Go Back   Just Breast Implants Forum Other Plastic Surgery Procedures & Cosmetic Dentistry

|
Forgot Username/Password?
Forum Home Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Other Plastic Surgery Procedures & Cosmetic Dentistry Use this forum to discuss plastic surgery procedures OTHER than breast augmentation. Examples include tummy tucks, lip augmentation, Botox, liposuction, laser resurfacing, etc.

Dark skin on upper lip due to hormones

Old 07-26-2017, 09:20 PM

Mommasnewboobs is on a distinguished road
Dark skin on upper lip due to hormones

When I became prego with my son over 2yrs ago my upper lip changed to a darker pigment and makes me look like I have a 5clock shadow. Anyone else have this? Did you bleach or laser? I'm going to be setting up a consultation with an estitichian to go over option but would love to hear others exoeriences
Old 07-27-2017, 12:40 AM

PettyThief is on a distinguished road
I have melasma (hyperpigmentation) on my cheeks and forehead from hormonal birth control and it's the bane of my life. I've been reluctant to laser as I've heard some reports that laser can actually exacerbate the problem and the last thing I went is to pay a fortune for the treatment and then have worse dark marks than before. What I can recommend, and it's fairly affordable, is the Eucerin Even Brighter skincare range, if that's available where you are. That's definitely lightened mine significantly. The other thing you have to do is wear sunscreen religiously (which I'm sure you do).
Old 07-27-2017, 02:51 AM

Daisee is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Mommasnewboobs View Post
When I became prego with my son over 2yrs ago my upper lip changed to a darker pigment and makes me look like I have a 5clock shadow. Anyone else have this? Did you bleach or laser? I'm going to be setting up a consultation with an estitichian to go over option but would love to hear others exoeriences
I've used obagi nuderm with hydroquinone for hyperpigmentation. It works, but it's expensive and takes awhile to work. I did find out recently that the original creator (Zein Obagi) sold the obagi line and created a new one called ZO Pharmaceuticals that is supposed to have better products for your skin. I was told that when he partnered with some companies they wouldn't let him make changes to the original obagi formula so he created the new one so he could customize it. I haven't tried it yet though. Same principle though and also made to target hyperpigmentation.

I'm currently using rodan and fields redefine line and I feel like even though it's not the specific formula for hyperpigmentation, I see a lot of my freckles and sunspots fading. I think it's because of all the sunscreen and retinols in the product. I can't say for sure but my skin is definitely brighter. (And no, I don't sell it.). Good luck! I've always wanted to try laser, but was told that it can cause scarring due to my skin type. (Asian/Pacific Islander)

Definitely stay out of the sun and slather on sunscreen anytime you leave the house!
Old 07-27-2017, 03:21 AM
Got good mileage out of 175cc!

littlelizzie will become famous soon enough littlelizzie will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by PettyThief View Post
I have melasma (hyperpigmentation) on my cheeks and forehead from hormonal birth control and it's the bane of my life. I've been reluctant to laser as I've heard some reports that laser can actually exacerbate the problem and the last thing I went is to pay a fortune for the treatment and then have worse dark marks than before. What I can recommend, and it's fairly affordable, is the Eucerin Even Brighter skincare range, if that's available where you are. That's definitely lightened mine significantly. The other thing you have to do is wear sunscreen religiously (which I'm sure you do).
I had this too, when I was taking the combined pill. When I switched to the mini pill, it went away.

If it's hormone-related, I imagine there is a limit to what you can do to it topically (like acne, you know?). Although good to hear you're having some success with the Eucerin range, Petty Thief

Mommasnewboobs - have you considered a hormone test with your doctor?
Old 07-27-2017, 12:55 PM

Mommasnewboobs is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by littlelizzie View Post
I had this too, when I was taking the combined pill. When I switched to the mini pill, it went away.

If it's hormone-related, I imagine there is a limit to what you can do to it topically (like acne, you know?). Although good to hear you're having some success with the Eucerin range, Petty Thief

Mommasnewboobs - have you considered a hormone test with your doctor?

No, my doctor had said it would just go away with time after the birth of my son. He's now 15months and there hasn't been any change
Old 07-27-2017, 08:08 PM
Got good mileage out of 175cc!

littlelizzie will become famous soon enough littlelizzie will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Mommasnewboobs View Post
No, my doctor had said it would just go away with time after the birth of my son. He's now 15months and there hasn't been any change
Bummer. Sounds like a bit of a fob-off to me... not sure where abouts in the world you are, but I can well imagine that response from a GP back in the UK (my homeland).

According to Dr Google, adrenal fatigue/high levels of cortisol can be to blame.

Personally, a hormone test would be my first port of call.. treat the cause, not the symptoms

Hope you can find something that works, Mommasnewboobs!