Go Back   Just Breast Implants Forum Other Plastic Surgery Procedures & Cosmetic Dentistry > Laser Hair Removal , Tattoo Removal, Cellulite, Spider Veins, Stretch Marks, and Scar Revision

|
Forgot Username/Password?
Forum Home Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Laser Hair Removal , Tattoo Removal, Cellulite, Spider Veins, Stretch Marks, and Scar Revision Discuss laser hair removal, tattoo removal, cellulite treatments, spider veins, stretch marks, and scar revisions here.

Laser Hair Removal last week - OUCH!!!!!!!!!!

Reply Subscribe
Old 10-13-2009, 08:18 PM

fromb2c is on a distinguished road
Laser Hair Removal last week - OUCH!!!!!!!!!!

I was NOT prepared for how much it was going to hurt. I have light tan skin, nothing dark and lots of hair. Underarms, my shins and chin/neck (sparse spots on them) was like having a blowtorch touch my skin. The bikinin line was only dreadful in a few places, not all. I even took a muscle relaxer before going so I wouldn't be tense - so much for that.

Sad thing is that over the next 2 days I tweezed the hairs off my chin/neck area and they were just as hard to pull out as they were before the treatment!

She used an nd:yag laser.

So for those who went through this, was it as painful the next time? Did you see any reduction after 1st visit (I've seen none)? Was there any difference in tweezing afterward? Because I'mhoping that I didn't undergo that torture and $$$$$$$$ for nothing

Thank you ladies.
The Following User Says Thank You to fromb2c For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2009, 10:01 PM

jsgirl4 will become famous soon enough jsgirl4 will become famous soon enough
I don't have any answers...but am thankful you shared this. I want it in the future and would love to hear the responses. Thanks
Old 10-13-2009, 10:49 PM

laffytaffy is on a distinguished road
i use numbing cream. so maybe try that? i've gone to several appt without the numbing cream so i know i can stand the pain without it but at least with the numbing cream, they can use a higher level on me.
The Following User Says Thank You to laffytaffy For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2009, 10:50 PM

laffytaffy is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by fromb2c View Post

So for those who went through this, was it as painful the next time? Did you see any reduction after 1st visit (I've seen none)? Was there any difference in tweezing afterward? Because I'mhoping that I didn't undergo that torture and $$$$$$$$ for nothing

Thank you ladies.
one visit is not enough to see results. i think you'll see results after 3 or 4 visits.
The Following User Says Thank You to laffytaffy For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2009, 10:50 PM

2HoTT is on a distinguished road
Hey Girlie -

I had laser hair removal on my bikini area and my chin and upper lip. I have to tell you ... it really doesn't get any better. For me, it felt like getting a shot every time the technician "pulled the trigger" and afterward I felt the burning.

I have very light skin and dark/light hair. I noticed after I started getting lasered that my hair would actually change color mid strand. It was weird. So, I had pretty good results.

I had six treatments total, and have just a little bit of hair left in the bikini area. I can shave it really easily, and waxing now is a breeze. My upper lip hair is totally gone, but I still have some blond chin hair. *sigh*

Hope that helps!

Let me know if you have any more questions!

Dori
Old 10-14-2009, 05:16 AM
CLM

CLM will become famous soon enough
The pain only gets worse!!!

You're not suppose to pluck any hairs while undergoing the treatments. The hair follicle has to be in place in order for the laser to "kill" it. Shaving only.

I have had 8 treatments. I am fair skinned, dark hair, unfortunately, I have little to no reduction of hair. I have to go back for at least 3 more treatments.

There is a numbing gel you can use. It helps a little.
The Following User Says Thank You to CLM For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2009, 06:15 AM

AusGirl is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by CLM View Post

I have had 8 treatments. I am fair skinned, dark hair, unfortunately, I have little to no reduction of hair. I have to go back for at least 3 more treatments.

There is a numbing gel you can use. It helps a little.
Yes, listen to CLM! No tweezing or waxing for six weeks before laser, and not at all during your treatment period! Otherwise there's no point even trying. Plus it takes mine like a week or even two for the hairs to fall out afterwards.

