Go Back   Just Breast Implants Forum Women's Beauty, Health, and Fitness

|
Forgot Username/Password?
Forum Home Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Women's Beauty, Health, and Fitness Use this forum to discuss beauty products, hair care, diets, fitness, etc.

no 'poo

Old 11-29-2009, 11:38 PM
two years out...

josalie is on a distinguished road
no 'poo

hey yall... its been a while. i just wanted to share something- ive started this "no 'poo" thing (no shampoo hair care) and it is quite possibly the best thing ive ever done for my hair. i have really fine, staright hair, and it usually gets greasy and i need to wash it daily. ive gone down to washing it every other day, but it still gets greasy at the roots. ive been a week now with washing my hair with baking soda and doing an apple cider vinegar rinse for conditioner (http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Go-No-Poo/ for better instructions) and ive done the "wash" twice, and my hair feels and looks amazing, has no weird smell... im so glad i did this. so, if youre at wits end with your hair or are willing to try something different, give it a go

random. but i had to share.
The Following User Says Thank You to josalie For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2009, 10:08 AM

justright will become famous soon enough justright will become famous soon enough
I do the same thing. I will pair the baking soda with a little bit of a gentle clarifying shampoo so it's easier to spread around my scalp. For conditioner I only apply one to the ends of my hair. I'll have to try the apple cider vinegar instead though!!!

Thanks for sharing!!!
Old 12-01-2009, 08:16 PM

expatbrat is on a distinguished road
I'm poo free as well I have naturaly curly hair and I found since I quit the shampoo my hair has been less fizzy and my scalp isn't dry at all. My siggy pic is after having my hair coloured and dried straight. It takes the stylist at least an hour to dry my hair and straighten it. I wish I had the patience to do it like that everyday because I like straight hair on me much better! Sorry for the ramble!!
Old 12-01-2009, 10:57 PM
two years out...

how long have you been no poo? im wondering if i go to the salon and they shampoo/condition it itll go back to being annoying for a while...?
Old 12-02-2009, 12:38 AM

expatbrat is on a distinguished road
Ive been like this for 2 years! I don't have any problem after being at the salon! I think I would have to go right back to washing my hair regularly before I would have problems again.
Old 12-02-2009, 12:55 AM
Resident Snowboarder

fashnvictm is on a distinguished road
interesting...i've never heard of this. I'm gonna give it a try!
Old 12-02-2009, 03:43 PM
Hello!

fashion101 is on a distinguished road
I'm gonna give it a try tonight!
Old 12-02-2009, 04:42 PM
Resident Snowboarder

fashnvictm is on a distinguished road
ok...I did it. I hate it! My hair feels either greasy or like it has a film on it. it's dull and lifeless. What did I do wrong? I followed the directions on the link perfectly! I'm so sad.
Old 12-02-2009, 09:22 PM

justright will become famous soon enough justright will become famous soon enough
Hmm, greasy hair after a wash with baking soda and rinse with apple cider vinegar?????? I mix my baking soda with a tiny amount of mild clarifying shampoo to spread it around on my scalp easier. I also use my nails to really scrub my scalp and work it in. After I rinse I used the apple cider vinegar -undiluted (first time last night) and my hair felt AMAZING!!!! So clean and soft. I let it air dry and WASN'T frizzy like it ends up looking after a normal 'poo.

Try mixing 1-2 tsp of baking soda with a gentle shampoo and see if that helps. I sprayed undiluted apple cider vinegar on my wet hair (ends) and let it sit for a bit then rinsed. It really worked out well!!!

I've done the baking soda thing for almost a year now and it's not done anything to my color or dried my hair out........
Old 12-02-2009, 09:44 PM

HockeyBabe17 is a jewel in the rough HockeyBabe17 is a jewel in the rough HockeyBabe17 is a jewel in the rough
I do this too! The crap in shampoo was destroying my hair, it seems so much healthier since I stopped using it.. which is weird, because who would've thought baking soda could have so many great uses lol I use it as a teeth whitener too!
Old 12-03-2009, 02:18 AM
Much to be Thankful for :)

Dare is a name known to all Dare is a name known to all Dare is a name known to all Dare is a name known to all Dare is a name known to all Dare is a name known to all
Question

I'm intrigued! So...does the apple cider vinegar rinse work well as a detangler? 'Cause I can see that being my problem. I need a good conditioner on the lower half of my hair or I'd end up breaking ends off, KWIM?
Old 12-03-2009, 05:04 AM

Pixie* is on a distinguished road
oh so pleased i read this....thought from the title it was potty issues lmao.

so i need summin for my horrid boof ball that is damaged from humid weather and straightning the sh!t out of it..... will check the link and not offer info for to try laxitives lol xx
Old 12-04-2009, 06:13 AM

Katyaelena is on a distinguished road
I'm confused, on that website it says the goal is to eventually not use anything to wash your hair at all... even to not use baking soda???

I use apple cider vinegar in my hair already but I use it as a clarifier with my shampoo so idk if it would work as a conditioner?

My hair is really long & wavy and fairly damaged on the ends and I use alot of deep conditioner so the idea of just baking soda & ACV kinda scares me.

Has anyone tried this with hair like mine (long/wavy/coarse)???
Old 12-13-2009, 04:45 AM

1hipchick is on a distinguished road
I bleach my hair so unfortunately it's pretty battle worn. I also need to use heavy conditioners to give it moisture. Do you know if it would work for bleached hair as well?

I'd like to try the baking soda wash, but think I would really need another conditioner on top of it. I've used virgin coconut oil in the past, maybe I could try that?
Old 12-13-2009, 05:17 PM
two years out...

it by no means makes it as easy to brush as a good thick conditioner... but its working for me. i read something somewhere about using coconut oil as a conditioner and leaving it on overnight, coconut oil is one of the very few oils that can actually penetrate hair and make a difference.....
Old 12-13-2009, 08:34 PM

1hipchick is on a distinguished road
Well, today I tried just washing with conditioner, then using a deep condition for 5+ minutes, followed by a apple cider vinegar rinse (I forgot about the baking soda until I was already showering). Did I do this correctly?

It actually looked about the same, which isn't a bad thing really, I was worried it would be greasy, frizzy, fried, etc. I usually only wash my hair 3x per week, so we'll have to see how it progresses...