Go Back   Just Breast Implants Forum Surgical Travel

|
Forgot Username/Password?
Forum Home Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Surgical Travel This forum is for discussing traveling for surgery.

Thailand by myself

Old 08-20-2018, 05:01 PM

Kittens1988 is on a distinguished road
Thailand by myself

Hi there!
I will be traveling around south east Asia (digital nomad style) for the next year or two and have been contemplating getting a boob job while in Thailand! Know a few people whoíve done this and turned out great. Would like to have it done in the beginning of my travels, to be able to heal/enjoy them as soon as possible. My concerns, however:
- my visa will expire 2 weeks after the surgery. Will I be able to move by myself at that time? I have a 15kg suitcase and a 5kg small backpack.
- I then plan to stay 1 month in the next location before moving again. I am ok with being somewhat immobile for the first 8 weeks, but will I be very limited after this time? Or would I be able to enjoy regular things like excercise and beach (without swimming. I donít care about swimming anyway )
- is it completely nuts to stay in a hotel room by myself for 2 weeks after surgery? If I make sure to prepare meals and stuff beforehand..
Tips from anyone who have done this would be much appreciated!
Old 08-20-2018, 05:09 PM
I type what I'd say to you over highly caffeinated coffee

BooBitties is a glorious beacon of light BooBitties is a glorious beacon of light BooBitties is a glorious beacon of light BooBitties is a glorious beacon of light BooBitties is a glorious beacon of light BooBitties is a glorious beacon of light
Most surgeons will not release you without having a caregiver. Do you plan on arranging a nurse or the like for early post op care?
Old 08-20-2018, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by BooBitties View Post
Most surgeons will not release you without having a caregiver. Do you plan on arranging a nurse or the like for early post op care?
No they havenít suggested anything like that. How does that work?
Old 08-21-2018, 06:55 AM
I type what I'd say to you over highly caffeinated coffee

BooBitties is a glorious beacon of light BooBitties is a glorious beacon of light BooBitties is a glorious beacon of light BooBitties is a glorious beacon of light BooBitties is a glorious beacon of light BooBitties is a glorious beacon of light
I'm not 100% sure, I had my BA 30 min from my house and my husband helped me out for a few days. If you search "Thailand" you can find quite a few posts on it. Here's one thread I found, it's from 2014 though: https://www.justbreastimplants.com/f...ba-themselves/
Old 08-21-2018, 11:07 AM

Lennev is a jewel in the rough Lennev is a jewel in the rough Lennev is a jewel in the rough Lennev is a jewel in the rough
Having traveled in Thailand myself several times, I wouldn't even consider doing the BA at the beginning of the trip. Ugh... that sounds like a nightmare! If you're having under the muscle you will almost undoubtedly be in unbelievable pain for 3-5 days. Wearing a backpack will be uncomfortable not to mention not advisable for weeks. Tolerating the heat/humidity will be rough for several days post op and may even make you lightheaded. "Overdoing it" without help can lead to complications such as hematomas, delayed wound healing, etc... Depending on where you're going in Thailand, crowds can be vicious. I was elbowed, bumped, and shoved in Bangkok and Chang Mai numerous times. Imagine if someone accidentally hit your boob or incisions! Yikes. Although, not all areas of Thailand are busy and crazy like that. Phuket was chill and less populated.

To be clear, I had my BA in the states. Not in Thailand. I just have tons of experience traveling throughout Asia. If I was recovering at the beginning of my trip I would have been absolutely miserable. I wasn't feeling 90% back to myself until about 5 weeks post. Can you take a friend to help out and wait until the last week or so to do the BA?
Old 08-22-2018, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by Lennev View Post
Having traveled in Thailand myself several times, I wouldn't even consider doing the BA at the beginning of the trip. Ugh... that sounds like a nightmare! If you're having under the muscle you will almost undoubtedly be in unbelievable pain for 3-5 days. Wearing a backpack will be uncomfortable not to mention not advisable for weeks. Tolerating the heat/humidity will be rough for several days post op and may even make you lightheaded. "Overdoing it" without help can lead to complications such as hematomas, delayed wound healing, etc... Depending on where you're going in Thailand, crowds can be vicious. I was elbowed, bumped, and shoved in Bangkok and Chang Mai numerous times. Imagine if someone accidentally hit your boob or incisions! Yikes. Although, not all areas of Thailand are busy and crazy like that. Phuket was chill and less populated.

