Go Back   Just Breast Implants Forum Other Plastic Surgery Procedures & Cosmetic Dentistry

|
Forgot Username/Password?
Forum Home Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Other Plastic Surgery Procedures & Cosmetic Dentistry Use this forum to discuss plastic surgery procedures OTHER than breast augmentation. Examples include tummy tucks, lip augmentation, Botox, liposuction, laser resurfacing, etc.

Like Tree3Likes

Mole Removal...I'm scared!

Reply Subscribe
Old 03-14-2013, 09:17 AM
Just Do It ;)

little_bit is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Mole Removal...I'm scared!

Ugh, I hate even talking about it, but I have questions. Have any of you had a mole removed by a PS or a dermatologist?

Moles unfortunately run in my family, and I have a large one on my left shoulder blade that I've had since I can remember. I went to a dermatologist 2 years ago to see about having him remove it, but I feel like his method would have left a big ugly scar. (He also admitted that it would). My PS I saw last week said he could remove it and it'll leave just a linear scar which I feel much better about. Plus he'll still send it into a pathologist to have it checked.

Have any of you had a bad experience with scarring or did it heal it nicely? I don't want a scar, but the mole is worse I have other small ones on my torso and arms as well. I'm so insecure about them It's to the point where I don't even want to wear a bikini around friends, but the one on my back is the worst one.

Also, how bad did it hurt to have it removed? Similar to a bee sting or worse?
Old 03-14-2013, 11:26 AM
go big or go home

littleee is on a distinguished road
I have had 8 moles removed. 2 of them on my back scarred very bad and one on my leg scarred bad but all the others (arm, hand and neck are barely noticeable). It doesn't hurt because they use a numbing shot. The shot stings a little but it is nothing to stress about and there is no pain after.
The Following User Says Thank You to littleee For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2013, 01:08 PM
Just Do It ;)

Originally Posted by littleee View Post
I have had 8 moles removed. 2 of them on my back scarred very bad and one on my leg scarred bad but all the others (arm, hand and neck are barely noticeable). It doesn't hurt because they use a numbing shot. The shot stings a little but it is nothing to stress about and there is no pain after.
Did you use a dermatologist or a PS? Also, which way did they remove the ones on your back? I know the skin is thick back there, which doesn't help anything. My PS wants to cut it and stitch it up nicely (hopefully). Sorry for all of the questions.
Old 03-14-2013, 01:57 PM

cricket007 will become famous soon enough
I had 3 moles removed by my PS last month. He shaved mine off. He first injected the sites with numbing agent. The shots stung, but I didn't feel pain with the shaving; maybe some discomfort. I had one on my right cleavage area, one on my left clavicle, and one on my right lower abdomen. They were sent off and came back as normal. You cant even see where the top ones were at and my bottom one is just a little dark spot. I have been putting silicone gel on them.

Ms.Bubbies likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to cricket007 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2013, 02:01 PM
Jugs a' Poppin'

AprilLily491 is on a distinguished road
When I had my BA I had 3 moles removed from my face by my PS. They gavee mee numbing shots that weren't too bad but I could feel the pinching, cutting, and tugging...it hurt more afterwards when it was stitched up. The scarring so far just looks like acne scars, but I have to use dermatix ultra 2x a day plus suncreen every single time I'm going outside because otherwise they can turn red and stay that way. Overall, if you can get implants the mole removal will be nothing. However, they will be required to send it to a lab to test for cancer and that was an additional 300 charge for me which I didn't get a bill for until 5 weeks later. I have insurance which covered half otherwise it would've been about 600.
The Following User Says Thank You to AprilLily491 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2013, 03:03 PM
go big or go home

littleee is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by little_bit View Post
Did you use a dermatologist or a PS? Also, which way did they remove the ones on your back? I know the skin is thick back there, which doesn't help anything. My PS wants to cut it and stitch it up nicely (hopefully). Sorry for all of the questions.
I used a PS. He numbed it and then cut it out with a scalpel and he used dissolvable stitches. I got 2 cut within a couple centimeters from each other so it looks like I got bit, I tell people it is a werewolf bite ha.

little_bit likes this.
Old 03-14-2013, 03:26 PM
Just Do It ;)

