Go Back   Just Breast Implants Forum Surgical Travel

|
Forgot Username/Password?
Forum Home Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Surgical Travel This forum is for discussing traveling for surgery.

Like Tree8Likes
  • 5 Post By brandy76
  • 1 Post By brandy76
  • 2 Post By NormaJeane

Traveling Tips...

Old 10-22-2013, 02:53 PM

brandy76 is on a distinguished road
Traveling Tips...

Tips for travelling to get surgery. I'm 4 days post op of a redo where I travelled out of state
  1. Make sure you have someone with you, especially on day of surgery. A hospital won't relaease you into a taxi by yourself. *Whn I had surgery in a doctors office I was able to go in a taxi by myself. Some doctors offer a service for an add'l fee to have someone take you & pick you up from surgery
  2. Get hotel that's close to your doctors office, and not the hospital where you're having surgery.
  3. It's cheaper to rent a car. my preop taxi to/from doctors office was $80 round trip, then factor in I had to spend that amount again on follow-up visit totaling $160 just in taxi's
  4. Make sure your hotel has room service pref. 24hours, a frridge and a microwave. *My room didn't come with a microwave, but upon arrival I asked the front desk if I can have one and they just charged me $10per day for it!
  5. Stock up on essential items like gallon jug waters the day before and open all of them so you don't have to put pressure on yourself twisting them after surgery
  6. Other food items tuna packets, rice cakes, wraps, all things that will keep well and easy to nibble on.
  7. Get all you prescriptions filled back home and bring with you. One less thing to worry about.
  8. Get a hotel that's near a lot of stores. By the 3rd day I was def ready to go out to eat.
  9. Do not pack anything but loose clothing - and remember if you are traveling by yourself you're going to have to carry that bag back home which will seem 100 times heavier. I had to ship my luggage back by UPS instead of taking it home with me ($40)
[/LIST][/LIST]

VISIT WEBSITE
DOCTOR PROFILE
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to brandy76 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2013, 07:32 PM

musiclovemakeup is on a distinguished road
How long did you stay in the hotel?
Old 10-22-2013, 08:05 PM
I <3 boobs

Cupcake85 is a jewel in the rough Cupcake85 is a jewel in the rough Cupcake85 is a jewel in the rough Cupcake85 is a jewel in the rough
Thanks for the tips.

If I travel interstate for surgery we will hire a car because we will have our baby with us and it will just make it easier to set up the car seat rather than have to set it up in each taxi.

Also why do you say get the hotel near the surgeon's office and not the hospital? Just asking because the interstate surgeon I'm almost decided on says to get the hotel near the hospital.
Old 10-22-2013, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by musiclovemakeup View Post
How long did you stay in the hotel?
I stayed for5 days

VISIT WEBSITE
DOCTOR PROFILE
Old 10-22-2013, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by Cupcake85 View Post
Thanks for the tips.

If I travel interstate for surgery we will hire a car because we will have our baby with us and it will just make it easier to set up the car seat rather than have to set it up in each taxi.

Also why do you say get the hotel near the surgeon's office and not the hospital? Just asking because the interstate surgeon I'm almost decided on says to get the hotel near the hospital.
Because ur only at the surgical center once. You can be at the doctors office minimum of 2 times pre/post op and for any other issues u may want to discuss w dr

Cupcake85 likes this.

VISIT WEBSITE
DOCTOR PROFILE
The Following User Says Thank You to brandy76 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2013, 10:09 PM

Again is on a distinguished road
Thanks! I'll be traveling for mine and it's good advice!