I actually have hardly any pain during it, or at least it is just a little stingy occasionally...totally manageable. What REALLY helps is that my technician always applies an ice pack to the area prior to zapping it, and also chills the gel she uses. It really makes a huge difference! If your technician doesn't do this, ask them to or maybe even take in your own icepack? And yeah, I've heard that numbing cream helps but I haven't had to try it myself.

Good luck with it! It's totally worth it
The Following User Says Thank You to AusGirl For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2009, 06:25 AM
D&F'd.

sweetm will become famous soon enough
I also agree with CLM - NO PLUCKING OR TWEEZING EVER AGAIN (what I've been told).

I had Nd:Yag laser on my underarms and brazilian (almost 10 times now)... it didn't hurt that much (not like a blowtorch). The skin should not feel hot cuz that could mean that the technician is burning you. You should only feel heat in the hair follicles. (Like little firecrackers popping under your skin). Does the laser you use have a cooling tip that cools the area for a second or two before the laser starts zapping? If not, I'd go to a place that uses a cooling tip. If they do have a cooling tip, ask them to hold it on the spot for a bit longer so the area has time to numb.

I hate to tell you this, but the pain will get worse - with each treatment, they increase the energy of the laser. Eventually, it will hurt less because you will have less hair to zap.

To manage pain:
- Take an advil or tylenol 30 mins before your session. Muscle relaxants don't relieve that type of pain.
- Make your appointment for a couple days AFTER your period - our pain tolerance is higher at this time.
- Get a really close shave before your appointment - this reduces the amount of heat you will feel as the hairs are shorter, and attract less energy from the laser
- Remember to take deep breaths and try to distract yourself while its happening.
The Following User Says Thank You to sweetm For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2009, 06:29 AM

realbabe is on a distinguished road
UH OH u tweezed!!! That is a big no no

I have done EVERY area on my body- except arms. Underarm I saw very good results after even one treatment. Brazillian I still have hair but not as much. Some places got worse but they should be all gone by the time my contract is over- 2yr. It will always hurt sorry to tell you- might get less with more treatments because you will have less hair. The darkest follicles die first. Things to help with the pain- take a pain killer before you go, numbing cream, that cooling gel they have, get plenty of sleep the night before, don't do it around your period cycle.

Good luck
The Following User Says Thank You to realbabe For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2009, 12:23 PM

GGjersey is on a distinguished road
tweezing/waxing pre/post laser hair removal is a big "no no".. you want the whole hair to fall out and shed intact (not partial - can happen if you tweeze). FYI, you will get used to the pain and it gets better with time.. your doctor might have the option of providing you with a numbing gel. HTH!!
The Following User Says Thank You to GGjersey For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2009, 12:28 PM

raeyn is on a distinguished road
I agree with the others! I've been getting it done on my chin and upper lip and just had my 7th session, with 3 left to go. It does hurt every time. The numbing cream helps a lot. You can get some at Sally's Beauty Supply or drugstore.com, but it's not as strong as the one that the laser place can get you. No tweezing or waxing, just shaving! After 7 sessions I still have some hair left, but it's much much better. I didn't expect it to take this long (going on 2 years) but they always tell me that from the neck up the hair is really stubborn and takes a long time to get rid of. I plan to get my girly bits done the next time they run a buy 1 area get another area free deal so I can get my underarms done too.
The Following User Says Thank You to raeyn For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2009, 07:11 PM

Thanks - any idea what laser they're using?

Thanks - any idea what laser they're using?

Originally Posted by dori.blakley View Post
Hey Girlie -

I had laser hair removal on my bikini area and my chin and upper lip. I have to tell you ... it really doesn't get any better. For me, it felt like getting a shot every time the technician "pulled the trigger" and afterward I felt the burning.

I have very light skin and dark/light hair. I noticed after I started getting lasered that my hair would actually change color mid strand. It was weird. So, I had pretty good results.

I had six treatments total, and have just a little bit of hair left in the bikini area. I can shave it really easily, and waxing now is a breeze. My upper lip hair is totally gone, but I still have some blond chin hair. *sigh*

Hope that helps!

Let me know if you have any more questions!