Originally Posted by AprilLily491 View Post
When I had my BA I had 3 moles removed from my face by my PS. They gavee mee numbing shots that weren't too bad but I could feel the pinching, cutting, and tugging...it hurt more afterwards when it was stitched up. The scarring so far just looks like acne scars, but I have to use dermatix ultra 2x a day plus suncreen every single time I'm going outside because otherwise they can turn red and stay that way. Overall, if you can get implants the mole removal will be nothing. However, they will be required to send it to a lab to test for cancer and that was an additional 300 charge for me which I didn't get a bill for until 5 weeks later. I have insurance which covered half otherwise it would've been about 600.
I had my BA quoted with 3 moles removed as well. I didn't want to be awake for my large mole. I'm a chicken, haha. They're going to charge me $450 for the three moles, plus however much the pathologist will charge me.
Old 03-14-2013, 03:44 PM

Ms.Bubbies is on a distinguished road
I had a big mole removed on my back bc they were worried about it. I think you will be fine going to a PS I went to my dermatologist who is very well known in philly area I did end up with a decent size scar (which you would have never expected was a removed mole) but Id rather it all be removed no reason to be self conscious. I doubt you'll be worried about that when you'll have fabulous looking bubbies!
The Following User Says Thank You to Ms.Bubbies For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2013, 08:08 PM

LouisVLover is on a distinguished road
I've had about 8-10 removed and all have left a bad scar... Perhaps worse than the mole. The ones on my back are the worse my derm cut them out and stitched them out and those are the worse scars I tell people I have a shark bite scar on my back. I've also had some removed without stitches and they were pink for about 8 months then left a white scar. IMO I'd leave the mole alone, I too am very self conscious abouth them and have a bunch
The Following User Says Thank You to LouisVLover For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2013, 09:11 PM
~ Still Daydreaming ~

Day Dreamer is on a distinguished road
I have 2 on my back that my ps said needed to be removed but I'm like you and to chicken lol.....its going on a year since my boobs and my ps saying that and I've kept a close eye on them and thankfully the one that changed hasn't changed since so I'm not getting in the tanning bed for the first time in 3 years this summer ....just not worth it to me . Good luck If you do have them removed and keep us updated

little_bit likes this.
Old 03-14-2013, 10:17 PM

Kat. will become famous soon enough
I have had two moles removed. My insurance covered all the cost because a dermatologist said they needed to be removed and tested. I have a bunch more that I'm currently watching to see if they change.

The first one I had removed was on my hand. I was referred to a PS to have it removed. The pain is not bad. They will inject lidocaine first and that does sting. After that you will just feel a tugging sensation as they cut it out and put in the stitches. I had three stitches for quite a small mole. The PS used a kind of stitch where there is just a little knot on either side of the incision. When I went to have them removed the nurse could not get them out because they had been done so tight. She dug around in my hand for about 20 minutes with the scissors and it definitely hurt. I do have a noticeable scar. It's about 3/4 of an inch long and a few millimeters wide. It was only supposed to be a line, but they tend to widen a bit over time. The scar is lighter than the rest of my skin and a different texture. I also have 3 little dots on either side from the stitches.

The second one I had removed was on my arm near my elbow. I went to a PS that time too. I showed him my last scar and he said he could make it look nicer. I made sure to request different stitches that time. I ended up just taking them out myself because I didn't want to bother going back to the doctor. My scar is slightly shorter, but doesn't look any better. In some spots it's the same light colour with shiny texture, but some spots are still red. Hopefully that will go away with time. It is just as wide as the last one and also has lines going across where the stitches were.

Personally, I probably wouldn't have a mole removed for aesthetic reasons unless it really bothers you or you have no problems with scarring. I think my scars look worse than the moles did.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kat. For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2013, 04:14 AM

MISS-ELLE is on a distinguished road
I had a mole on my neck removed by my GP - big mistake. He cut it out in a hurry and i have a scar. I have 3 on my face that are very noticeable and im getting the cosmetic surgeon who did my boobs to remove them in 2 weeks. They are going to be shaved down and lasered off. Im super nervous, being my face!
Old 07-22-2013, 10:37 AM
Just Do It ;)

