Go Back   Just Breast Implants Forum Women's Beauty, Health, and Fitness

|
Forgot Username/Password?
Forum Home Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Women's Beauty, Health, and Fitness Use this forum to discuss beauty products, hair care, diets, fitness, etc.

How to stop your nails flaking and chipping...

Old 02-13-2010, 11:57 AM

orika is on a distinguished road
How to stop your nails flaking and chipping...

I have to share this with you all because it has changed my life (okay, I might be over-dramatising it a little...!) even though it was such a SIMPLE thing, I can't believe I never did it before! And maybe it'll help one of you out there!

I used to have incredibly weak and soft nails that were always flaking off at the ends and chipping. It drove me crazy. I tried all of the treatments out there for painting onto nails to fix them and nothing worked. NOTHING.

And then I finally realised I should be treating my cuticles and nailbed, not the nail itself.

Duh, right?

Fast forward 18 months and my nails are so freakin strong and grow so fast, I am actually sick of having to file them all the time! (Okay, secretly I love it...)

I wish I could go back in time and tell my young self to figure this out earlier!

I use Sally Hansen's Cuticle Care moisturiser religiously, every 1-2 days, plus every now and then I use some oil and an orange stick to keep the cuticle skin itself in check.

Just in case someone out there has soft weak nails and hasn't tried this yet - please do!! You could probably even use a normal intensive moisturiser and get the same effects!

- O x
The Following User Says Thank You to orika For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2010, 11:59 AM

Jacinda is on a distinguished road
or you can save money and rub vitamin E or olive oil on your nails and cuticles.
Old 02-14-2010, 02:52 AM

orika is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Jacinda View Post
or you can save money and rub vitamin E or olive oil on your nails and cuticles.
hehe, I don't think my bottle of olive oil will fit in my handbag! LOL
Old 02-14-2010, 04:40 PM

femme246 is on a distinguished road
I know it sounds wierd but when my hands get really dry I sleep in latex gloves with vasaline or lotion in the glove. It makes them sooooo soft and when you take them off in the morning, you can push your cuticles right back!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to femme246 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2010, 06:10 PM
Enjoy life for the fullest. It has an expiration date.

Slinky has much to be proud of Slinky has much to be proud of Slinky has much to be proud of Slinky has much to be proud of Slinky has much to be proud of Slinky has much to be proud of Slinky has much to be proud of Slinky has much to be proud of Slinky has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by femme246 View Post
I know it sounds wierd but when my hands get really dry I sleep in latex gloves with vasaline or lotion in the glove. It makes them sooooo soft and when you take them off in the morning, you can push your cuticles right back!
Not weird at all! I do the same thing when my hands get dry. It really helps!

Slinky
Old 02-15-2010, 12:24 PM

cocobella58 is on a distinguished road
Smile I have always had the same trouble

I have always had the same problem so I think I will try one or more of your suggestion to see if I can work a little miracle with my nails I hope so because I would love to not have to get the false nails any more they seem to do more damage than good.
Thanks Girls!!!
Old 02-16-2010, 09:16 PM

mommyauglift is on a distinguished road
Sally Hansen products are really good - I use the hand softener cream and it is truly amazing
Old 07-09-2010, 05:34 PM

WaxwingSlain is on a distinguished road
I've had a huge problem with flaking and also very dry cuticles. The Body Shop's Almond Cuticle Balm is FANTASTIC! I've been using it for years. Give it 10 minutes after applying, and it looks like you just had a manicure.

I hope they never stop making it!
Old 07-09-2010, 07:05 PM

Jetison will become famous soon enough
hey just so u know, ANY oil will do this. It just keeps the cuticle (and more importantly, the root) moisturized! If I have nothing, I go to the kitchen and use a little olive oil. I agree, when I was young my nails were weak too, now that I've done my manicure courses, I feel like they should teach you this stuff in sex ed at grade 4 lol