Go Back   Just Breast Implants Forum Other Plastic Surgery Procedures & Cosmetic Dentistry > Lip Augmentation

|
Forgot Username/Password?
Forum Home Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Lip Augmentation Discuss lip augmentation via fat transfer, implants, or injectable fillers here.

Lip injections and Numbing...

Old 02-15-2010, 08:43 AM

Kody32 is on a distinguished road
Lip injections and Numbing...

This is random but I'm just curious if it is any cheaper to not get the dental block (numbing) when having lip injections?
Old 02-15-2010, 11:07 PM

justright will become famous soon enough justright will become famous soon enough
If there is a charge it should be minimal for the dental block versus topical. At my practice we don't charge for the dental block.
Old 02-17-2010, 09:29 PM

stargazer will become famous soon enough
Is the dental block a lot better at numbing than just topical, is it worth doing if there is a higher fee? What do they actually do for a dental block, injections on the inside of the lip like at the dentist or on the outside? Thanks!
Old 02-18-2010, 10:52 AM

DixieDiva is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by stargazer View Post
Is the dental block a lot better at numbing than just topical, is it worth doing if there is a higher fee? What do they actually do for a dental block, injections on the inside of the lip like at the dentist or on the outside? Thanks!
With a dental block they give you numbing injections into your upper gums it was pretty painful to me. The medical spa I went to charged $50 extra for the dental block. I got one the first time but did not the second time. It was very painful without it and to me felt like a thousand bee stings at once and all I had the second time was some ice on my lips to numb them a little before. But it was so worth it and even though it hurt terribly I would and will do it again. Right after my BA revision... need to give my DH time to get over the expense of this first
The Following User Says Thank You to DixieDiva For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2010, 08:19 PM

Kody32 is on a distinguished road
I just had my lips done again and did not get the dental block this time. Personally the pain was the same with the dental block as without it. With the dental block it just felt like the inside of my mouth was numb, but not my actual lips. It is very painful but not unbearable. I wont get the dental block anymore, I think it just makes me more swollen. The cost is the same with or without it at the Dr. I go to. If the pain is the same, I figure the less stuff injected in me the better lol
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kody32 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2010, 11:03 PM

pinkfeet is on a distinguished road
I was never charged for numbing but I don't get it. It swelled me up massively and wasnt worth it ..the pain of the block to me is worse than the actual lip injections and the swelling and bumps are horrid not the nice swelling of the filler.. once was enough and never again.

But I was never charged and unfort, its not any cheaper to say no to the numb. lol

pinkfeet's plastic surgeon is Christopher Pelletiere, MD
VISIT WEBSITE
DOCTOR PROFILE
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pinkfeet For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2010, 08:00 PM

1hipchick is on a distinguished road
I got one vial of juviderm and it was around $450. That included the block if I wanted it (I did). I love the look and it's lasted for over 2 months now. My dermatologist said it should last 12-18 months (yeah right), but I'll be really happy if it last at least 6 months before I notice a change.

I really could use 2 vials (I want REALLY plump lips) but can't imagine spending almost $1k for something that's not permanent. Has anyone looked into lip implants? I'd love to do it, I'm just scared to bits...
Old 02-21-2010, 07:21 PM

stargazer will become famous soon enough
So the dental block is different from local anesthesia like lidocaine, right? Is lidocaine commonly given to numb lips before injections, or just a topical cream or ice or something if you don't do the dental block? Because from what I'm hearing here, the pain and swelling from the dental block doesn't seem worth it, but I think I would want some numbing!
Old 02-21-2010, 08:40 PM
mprs

mprs will become famous soon enough
I got my lips done once, and it was such a horrid experience, I don't know if I would ever do it again. It was sooooooo painful! Maybe it was the dental block that affected me. I was so swollen and black and blue terribly for week, and it took a week and a half to even be able to cover the purple/black and blue marks with make-up!

