Go Back   Just Breast Implants Forum Women's Beauty, Health, and Fitness

|
Forgot Username/Password?
Forum Home Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Women's Beauty, Health, and Fitness Use this forum to discuss beauty products, hair care, diets, fitness, etc.

Athletes who've had hernia repairs

Old 10-23-2013, 09:20 AM

meimproved is on a distinguished road
Athletes who've had hernia repairs

Any heavy lifters out there who've bounced back (or not) from a hernia repair ?? I'm getting an umbilical hernia repaired in a week and would love some advice, words of wisdom, and to hear what some of you have experienced when returning to the gym (not just cardio)...Hoping I won't lose too much muscle during my down time but I'm realistic. I know it'll be a while before I'm squatting heavy/using my core again
Old 10-23-2013, 09:37 AM
JSC

JSC is on a distinguished road
Right here! <raising hand>

I had a MAJOR hernia repair (mine was umbilical as well) last year in June. I was supposed to get it fixed in January and cancelled cuz I didnt want to "take time off the gym". STUPID!!!!! So I got to sit on my ass for TWO MONTHS during bikini season.

Its not that bad pain wise. Your abs will be sore for a while but I snapped right back. No weights for TWO MONTHS. And no squats or deadlifts for at least another month or two after that.

You wont lose much muscle. You will be surprised how fast you will bounce back. Muscle memory is a great thing. Your strength will come back quickly. Promise. Its very important to recover and not lift too soon because of the risk of tearing that sucker open again. Then its a 12 week recovery.

Best of luck... its not fun. Been there, done that.
The Following User Says Thank You to JSC For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2013, 05:25 PM

redhead48 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by meimproved View Post
Any heavy lifters out there who've bounced back (or not) from a hernia repair ?? I'm getting an umbilical hernia repaired in a week and would love some advice, words of wisdom, and to hear what some of you have experienced when returning to the gym (not just cardio)...Hoping I won't lose too much muscle during my down time but I'm realistic. I know it'll be a while before I'm squatting heavy/using my core again
I had a femoral hernia repair in January at the same time I had my first BA. I am a heavy lifter and was able to resume some lifting after about 4 weeks. I started back to light cardio after 2 weeks. My PS is pretty lenient when it comes to resuming exercise. Some PS will tell you 6 - 8 weeks or more. I was pretty much back to my pre-surgery max by 8 weeks. Trust me, you won't lose too much. I had to have a revision in September and bounced right back. I have had 4 abdominal surgeries and honestly the hernia repair was the easiest so far. Of course, umbilical repair may be different. Good luck to you!
The Following User Says Thank You to redhead48 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2013, 06:04 PM
BFH
My name is babyfromheaven and I am a bra-aholic.

BFH has much to be proud of BFH has much to be proud of BFH has much to be proud of BFH has much to be proud of BFH has much to be proud of BFH has much to be proud of BFH has much to be proud of BFH has much to be proud of BFH has much to be proud of
I had a hiatal hernia repair right after high school. It turned out to be a more major surgery then I expected. I put it off for a while, and because of some of the problems it caused I was run down, tired, and underweight before my surgery. My hernia was a diaphragm and stomach issue, so I was down and not working out for several months. Nothing that could increase pressure on my diaphragm or increase my respiration. I turned into a teenage slacker and waited a year to start any kind of lifting. Go with your surgeon's directions and your body's voice. You'll know what you can and can't do. If you question doing it, don't.

BFH's plastic surgeon is Don R. Revis, Jr., M.D, F.A.C.S
VISIT WEBSITE
DOCTOR PROFILE
The Following User Says Thank You to BFH For This Useful Post: