bikini area turning dark brown from the treatment? Wow! I've never heard of anything like that happening before. I'm wondering if she went to a bargain place. My sister is getting treatment done for really cheap and she tells me how unprofessional and ineffective the treatment is. Stick to a highly reputable salon and you'll be fine. (You might want to ask the technician about the dark brown thing, though. She might have a good explantion why that might happen.)
Old 01-04-2009, 10:25 AM

kwhitchurch is on a distinguished road
I have read that electrolysis is the only permanent hair removal solution (although it also can take several treatments) but that laser hair removal only slows down the regrowth process but is never a permanent solution.

VISIT WEBSITE
DOCTOR PROFILE
Old 01-04-2009, 03:40 PM

I've heard that there are no actual permanent solutions, but both give great results. The laser treatments leave only the REALLY fine, light hairs behind, which are nearly impossible to see unless you're really trying. Although there's no guarantee, I've heard of people having it done 10 years ago and still having perfect results.
Old 01-04-2009, 04:04 PM

itsnowornever will become famous soon enough
I went for a brazilian wax once...that hurt so bad I went home after two strips....does this other stuff hurt?
Old 01-04-2009, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by itsnowornever View Post
I went for a brazilian wax once...that hurt so bad I went home after two strips....does this other stuff hurt?
Yes, but in a different way. I used to get a brazilian once a month and it would leave me sore for a day. Laser treatment is like a rubber band snap. It hurts pretty badly for that moment, then the pain is gone in a few moments. I'd recommend saving a few painkillers from your BA for your laser hair days.
Old 01-04-2009, 04:34 PM

FWGirly is on a distinguished road
I had my lip and chin lasered about 4 years ago. It didn't work well for me. It reduced the growth for a while, but now I have more hairs than before and have been looking in to electrolysis for a more permanent solution. Plucking is becoming a huge pain in the a$$!
Old 01-04-2009, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by FWGirly View Post
I had my lip and chin lasered about 4 years ago. It didn't work well for me. It reduced the growth for a while, but now I have more hairs than before and have been looking in to electrolysis for a more permanent solution. Plucking is becoming a huge pain in the a$$!
How much did you spend for it?
Old 01-04-2009, 05:02 PM

craec is on a distinguished road
I just finished treatments for my chin and upper lip (laser hair removal). I won it at an auction a few years ago and had to put it on hold due to pregnancy,etc.. I'm SO happy I finally finished up treatments, I still have a few occasional hairs I need to tweeze but I used to get waxed every 2 weeks and still have issues with hairs.

The upper lip right under my nose was the most painful spot for me of those two sections, it does bring tears to my eyes but it's generally about 5 minutes.. I can stand it for 5 minutes if it means that I'll have less facial hair to worry about.
Old 01-08-2009, 08:58 AM

FWGirly is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by anonymousgirl View Post
How much did you spend for it?
Around a grand. I can't remember off the top of my head.
Old 01-11-2009, 04:54 PM

path_head is on a distinguished road
With each of my procedures my PS offers something free from the spa .. With my TT I get free laser hair removal (because the location of my pubic hair line is moved up). I've been in so much pain I don't even want to think about doing anything else to make me uncomfortable. lol

Is it really worth it?
Absolutely!!!! I would recommend waiting until you are pain free. The laser hair removal hurts when the laser zaps you, but then it subsides. The initial feeling is like a million small needles slapping you. Then, it's over. Afterwards, the skin feels a little sore/raw, but not painful (0.5-1.0 on a pain scale of 1-10). The discomfort is gone in a day. Of course, it depends on the type of laser and your own level of pain sensation. Of the areas on the bikini line, the top and sides are least painful. Down the middle (I got a Brazilian style one), HURTS (but I feel so vindicated in getting rid of the hairs I do not care!!!) Good luck!!!!

XO,

Path Head
Old 01-14-2009, 07:32 PM

funnyandsunny is on a distinguished road
Yes I had it done in Boston... I had my brazilian, navel, underarms and upper lip for about $2500 total. Although it is kind of painful... its not nearly as bad as waxing. And anonymousgirl is right... a few pain killers before treatment will do wonders... it will cut the pain in half.

I would recommend it because it makes life so much more convenient... but don't listen to the spas when they say 6 treatments.... in reality its more like 8-12. Virtually noone loses all their hair in 6 treatments.
Old 01-16-2009, 12:49 AM

luisa_ru is on a distinguished road
I have had both electrolysis and laser hair removal done. I think for an odd 1 or two hairs (I had 1 dark one on my chin and a few dark nipple hairs - yuck!) I prefer electrolysis (also cheaper). For larger areas like bikini line, and underarms I love laser. I didn't really find it too painful and it has worked a treat because I have nasty dark, course italian hairs.

Just saving up to get my legs done!

Upper lip is tricky, I think I want the laser for that too.

I am too hairy - aaaaaaahhh!

The only down side to laser, I think is that I couldn't use the sunbeds in between. I also had to ensure all my fake tan had been well and truly scrubbed off for my treatments.

x x
Old 01-17-2009, 08:29 PM

coolmom is on a distinguished road
I went for 4 times treatment with laser and all my underarm hair is gone!
They not even close to brazilian wax pain. This is much better just like a rubber snap. The technician told me usually with dark hair will be more difficult than the blonde hair.
So overall is still worth the pain and the money IMO
Old 01-18-2009, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by coolmom View Post
I went for 4 times treatment with laser and all my underarm hair is gone!
They not even close to brazilian wax pain. This is much better just like a rubber snap. The technician told me usually with dark hair will be more difficult than the blonde hair.
So overall is still worth the pain and the money IMO
That's strange. My technician told me that laser hair removal simply won't work on blonde people. The laser seeks out the dark hair and that's how it knows what to zap.
Old 01-22-2009, 04:23 PM

aced21 is on a distinguished road
It does not work with light colored hair. Electrolysis is the only way to go.
Old 01-23-2009, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by vestab View Post
It does not work with light colored hair. Electrolysis is the only way to go.
Well, unless you have dark hair (like me). Laser hair removal has been a godsend!
Reply Subscribe