Go Back   Just Breast Implants Forum Women's Beauty, Health, and Fitness

|
Forgot Username/Password?
Forum Home Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Women's Beauty, Health, and Fitness Use this forum to discuss beauty products, hair care, diets, fitness, etc.

What beauty rituals do you do yourself vs going to a pro?

Old 05-29-2010, 11:47 AM

stargazer will become famous soon enough
Smile What beauty rituals do you do yourself vs going to a pro?

I am always looking for ways to save money, so a lot of beauty-related things I try to do myself, but there are some things I think it's best to go to a pro for. Just curious what you ladies do:
  • hair color/highlighting- about 50/50, sometimes I do myself, sometimes I go to a salon
  • manicures/pedicures- I have always done myself, I have actually only had one manicure in my life, never had a pedicure. This actually is what made me think of this post, my nails/feet look terrible and I'm considering getting a mani/pedi this weekend.
  • eyebrows- I do myself. I had them done once and admittedly they looked a lot better, but I still usually do them myself. I also wax my upper lip myself.
  • bikini wax- this is one thing that I think is a must to go to a pro. I tried to do it myself once and NEVER AGAIN! Hurt so bad and didn't even get most of the hairs out, I was left with a sticky mess.
  • hair cutting- obviously go to the salon, as do most of you I guess, but I do occasionally trim my bangs myself and they turn out ok.
  • facials/skin care- I do myself but have thought about going to a salon. I usually just do a basic face wash and moisturizer but have done home microdermabrasion and light chemical peels (very light, since they are OTC) with pretty good results, but I'm sure a pro would be better.
Anything else? I like to DIY when I can but some things you just can't. I wish I could go to a salon for everything but I think I would quickly be broke if I did!
Old 05-29-2010, 12:41 PM

Kioh is on a distinguished road
Hair: I do same with the 50/50, sometimes I go to the salon to get coloured and trimmed, but sometimes if I'm lazy (or short on cash) I'll just do it at home.

Wax: I tried this for the first time, just on the legs, and was impressed with how easy it was, annoyed with how messy it was, and would be one of those things that I would treat myself with every once in awhile. Never tried bikini wax, don't think I'm brave enough to ever try that one at home.

Nails: I get done professionally, cuz nail polish only lasts a day on me when I do at home. I'm pretty rough on my nails, so acrylic holds up better.

Facials: I do at home with decent results. I'm sure a pro would be better but I don't have the time or money to be worrying about that.

So that's about it on my own regime. Not very glamorous but it works for me! =)
The Following User Says Thank You to Kioh For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2010, 12:48 PM

Lascivious is on a distinguished road
Hair: I go to a salon to get it cut and dyed. My hair is wayyy too thick and long, there's never enough in the box dye!

Nails: I have acrylics, so I can't really do that myself.

Waxing: never done it before, but I just shave :/ haha

Eyebrows: I do myself, I've had them done professionally before but I actually like them better when I do them. I hated my eyebrows for the longest time, but I've finally figured out how to shape them. Now I really like them

Facials: never had a facial, honestly don't do very much for my face. I put lotion on every day, just because my face gets a little bit dry. I also wash it with a moisturizing face wash but that's about it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lascivious For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2010, 06:00 AM

moly is on a distinguished road
Hair- I colour myself but cut at hairdressers

wax- I wax my lip myself and usually a bikini wax but if I want a Brazilian I'll get a pro lol, legs n armpits I shave unless there's a special occasion, like my BA
I pluck my eyebrows myself

facials- don't get em done usually just a mud mask at home

nails- can't wear acrylics cus of my job so just have em neatly trimmed no polish either
The Following User Says Thank You to moly For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2010, 01:04 PM

blackviolet has a spectacular aura blackviolet has a spectacular aura blackviolet has a spectacular aura
I really don't go to a professional for anything. I'd like to go for a wax at some point, but I'm cheap, so I just shave. Everything else, I do myself.
The Following User Says Thank You to blackviolet For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2010, 04:17 PM
Fancift

FanciFt is on a distinguished road
[LIST]
[*]hair color/highlighting- I have a BFF/Beautician that has been doing my hair for the past 15 years. (SHE is also my Trainer) I pay her for everything her normal rates
[*]manicures/pedicures- I get my nails filled and pedicures done every two weeks.
[*]eyebrows- get them done the same time I get my fills and pedicures
[*]bikini wax: I had a brazilian laser and also my under arms. Now I go in every three months for touch up if I need it. NO SHAVING
[*]hair cutting- Same BFF
[*]facials/skin care- Seldom do fascial, don't like them. But I get all my fascial products from my Plastic Surgeon that did my BL/BA. Prior to the BL/BA I got my products from a different Plastic Surgeon, the place I got my laser done.
The Following User Says Thank You to FanciFt For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2010, 06:14 PM

ooh, I would love to have laser hair removal! That might be my next big thing.

I tried to give myself a french manicure yesterday and it smudged all over the place. Add that to the list of things that I should leave to a professional!
Old 05-30-2010, 06:17 PM
Fancift

FanciFt is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by stargazer View Post
ooh, I would love to have laser hair removal! That might be my next big thing.

I tried to give myself a french manicure yesterday and it smudged all over the place. Add that to the list of things that I should leave to a professional!