Again's plastic surgeon is Tom Pousti, M.D.
VISIT WEBSITE
DOCTOR PROFILE
Old 10-22-2013, 11:34 PM

NormaJeane is on a distinguished road
I would like to add a few things to traveling tips, when you're traveling alone.
1. When you get your meds, write on the bottles in thick black marker the hours you're supposed to take them and also which ones they are, i.e. painkiller, antibiotic, etc. Also set the alarms on your cell for each med. And as a final tip also write them out on a piece of paper. I was so out of it the first 24 hours that it was good I did this because I never would have woken up without my cell alarms going off.
2. I considered renting a car because I knew it would end up costing me more when I factored in the trip from the airport and back and forth to my PS's office. However after my surgery there is no way I could have driven to my followup or to the airport. I was there for 6 days but my chest was so tight and my arms so stiff it would have been extremely difficult. And then taking the shuttle from the car rental place to the airport terminal would have been tough.
3. Luggage you are definitely right about. I brought a very small rolling suitcase and had my laptop in it too. I planned to carry it on the plane on my way home (ask someone to put it in the overhead) but the overhead compartments got overfilled and they took my bag when boarding. So when I arrived at the gate I was in such pain trying to carry my laptop and my oversized handbag in my arms. If I had the roller suitcase it would have been okayn because I could have leaned on it and just pushed it along. Ugh it was terrible. So don't even bring your laptop if you have a smartphone with you.
4. Another thing about meds. I was unable to get a Rx for the painkiller until I saw my PS at my preop. Then I had to walk 15 minutes to the nearest pharmacy from the hotel to have it filled. I also did some shopping for misc. snack foods and drinks. So it is a good idea to pick a hotel that's near to a strip mall.
5. Find a hotel that has a free breakfast. I was unable to go out on my own those six days, but I was able to hobble downstairs on the third day to stock up on fruit, muffins, and yogurts, and also enjoy a hot breakfast. It was a pleasant change from the snack foods I had purchased.

juliagoolia and brandy76 like this.

VISIT WEBSITE
DOCTOR PROFILE
The Following User Says Thank You to NormaJeane For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2013, 04:18 AM

Originally Posted by NormaJeane View Post
I would like to add a few things to traveling tips, when you're traveling alone.
5. Find a hotel that has a free breakfast. I was unable to go out on my own those six days, but I was able to hobble downstairs on the third day to stock up on fruit, muffins, and yogurts, and also enjoy a hot breakfast. It was a pleasant change from the snack foods I had purchased.
So true with this point. My hotel offered a free hot breakfast every morning and it was nice getting dressed to go down and eat. a different change of scenerry helped mentally of not going crazy just sitting in the hotel room.

VISIT WEBSITE
DOCTOR PROFILE
Old 10-23-2013, 05:24 AM

WantingABA! will become famous soon enough
Take DH to boss around and don't forget to eat........the appetite loss is insane! For me, I'm not finding I need anything special except someone to haul my ginormous handbag around!
Old 10-23-2013, 05:34 AM

masa300 is on a distinguished road
Hi
Just wanted to know if it was OK to travel with airplane immediately after operation, or even couple of days after?
Thanks for your tips.
Old 10-23-2013, 05:39 AM

WantingABA! will become famous soon enough
I'll be at slightly over 24 hours and my PS is fine with airplane travel, but make sure you ask your PS for his take.
Old 05-25-2014, 11:06 PM

barbieluv is on a distinguished road
Thank you for this. Good advice
Old 02-03-2017, 03:23 PM

barbieluv is on a distinguished road
which hotel did you go with?
The Following User Says Thank You to barbieluv For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2017, 09:43 AM

Wander_Lust is on a distinguished road
Oh man, thanks for the advice. I didn't even THINK about the luggage thing.
Old 05-15-2018, 11:03 PM

575undergirl is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by masa300 View Post
Hi
Just wanted to know if it was OK to travel with airplane immediately after operation, or even couple of days after?
Thanks for your tips.
I flew in on a Friday for my pre op, shopped all weekend, went in at 4 pm on Monday for my surgery, then back Tuesday at 8 am for my post op, and flew home right after at 11 am. I checked with my Dr prior to booking surgery, different Drís may have different restrictions. If you have to have a lift they may require you to stay a bit longer to monitor your progress a little closer.