Go Back   Just Breast Implants Forum Women's Beauty, Health, and Fitness

|
Forgot Username/Password?
Forum Home Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Women's Beauty, Health, and Fitness Use this forum to discuss beauty products, hair care, diets, fitness, etc.

Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By grnfox
  • 2 Post By grnfox
  • 2 Post By grnfox

4 teeth need to be pulled!

Old 10-04-2017, 08:01 PM

crazycatlady4 is on a distinguished road
4 teeth need to be pulled!

Just found out I have to get 4 teeth pulled on October 18th!!! Everyone say a prayer for me becaue I'm extremely nervous and don't want anything to go wrong! I have heard/read horror stories! Anyone want to share their experience? 2 of the teeth that need to be pulled are wisdom teeth 😳
Old 10-04-2017, 08:07 PM
Fantastic Mrs. Fox

grnfox is a glorious beacon of light grnfox is a glorious beacon of light grnfox is a glorious beacon of light grnfox is a glorious beacon of light grnfox is a glorious beacon of light grnfox is a glorious beacon of light
Have you spoken to your dentist about your options for sedation to help with anxiety? As a dentist who extracts teeth every single day, I can tell you that if you are being treated by someone who has a lot of experience with extractions, then there is really no reason to worry. 99% of extractions are straightforward and quick. I find the biggest challenge for patients is typically anxiety, which can be managed quite easily by a variety of different modalities. Are you seeing a general dentist or an oral surgeon?

BooBitties and Linaki like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to grnfox For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2017, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by grnfox View Post
Have you spoken to your dentist about your options for sedation to help with anxiety? As a dentist who extracts teeth every single day, I can tell you that if you are being treated by someone who has a lot of experience with extractions, then there is really no reason to worry. 99% of extractions are straightforward and quick. I find the biggest challenge for patients is typically anxiety, which can be managed quite easily by a variety of different modalities. Are you seeing a general dentist or an oral surgeon?
I went to see my normal dentist because I had tooth pain and thought I may need a root canal. Turns out I need to just pull the tooth (wisdom tooth) along with the tooth in front of it, on both upper sides of my mouth. My dentist does not do extractions...at least not that kind...so he referred me to an oral surgeon. Thank you so much for your reply. For what I am getting, do you normally have to go completely under anesthesia? The dentist who referred me said it wouldnít be like that, just gas or something...idk!!!
Old 10-05-2017, 06:12 PM
Fantastic Mrs. Fox

grnfox is a glorious beacon of light grnfox is a glorious beacon of light grnfox is a glorious beacon of light grnfox is a glorious beacon of light grnfox is a glorious beacon of light grnfox is a glorious beacon of light
Upper wisdom teeth, if they are erupted, are some of the most easy teeth to extract. It's great that you are going to an oral surgeon...I think you will be surprised at how easy, quick, and painless the entire procedure is. Most people get these these teeth extracted with just local anesthetic (numbing medicine) and nothing else. Sometimes a light oral sedative, like valium, can be used to help decrease anxiety. Nitrous oxide ("gas") can also be used to help with anxiety. It also has amnesic properties so often times, patients remember very little of the procedure. Plus, a patient quickly returns to their normal state once the nitrous is turned off. This is an advantage over an oral sedative, which would require someone else to accompany you to the procedure in order to drive you home. General anesthesia is usually an option at an oral surgeon's office, but that is typically reserved for children, implicated wisdom teeth, and people who have extraordinarily high levels of dental anxiety. While it would certainly be an option for you, it sounds like an oral sedative or nitrous oxide would serve you well.

Good luck and let us know how it goes! Do you have a consult with the oral surgeon first to discuss your worries or will you first appointment be the treatment appointment?

Old 10-05-2017, 07:21 PM

Upper wisdom teeth, if they are erupted, are some of the most easy teeth to extract. It's great that you are going to an oral surgeon...I think you will be surprised at how easy, quick, and painless the entire procedure is. Most people get these these teeth extracted with just local anesthetic (numbing medicine) and nothing else. Sometimes a light oral sedative, like valium, can be used to help decrease anxiety. Nitrous oxide ("gas") can also be used to help with anxiety. It also has amnesic properties so often times, patients remember very little of the procedure. Plus, a patient quickly returns to their normal state once the nitrous is turned off. This is an advantage over an oral sedative, which would require someone else to accompany you to the procedure in order to drive you home. General anesthesia is usually an option at an oral surgeon's office, but that is typically reserved for children, implicated wisdom teeth, and people who have extraordinarily high levels of dental anxiety. While it would certainly be an option for you, it sounds like an oral sedative or nitrous oxide would serve you well.

Good luck and let us know how it goes! Do you have a consult with the oral surgeon first to discuss your worries or will you first appointment be the treatment appointment?
They told me to have someone drive me...so does that mean they are putting me completely under? I donít have a pre op appointment...Iím just scheduled at 10am on the 18th!! Thank you so much for talking to me. Itís definitely helped ease some anxiety.
Old 10-05-2017, 07:41 PM
Fantastic Mrs. Fox

I’d call the office soon and inquire as to what your sedation options are ahead of time...just to ease some of the stress of the unknown. I always tell patients to bring a driver even if there is no plans for sedation so that may not be an indication of what their treatment plan entails.

You’ll be fine
Old 10-05-2017, 08:06 PM

Magentaqueen is on a distinguished road
I had 2 impacted wisdoms removed and by far those seemed to be the easier of extractions. I had some valium and some gas. I went home and aside being tired from the valium I took some motrin went to bed and had a fairly easy recovery. I have a sister who loves to tell of horror stories of her teeth being removed and when she found out I was going, she let it all out. I told her I will be fine, everyone is different and I am not going to let you freak me out. She meant well but when I told her after how easy it was she couldn't believe it and was expecting the worse. Go into this as calmly as you can and try not to expect the worse. I am so happy there is a dentist on board here that has been speaking with you and easing your anxiety.
Good luck you will be ok!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Magentaqueen For This Useful Post:
Old 10-07-2017, 02:03 PM

One more question I have an extremely high pain tolerance, and quite frankly can’t afford to have general anesthesia at this time. Am I okay to request local anesthesia? Or do I pretty much have no choice? Especially since this was such short notice and they require payment in full up front...it’s just wayyyy too pricey.

Also, my two wisdom teeth that are getting pulled have broken through my gums. Idk if that information helps.
Old 10-07-2017, 05:38 PM
Fantastic Mrs. Fox

Local anesthesia should be fine for what you are describing...a majority of patients who get teeth extracted (even multiple teeth and wisdom teeth) only get local anesthetic. You’ll get several injections in your mouth ( on both sides) and you’ll be very numb during the procedure and for several hours following it. You may feel pressure sensations during the extraction but that’s about it. When the procedure is over, you will likely be given a prescription for some short term pain medication. You may have sutures placed depending on what kind of extractions you receive. Typical healing time is about two weeks. Be sure to follow the oral surgeon’s post-operative instructions very carefully and if you are a smoker, it is imperative you not smoke for at least a few days following the extractions.