Go Back   Just Breast Implants Forum Women's Beauty, Health, and Fitness

|
Forgot Username/Password?
Forum Home Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Women's Beauty, Health, and Fitness Use this forum to discuss beauty products, hair care, diets, fitness, etc.

Tanning

Reply Subscribe
Old 01-17-2010, 02:48 PM

timeforchange is on a distinguished road
Tanning

What do you do at home to maintain a decent tan? I wish I could go the tanning bed route but it is simply out of the question for me. My dermatologist says absolutely not!

But, I'm trying to find out which products are the best to tan at home? There is everything from a tan towel to some product that looks like pudding. I am literally see thru...super super pale skinned.

Suggestions?

TIA!
Old 01-17-2010, 03:03 PM

zen33 is on a distinguished road
Jergen's tinted lotion, can't think of the name of it. It's the bomb.
The Following User Says Thank You to zen33 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2010, 03:11 PM

HalloweenBaby is on a distinguished road
I know this is not in the home, but what about Mystic Tan? (Spray tan) many tanning places have them and you could go once ever 2 weeks and keep a pretty good looking "tan". I used to do it (I am a redhead and it is hard to tan via sun or beds).
The Following User Says Thank You to HalloweenBaby For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2010, 04:20 PM

maryber is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by zen33 View Post
Jergen's tinted lotion, can't think of the name of it. It's the bomb.
it IS the bomb!!! use it!! i mix it with a little regular lotion and it works great and lasts longer.
The Following User Says Thank You to maryber For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2010, 07:52 PM

luvmyboobs2 is on a distinguished road
I like Dove gradual tanning products. Really good coloring not orange. It smells good too.
The Following User Says Thank You to luvmyboobs2 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2010, 08:00 PM

blondespa is on a distinguished road
Fake Bake is definately one of the best tanning products...no DHA (cancer causing) either in their new formula. Or Keyano Organic tan is nice also.

VISIT WEBSITE
DOCTOR PROFILE
The Following User Says Thank You to blondespa For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2010, 08:06 PM
what's that ouchie lumpy bumpy?

neednewones will become famous soon enough
Neostrata has one that is amazing. It is green when it comes out of the bottle but it is so natural and never orange on
The Following User Says Thank You to neednewones For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2010, 08:34 PM

HockeyBabe17 is a jewel in the rough HockeyBabe17 is a jewel in the rough HockeyBabe17 is a jewel in the rough
I have a tanning bed, so that's what I do at home LOL but I've used self tanners as well and the best (IMO) were Fake Bake (can be expensive though), Neostrata and for a drugstore one, L'Oreal Sublime Bronze (tinted version)!
The Following User Says Thank You to HockeyBabe17 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2010, 05:12 AM

kariev34 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by blondespa View Post
Fake Bake is definately one of the best tanning products...no DHA (cancer causing) either in their new formula. Or Keyano Organic tan is nice also.
DHA causes cancer???? I haven't heard that yet but it is a chemical so i guess if one is constantly using it it could be harmful even if the FDA has approved it. We can't win for trying to be healthy can we
The Following User Says Thank You to kariev34 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2010, 08:14 AM

blondespa is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by kariev34 View Post
DHA causes cancer???? I haven't heard that yet but it is a chemical so i guess if one is constantly using it it could be harmful even if the FDA has approved it. We can't win for trying to be healthy can we
Kariev you made me curious about DHA. I have a correction I was posting according to what someone said to me. DHA is Non-toxic!

VISIT WEBSITE
DOCTOR PROFILE
The Following User Says Thank You to blondespa For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2010, 08:52 AM

erinhasboobs is on a distinguished road
Do you guys put anything over your scars when you spray tan? I am only 20 days out and afraid of getting an infection or something from it!
Old 01-18-2010, 08:59 AM

Horizon41 will become famous soon enough
I do use the beds some,but I am a fake tan lover LOL love jergens the best to me its great for giving you a natural glow and not orange but I love versa spa as well to me the negative with a fake tan is the way it comes off uneven or you will have white hands and tan arms but I still use it mostly for I know at my age of 47 I am not going to bake in beds non stop but I do get a base tan in the spring if I can. But I wear sunscreen on my face
The Following User Says Thank You to Horizon41 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2010, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by Horizon41 View Post
I do use the beds some,but I am a fake tan lover LOL love jergens the best to me its great for giving you a natural glow and not orange but I love versa spa as well to me the negative with a fake tan is the way it comes off uneven or you will have white hands and tan arms but I still use it mostly for I know at my age of 47 I am not going to bake in beds non stop but I do get a base tan in the spring if I can. But I wear sunscreen on my face
Yeah, I'm going to get the Fake Bake lotion and use Jergen's for my daily body lotion. As you can see in my avatar...I'm pale as pale can be! I've already had to have weird moles, etc. cut off by my dermatologist, hence my caution. The cause? Driving my car with the sunroof open!

I wonder if there is a way I could do a tanning bed for very very short increments to build a base tan without causing too much damage? Hell, I have to hide cellulite one way or another, lol!

Speaking of which, I can't believe the crap us women have to deal with. I could literally lose 20lbs and all of my cellulite would still be there! Depressing.
Old 01-18-2010, 04:19 PM

LMarie is on a distinguished road
I personally really like L'Oreal Sublime Bronze Luminous Bronzer and its gotten really good reviews -it's my favorite that I've tried so far. They have it as a lotion and they also have these body wipes to make the application really easy! I get a really natural, brownish looking tan from it...no orange! Or you can try Sun Laboratories. I've used the Dark Sunsation lotion and it actually smells great, unlike most sunless tanners and it gave me a nice natural looking tan.