Did this ever happen to anyone here?? Maybe I just picked the wrong doctor!
Old 02-21-2010, 09:08 PM

justright will become famous soon enough justright will become famous soon enough
A dental block is typically just like what a dentist would do, inject inside your mouth near the nerves.

A local block is injecting the lidocaine into the lips themselves.

FYI: often the reason the swelling is so bad after a dental or local block is that they often mix the lidcaine with sodium bicarbonate (to take the sting of the lido away) and that binds with water and you SWELL!!! Sometimes that can last for more than a week!!!! Being an injector, I skip the bicarbonate and just do my dental or locals VERY SLOWLY and it's tolerable.

I have lip implants. Was tired of injecting myself so I had one of my docs put in the PermaSil facial implants. If I didn't tell anyone I had them no one would know. I keep my work conservative though.
Old 02-21-2010, 09:11 PM

LouisVLover is on a distinguished road
i've had my lips done about 3 times, all with a dental block. the first time i had to go in the bathroom becuz i thought i was gonna thow up it was so painful!!! I never got black and blue tho just a little swelling. Juvaderm just came out with a new one that has lidocaine in it so it numbs you with the first poke. I love the way they look but for me the fullness only last a month or so and its so expensive!!!
Old 02-22-2010, 12:22 PM
1000cc YAY! Thanks to all my JBI sisters for support!

Genie will become famous soon enough
I had the dental block & got 1 full syringe of Juve Ultra Plus. My PS didn't ask if I wanted a dental block, he just did it. The dental block hurt like absolute hell. Thank God I was lying down or I may have passed out! It felt like a huge needle being inserted all the way into my lip to my gum line. Felt terrible. My lips were pretty swollen for a few days from the dental block and I had a small bruise on my lower lip. But, it's been 6 months since I had them done & they still look phenomenal. I'm actually going back soon to get another full syringe added. But, I'm def gonna ask him about some topical anesthetic instead. Def not worth it!
Old 02-25-2010, 09:20 AM

Just a warning - the topical does not block all the pain. A lot of the pain from lip injections is the pressure of the gel being injected into the lips.

As for the dental - if the doc injects VERY SLOWLY, they are not as painful. Thing is, most docs are not patient and forget that the person they are injecting is alive and awake!!!! They are NOT the most gentle when it comes to these things!!! (I don't let my own docs inject on me!! Too painful!)
Old 02-25-2010, 10:50 AM
1000cc YAY! Thanks to all my JBI sisters for support!

Genie will become famous soon enough
I just had my lips re-injected today with another syringe of juve ultra plus to my lips and a tad on the laugh lines right on the corner of my mouth. I asked beforehand if I could just get the topical anesthetic instead of the dental block and the nurse pretty much told me that I def didn't want to do that cause the topical doesn't help at all with the pain. So I went with the dental block. It actually wasn't as bad as the first time I got injections. I think I really want to look into lip implants bc I'm loving having these big lips!
Old 02-25-2010, 11:31 AM
mprs

mprs will become famous soon enough
Genie, I would love to see before and after pictures. Maybe we should post that kind of stuff too since we are discussing it! Enjoy those lips!!!
Old 06-13-2010, 02:55 PM

CocoaKate is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by justright View Post
Being an injector, I skip the bicarbonate and just do my dental or locals VERY SLOWLY and it's tolerable.

justright, where in Texas are you?
Old 06-15-2010, 04:33 PM

Outside of Austin
Old 06-27-2010, 07:02 PM
Fancift

FanciFt is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by justright View Post
Outside of Austin
Your avatar...are those your real lips?
Old 07-01-2010, 09:28 PM

Yes they are.
Old 07-28-2010, 02:35 AM

plastic_girl is on a distinguished road
Ouch!
Don't remind me of this

When the lady injected inside my lips I felt a little funny ball under and I freaked out!
She said it will go away and it did but after like 8 hours.
It just not worth it at all!

Next time I'll do a little ice and thats set.

What keeps me wondering is that even with the dental block, I still felt the pain when she injected the fillers!