Originally Posted by MISS-ELLE View Post
I had a mole on my neck removed by my GP - big mistake. He cut it out in a hurry and i have a scar. I have 3 on my face that are very noticeable and im getting the cosmetic surgeon who did my boobs to remove them in 2 weeks. They are going to be shaved down and lasered off. Im super nervous, being my face!
I've seen some amazing results for mole removal on faces. The skin is much different on your face, and heals much nicer than thicker skin on different areas of the body. Good luck, I bet you will look amazing! I ended up having the mole on my back removed and another on my torso during my BA and they have healed quite nicely. Much better than having a big ugly mole!
Old 07-22-2013, 12:09 PM

HappyGirl07 is on a distinguished road
I have quite a few moles I want to remove, they run in my family too, but specifically two that I am thinking of having my PS remove during my BA. There is one just under my bust and one on my lower abdomen. I asked his nurse about it and she said it's better to do it at my post op visit because time in the OR is more expensive. Did your PS remove them during your BA? How much did that cost you?
Old 07-24-2013, 11:56 AM
Just Do It ;)

Originally Posted by HappyGirl07 View Post
I have quite a few moles I want to remove, they run in my family too, but specifically two that I am thinking of having my PS remove during my BA. There is one just under my bust and one on my lower abdomen. I asked his nurse about it and she said it's better to do it at my post op visit because time in the OR is more expensive. Did your PS remove them during your BA? How much did that cost you?
Yes mine were removed during my BA. The 2 PS's I consulted with prior told me no to getting my moles removed during my BA. My PS told me I could do what I wanted since I'm the one paying for it anyways. Since I was only "under" for an extra 15 minutes or so they didn't charge me extra anesthesia fees (thank goodness). The cost of sending them to the lab (pathologist) was $825.00 for 3 moles. That is without any health care coverage.

The one on my back was so large I did not want to be awake for that! I'm sure with my 2 other little moles I would have been able to deal with it ok while awake, but it still grosses me out! Good luck to you!
Old 07-24-2013, 12:01 PM

Mudd331 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by littleee View Post
My husband had a skin tag removed 2 weeks ago by the dermatologist. It was the size of a pencil eraser in his arm pit. It healed up nicely, wouldn't even know it was there.
Old 08-01-2013, 12:13 PM

MischiefManaged is on a distinguished road
I had my GP remove 2 large moles (about the size of a dime and the other a nickle) and 2 small ones. I had 1 each on my leg nad arm. The small ones left tiny scars, while the large ones I have very noticable and large scars. It didnt' help that the stitches split on my arm when I went to pick something up and the GP didn't want to stitch it back up because by then It was pretty healed....still the scar is terrible. Regardless I would take the scar over the moles any day.
Old 08-02-2013, 10:26 PM

MISS-ELLE is on a distinguished road
i got a mole removed from my face today. It was a far more pleasant experience seeing a surgeon compared to when i saw my gp. I had an injection to numb the area then he shaved the mole down and then used a laser on it. Less than 10 mins later i had a bandage put on and was paying $330 for the privilege. It was pain free and in 9 days they bandage comes off to reveal brand new soft skin. I will never again get one cut out!
Old 08-02-2013, 10:58 PM

jtabb is on a distinguished road
I've had 2 moles removed for testing. The first by my GP was a "punch" type where where she dug around and cut it out (in my upper arm). It was painful b/c she had to keep giving me lidocaine shots which are like little bee stings. It left a scar which looked worse than the original mole. Over time (2 yrs now) it has improved a bit, partly b/c I started exercising a year ago and the stretching actually helps scarring heal (or so my derm said).

My 2nd was up in my inner thigh. I used a derm this time (thank goodness). It was basically painless and very fast (shaved it). However, it is still pretty visible and bright red/ugly. It's been 7 months and sadly it was out for all to see this summer/bikini season.

Neither ended up being cancer and if I could have kept them I would have!
Old 08-02-2013, 11:28 PM

Houtx is on a distinguished road
I have a fairly large mole over my right rib cage. I don't think I really have to announce it since its totally visible in my avatar. lol I used to hate it while growing up but now I kinda like it. I have started to get worried about it being cancerous since it has grown larger throughout the years but I don't think I want it removed. I read on the news that there is this new machine that can scan them to tell whether the mole is cancerous or not. Has anybody heard of that or had that done?
Reply Subscribe