Links to both:

http://www.walgreens.com/store/catal...sku=sku4172955

http://www.shimmerskincare.com/sun-l...05ea067ae78731
The Following User Says Thank You to LMarie For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2010, 04:49 PM

lovelyrose25 is on a distinguished road
Talking Gotta Love The stuff in a Can

Gotta love the stuff in a can or umm... Plastic container #1 choice St. Tropez you look like a mud mummy for atleast 4-6hrs but the tan is fantastic #2 Fake Bake..nice color #3 Neutrogena spray or the foam which they discontinued the foam... however i find that the spray is just as even and lovely i also like Guerlain bronzers and for the pharmacy such as CVSi like a bronzer by Rimmel multicolor bronzer in glow...if your going to fakebake it use a great scrub like a St. Ives scrub before hand and never ever shave the day of using a fake tan always the day before or the day after hope it helps
The Following User Says Thank You to lovelyrose25 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2010, 04:50 PM

oxosurfangeloxo is on a distinguished road
Self Tanner

My fave self tanner is L'orel's Sublime Bronze GLOW - it comes in a spray. Its good for the whitest of the white (like me!) that tend to look orange in anything else. It dries super fast and is really light, no streaks - the only downfall is that it takes a few applications before you really notice it start to show. But it's totally worth it!!
The Following User Says Thank You to oxosurfangeloxo For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2010, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by oxosurfangeloxo View Post
My fave self tanner is L'orel's Sublime Bronze GLOW - it comes in a spray. Its good for the whitest of the white (like me!) that tend to look orange in anything else. It dries super fast and is really light, no streaks - the only downfall is that it takes a few applications before you really notice it start to show. But it's totally worth it!!
That's what I use now! I admit it is good but it makes my skin pretty orangey I was so embarrassed yesterday because I was like a leopard...spotty! Lol.
Old 01-18-2010, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by lovelyrose25 View Post
Gotta love the stuff in a can or umm... Plastic container #1 choice St. Tropez you look like a mud mummy for atleast 4-6hrs but the tan is fantastic #2 Fake Bake..nice color #3 Neutrogena spray or the foam which they discontinued the foam... however i find that the spray is just as even and lovely i also like Guerlain bronzers and for the pharmacy such as CVSi like a bronzer by Rimmel multicolor bronzer in glow...if your going to fakebake it use a great scrub like a St. Ives scrub before hand and never ever shave the day of using a fake tan always the day before or the day after hope it helps
Oh, awesome! I honestly had no idea you weren't supposed to shave the day of application! So, exfoliation is key, got it! Thanks so much for educating me I'll be sure to pick up a nice bronzer for my face because I don't plan on putting self-tanners on it. Looking like an umpa loompa is not part of my game plan
Old 01-18-2010, 07:02 PM

kariev34 is on a distinguished road
i still always go back to famous daves sunless tanner. it barely has a smell, dries instantly and the color is a beautiful light brown. it doesn't rub off on your clothes. i'm really trying to stay out of the sun but its really hard. i tend to get super annoyed with the sunless but i've been sticking to wearing an spf of 30 while outdoors so thats a start
Old 01-24-2010, 11:20 AM

lizwantsboobs is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by timeforchange View Post
What do you do at home to maintain a decent tan? I wish I could go the tanning bed route but it is simply out of the question for me. My dermatologist says absolutely not!

But, I'm trying to find out which products are the best to tan at home? There is everything from a tan towel to some product that looks like pudding. I am literally see thru...super super pale skinned.

Suggestions?

TIA!
I worked at a tanning salon for 2 years while I was in school and absolutely loved the Versa Spa (the updated version of Mystic Tan). I decided about a year ago to switch from tanning beds to spray tans because of the health risks, and I got sick of the two white spots on my shoulders and the one above my butt, haha. Most tanning salons offer packages to do the spray tan once a week or even an unlimited number of times for somewhere between $40-70 per month. That can sound like a lot of money at first but if you're buying $10 bottles of Jergens and going through 3 or 4 per month and having to apply it EVERYDAY rather than just spray tanning once a week, to me its worth it.

If you want to go with the lotion route, the one with the best color is definitely Fake Bake. Its a pain in the ass to apply because its super thick (makes it hard to rub in) and turns the bottom of your hands orange until you scrub them raw with soap.

I've also discovered 2 great self tanners from Bath & Body Works. One is in a spray can called "True Blue® Spa Solar Power All-Angle Professional Airbrush Tan" ($15) that is very easy to spray on, and as long as you rub it in with circular motions you don't streak. The other is a lotion called "True Blue® Spa
Shade to Order Select-a-Shade Gradual Tanning Body Lotion" ($18.50) that lets you pick which shade of color you want to use so you can start with "light" and each day progress to "dark". You just do so by turning a knob at the top of the bottle to pick which shade you want.

All of the lotion self tanners do stink up your bed though, so you end up having to febreze or wash your sheets at least every other day.

Hope this helped!! And if you have any questions about spray tanning, let me know. Working at that salon for so long made me an expert on all things tanning, haha.

VISIT WEBSITE
DOCTOR PROFILE
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lizwantsboobs For This Useful Post:
Reply Subscribe