Go Back   Just Breast Implants Forum Other Plastic Surgery Procedures & Cosmetic Dentistry > Lip Augmentation

|
Forgot Username/Password?
Forum Home Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Lip Augmentation Discuss lip augmentation via fat transfer, implants, or injectable fillers here.

older thinning lips?

Old 05-15-2009, 01:53 PM

tombraidergirl is on a distinguished road
older thinning lips?

Hi there ladies as i am not really new here i have only had Breast implants thus far to my body , saying alot im going on 41, my skin is holding up great, and eyes , but i have always been complimented on my lips people has thought them to had been done all my life , they have always been one of my best features, as i am gettting older i am noticing some little changes in the lips, as the top lip getting a tad smaller , and my lips not as full, is this a norm thing?

and has any of you ladies gotten anything done just to maintain ur natural looking lips ? anything over the counter that you would recomend or some type of safe short lasting injections , seeing i have full lips naturally i am a bit afraid to mess with them ...lol..

any advice ladies on this sub?
Old 05-15-2009, 03:21 PM

BayWatchGirl is on a distinguished road
Wink Wanting Fuller Lips

Hi! How lucky are you to be 41 and just now having to consider a lip filler! Both Restalyne and Juvederm are excellent choices for this. Both are very natural looking. I have had each done multiple times over the past few years. Juvederm is a newer injectible, and I have received many compliments on the results. Juvederm also lasts longer (for me it has lasted nearly a year - am ready to make another appointment)! Ask your plastic surgeon which one he/she recommends for you. Also, go their websites as both offer discounts and coupons. Ask if any topical numbing agents are available to use beforehand (and definitely use them).

I have also tried several "lip plumpers" - Victoria's Secret, Lancome, etc. These did not work for me and were fairly costly - $20.00+. They have a tingling sensation to them and come off fairly easily - more like a lip gloss. To me, no substitute whatsoever for the real thing!

To note, after you have your lips injected, they will be more plump over the first few days than what they will actually look like when they "settle" in. Just keep ice on them afterwards and over the next day or so. But you can have this done and go right back to work afterwards! Try to avoid aspirin for the week prior to having this done to reduce bleeding. I think you will be very happy with the results!! Good luck and happy smiles!!
Old 05-18-2009, 10:34 PM

justright will become famous soon enough justright will become famous soon enough
what you're experiencing is normal aging of the lips. YOur upper lip (above the lip, below your nose) elongatates and your upper lip begins to curl inward and appear thinner. You can "reverse" this with filler and add fullness as well as increase the pink appearance of them with fillers AND Botox. You don't have to do the Botox but a couple injections in the upper lip will help evert (curl outward) the upper lip, as well as prevent those nasty little lip lines above your lip.

Regarding which filler to use. If you've got quite a thin upper lip then Restylane I find helps to "hold" the new shape better than Juvederm. But if you're just beginning to thin and need volume then Juvederm is great. Have your injector fill the vermillion border which is where the pink and white meet on your lips. It'll help augment the shape and give your lips a gentle projection and more youthful look.

Go for a dental block versus a topical on the lips. Topical I find does very little whereas a low dose dental block (injections in the nerves in your mouth) is ideal as you'll feel next to nothing as the lip injections are performed.

First time injections in the lips (or anywhere for that matter) tend to dissipate faster than subsequent injections. Subsequent injections with Juvederm or Restylane will last closer to or a little longer than a year. In some it will last about 18 months.

The mouth area loses its fullness from fillers the fastest as the constant movement from talking and eating break down the product faster.

Hope this helps. Go do it. You'll love it and no "plumper" product will do what the fillers can!!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to justright For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2009, 08:20 PM

justright - excellent recommendation on the dental block! I did not put it in my post and should have. I ALWAYS get a dental block. For me, I find any filler in the lips too painful to tolerate. My ps does not charge extra for it either! With the dental block, I do not feel anything. It's worth having my mouth numb afterwards just to have no pain during the lip enhancement. The topicals do not work on me at all. Good call! Thanks!
The Following User Says Thank You to BayWatchGirl For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2009, 03:42 AM

mir1028 is on a distinguished road
I find restylane works really well also - and always get a dental block!
You may also want to look at PermaLip - it's a permanent lip implant (a piece of silicone - not a gel). The surgery takes about 20 mins and if you don't like the look, you can take it out. They've been doing it in the UK for a number of years and I've heard it's available in the US now too. It last forever - saving the cost of injections and the pain too!
The Following User Says Thank You to mir1028 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2009, 12:58 PM

justright will become famous soon enough justright will become famous soon enough
Mir10287 - yes, the lip implants are here in the US and look amazing!!! In fact I've been pondering whether or not I want to do them so I don't have to continually inject my lips (though what I do is minor). Here it's called the SurgiSil Perma Facial Implant: http://www.surgisil.com/us/index.html The silicone tubes are VERY soft, flexible and stretchy. Of the gals in my office that have done them they all look fantastic!!!

BayWatchGirl - thank you! Topicals on the lips do nothing!! Not even the topical I use for laser procedures (which is 3x stronger than what we usually use pre-injection) are not strong enough to stop the pain! We don't charge for a dental block either. I think that's only fair (and fair to assume that all want it!!!)
The Following User Says Thank You to justright For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2009, 11:27 AM

Justright - Can the silicone lip implants be felt i.e., if someone is kissing you? Do you know if the body can have any type of adverse reaction to them or cause scar tissue to form? I'd like to find a more permanent solution for thinning lips other than injections if possible! Thank you so much!

P.S. I went to their site (thank you for the link), but it does not address whether implant can be felt or not. It would be helpful to their site if they would have before and after pictures - could probably sell it more! (Can you tell I'm in surgical sales?)!!