Dori
Old 10-14-2009, 07:17 PM

Thank you so much for all the advice

I will stop tweezing in between treatments. They said I could up to 2 weeks prior but what you're saying makes sense.

The laser is a coolglide, I think. It zaps then sprays something on afterward - didn't find that much help.

I'm considering my options. There's another place in town, alexandrite (which cools before the zap). Seems like a much better option for me. I'm going to ask her for references from previous patients (since I could not find anything online).

Thank you again!
Old 10-14-2009, 07:18 PM

SoKrayzie is on a distinguished road
oh thanks for this posts, Im hopefully getting my bikini n underarms done by summer....i can handle waxing so hopefully this type pain i can handle... great info thanks girls
Old 10-14-2009, 08:23 PM

justright will become famous soon enough justright will become famous soon enough
I do laser hair removal using a Yag and an alexandrite laser. I find (personally and with clients) that as the density of hair decreases with each treatment the pain does decrease some. I think armpits hurt the most. Legs have their spots (shins, ankles, feet, etc), bikini isn't too horrible, and face (lips especially) always tend to stay sensitive.

I don't think the numbing cream helps much and that's using a 7% lidocaine. I just bite my tongue and fire away (often with a few colorful words thrown out there too).

Definitely no tweezing. After the laser treatment the hairs will even be hard to shave, just let them fall out. What grows back in those follicles will be lighter and finer.

Hair removal takes a LOT of treatments to get all the hair gone or considerably less. Be patient. I've been working on my own (FAIR skin, medium hair color) for 2 years, about every other month and there are still a few stragglers to treat but it's about 1/10th of what it was.
The Following User Says Thank You to justright For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2009, 08:32 PM

BlueOrchid is on a distinguished road
I just started Laser as well. I'm on my 3rd session on legs and did my 1st on arms. I didn't think it hurt, I started at Level 16 and 18 but didn't get much reaction so they went up to 22 and it started to hurt a LITTLE but got a good reaction to my hairs. Make sure you shave before so it hurts less.... I heard it will hurt less in the future b/c there will be less hairs to zap.
The Following User Says Thank You to BlueOrchid For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2009, 09:13 PM

harleybabe is on a distinguished road
I did my armpits a few months ago it hurt so bad I am not going back. I did not expect so much pain and I take pain pretty well but this hurt.
The Following User Says Thank You to harleybabe For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2009, 06:33 PM
I dont need your world to validate me...

msmisty is just really nice msmisty is just really nice msmisty is just really nice msmisty is just really nice
i thought it was pretty painful myself and it doesnt get better. i wouldnt say it gets worse, but its still pretty painful every time. but maybe its because i had a full brazilian and that area is sensitive anyway. try not to go right before or after you've had your period because you'll be extra sensitive during that time. also like everyone else said, NOT TWEEZING. you're suppose to wait until the hair falls out. the first time it took about a week, the second time they started falling out after a few days. im going in for my 4th treatment in a couple of weeks but i've already noticed that a significant amount of my hair hasnt grown back.

BEAUTY KNOWS NO PAIN!!!! LOL
The Following User Says Thank You to msmisty For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2009, 10:56 PM

XLoveX is on a distinguished road
I really want to get this done but I heard a rumor that it doesnt work that well on dark skinned women with thick hair I am still willing to try and hopefully get a good outcome!

best of luck with yours!!!!!
Old 10-24-2009, 03:37 PM
I dont need your world to validate me...

msmisty is just really nice msmisty is just really nice msmisty is just really nice msmisty is just really nice
Originally Posted by XLoveX View Post
I really want to get this done but I heard a rumor that it doesnt work that well on dark skinned women with thick hair I am still willing to try and hopefully get a good outcome!

best of luck with yours!!!!!
if dark skinned you mean tan then i can tell you that im naturally pretty tan and i have REALLY thick hair and its been fine for me...dont let them trick you into the 8 times treatment plan (like they did me, its more expensive). i've only gone 3 times and the hair is almost all gone. i should've gone with their 6 time treatment plan, its cheaper.
The Following User Says Thank You to msmisty For This Useful Post:
Reply Subscribe