To be clear, I had my BA in the states. Not in Thailand. I just have tons of experience traveling throughout Asia. If I was recovering at the beginning of my trip I would have been absolutely miserable. I wasn't feeling 90% back to myself until about 5 weeks post. Can you take a friend to help out and wait until the last week or so to do the BA?
Hi Lennev,

Thanks for your reply! I have traveled a lot in Thailand too. The place I stay in Phuket is close to the hospital and pretty chill. I know a few people there (not enough to help with surgery stuff tho).. But its not busy like Bangkok etc. I'm thinking I could maybe pay to stay a few more days in the hospital.

Looked into the visa thing, and would be able to extend so I can stay for 4-6 weeks after surgery, before I travel anywhere by myself (dragging suitcase etc.). So it would be surgery, then 4-5 weeks close to the hospital, then travel and 4ish weeks somewhere else, recovering.
I will be working online and won't have to move around that much.. As long as it only slows me down a few months I would be OK with that.. but if we're talking half a year, its another story. Would I be able to carry the small backpack at week 6?

I could wait until the end of my trip, but since it might be a few years, I'd rather get it "overwith" in the beginning.. Unless there's a risk its gonna screw up my entire time there.. hmm.. I really dont know
Old 08-22-2018, 05:36 PM

puggle is on a distinguished road
Things do sometimes go wrong. Even if itís unlikely, I think itís a good idea to carefully consider plausible worst-case outcomes and at least be willing to accept them. So, eg, how bad would it be if you did get stuck for a couple extra weeks, or if you had a hard time carrying your luggage for the rest of the trip? If you can work around that, thatís one thing. If itís not an acceptable outcome, thatís another.

Of course, you also have to be reasonable- after all, the literal worst case scenario when crossing a street is pretty awful... But if you take as a given that youíre going to have surgery at some point, you can focus on outcomes that are different between your options.
Old 08-23-2018, 10:50 AM

Lennev is a jewel in the rough Lennev is a jewel in the rough Lennev is a jewel in the rough Lennev is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Kittens1988 View Post
Hi Lennev,

Thanks for your reply! I have traveled a lot in Thailand too. The place I stay in Phuket is close to the hospital and pretty chill. I know a few people there (not enough to help with surgery stuff tho).. But its not busy like Bangkok etc. I'm thinking I could maybe pay to stay a few more days in the hospital.

Looked into the visa thing, and would be able to extend so I can stay for 4-6 weeks after surgery, before I travel anywhere by myself (dragging suitcase etc.). So it would be surgery, then 4-5 weeks close to the hospital, then travel and 4ish weeks somewhere else, recovering.
I will be working online and won't have to move around that much.. As long as it only slows me down a few months I would be OK with that.. but if we're talking half a year, its another story. Would I be able to carry the small backpack at week 6?

I could wait until the end of my trip, but since it might be a few years, I'd rather get it "overwith" in the beginning.. Unless there's a risk its gonna screw up my entire time there.. hmm.. I really dont know
Oooooh perfect! Like I said before, I actually think Phuket would be a nice place to recover! Very chill. Gorgeous. The idea of staying with medical care is a good one. You will need help and pain meds with EVERYTHING for those first days. Generally speaking the bigger you go, the more painful. You'll need help with your first few showers, almost anything that requires arm movement, even sitting up from a laying down position, going to bathroom (pulling pants up and down) etc for a minimum of 3 days. I needed help for about two weeks realistically, but I honestly don't even think I could have survived the first 3 days without it, bare minimum. lol By 6 weeks you should be feeling good enough to get on with your plans for the most part. Oh, I forgot to mention, if you're going over the muscle this advice changes drastically... I've seen people back to normal activities within 24 hours of overs.
Old 08-23-2018, 11:05 AM

Oh, and as someone else mentioned above, I think it's super smart to play out all the "what ifs" in your mind... if you develop a complication, what does that look like and how does it affect you? If you end up with a serious infection, are you super confident in the medical care you will receive there? If you get put on extended weight restriction, are you prepared to ditch half your luggage? If you have a hematoma or fluid in the pocket and get told you can't travel, what then?

Obviously, you don't want to worry yourself silly but you do want to be prepared and realistic. The reality is, complications do happen and it can be extra inconvenient when they happen overseas. Make sure you're planning leaves room for potential hiccups.

Most importantly, have a great trip!