My laser for both was 750 for 5 sessions, then i paid 50-75 for the following. My BA Dr, charges 1999.00 for lifetime laser, I am thinking I want to do that one....but I will have to calculate, cause I know I only go back every 3 months for touch up and i cost me 50.00-75.00
The Following User Says Thank You to FanciFt For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2010, 10:36 AM

pinklove is on a distinguished road
About the only thing I do at home is hair color.
I use Redken shades eq and its amazing...anyone that uses dark hair color I would recommend this. You can get it on ebay for about 9.00 and it leaves your hair so glossy and pretty. Its a stain so it doesnt damage your hair.
The Following User Says Thank You to pinklove For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2010, 11:20 AM

Jetison will become famous soon enough
hair color/highlighting- I never ever do this myself!! First of all I have such thick hair that it would take me FOREVER and second, my hairdresser told me once that box dye is made with metallics, and eventually your hair will start to break under the weight of it. Plus my hair is thick, coarse, curly, dry and frizzy haha so i would never get the look right on my own!!

manicures/pedicures- I do this myself, but I'm kind of cheating, since I am a nail tech haha but if I wasn't, i'd still do it myself. My only suggestion is NOT to use those "at home acrylic" sets from drug stores. Great idea in theory, but they don't look that nice, and the product is super cheap and will actually eat away at your natural nail!! (yikes)

eyebrows- I do myself. I went to a professional once and she TOTALLY screwed them up!! I was sooooo mad and vowed to never go to someone again!! I also have done my waxing course, but in all honesty, I think those at home kits with the strips that have wax on them already aren't that bad. I used them on my legs for years. They just hurt a bit more.

bikini wax- if you aren't trained, I agree go to a pro!! I do my own, but I would never sugget someone who doesn't know what they are doing try it. So many little tips I learned in the course, and products i use, make all the difference.

hair cutting- I sometimes do a tiny bang trim, but seriously, anything over 1/8 an inch and I ALWAYS screw it up. I leave this to the pros.

facials/skin care- As far as chemical peels and microderm, i'd stick with a professional. it is more costly, but you are paying for both a garunteed good product, AND the knowledge of the employee. 2 things you can't really be garunteed anywhere else and when it comes to my face, I need a garuntee!! I do the mild face wash, and then I wipe the soap off with a rough wash cloth and it is AMAZING! Sounds to simple right? haha IT IS! I never ever break out and my skin is so glowing! If I go camping I have to bring my face cloth b/c I can't stand my face to be dull now Anyways, I use burts bees carrot day lotion, supposed to be all natural or something? I just like the feel of it and the fact that it has lasted me 2 years now and it is maybe half empty! Also, anything by arbonne I have had good luck with. It is crazy natural and hypo allergenic!

side note: did u know that a reaction to the public in testing phases is rated out of 10, and to be considered hypoallergenic by the FDA it only has to be less than 7. Everything arbonne sells gets a 0.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jetison For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2010, 11:28 AM

Oh yea, if you ever try a bikini wax at home, it is EXTREMELY painful (especially the first time, but mine is everytime) so my trick is to do small sections at a time, and pull the strip VERY fast. In fact when i go to a professional I ask her to do this too
The Following User Says Thank You to Jetison For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2010, 09:41 PM

HockeyBabe17 is a jewel in the rough HockeyBabe17 is a jewel in the rough HockeyBabe17 is a jewel in the rough
Everything! I'm quite the DYI'er
Nails - I grow them and paint on white tips when I'm feeling fancy (and I do a darn good job if I dont say so myself! haha)
Hair - I cut, color, highlight etc all at home.. I figure if I'm good at it might as well save my money
Face - I do little facials every week haha makes me feel pampered
Eyebrows - I do my own with tweezers and nail scissors
Wax - way too afraid to wax anything or get it done, I had it done *once* and it hurt so I just stick to shaving... I don't get razor burn or anything so shaving works great for me and Ill stick with it!
I even tan at home and airbrush when I feel the need to be extra dark!

Wow reading all this Im starting to wonder if I'm really just beauty savvy, or extremely cheap?!?!? ahah
The Following User Says Thank You to HockeyBabe17 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2010, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by HockeyBabe17 View Post
Wow reading all this Im starting to wonder if I'm really just beauty savvy, or extremely cheap?!?!? ahah
No, I love doing stuff myself too. It's just surprising when I do go to a salon what a difference it makes. Like my one and only manicure, I thought I did fine painting my own nails, but afterwards I was like, omg, my hands were so soft and the polish looked so good and lasted a really long time. If I was super rich I would have stuff like that done all the time, but there are things I'd rather spend my money on now so I'm mostly a DIY-er.

Oh yea, if you ever try a bikini wax at home, it is EXTREMELY painful (especially the first time, but mine is everytime) so my trick is to do small sections at a time, and pull the strip VERY fast. In fact when i go to a professional I ask her to do this too
This definitely makes a difference! I don't get bikini waxes often, but the first place I went to did the wax covered with big cloth strips and owwww! So painful! Then I started going to a place that paints on small patches of wax and pull it off by hand, and it didn't hurt nearly as much. I still wouldn't wanna try it at home though! haha.
Old 06-01-2010, 11:31 AM

haha yea, i have done the waxing course and have all professional stuff, i would never to my bikini with drug store wax... OWWW but yea, it's a big difference from small to big. i cant handle the big sections. And also i find if its a small patch, and i pull the skin really tight and pull the strip really fast, it almost doesnt hurt at all.
Old 06-03-2010, 10:46 AM

PinKLollipoP is on a distinguished road
I use to go to pros for waxing (legs & brazilian) but I learnt how to do it myself. It gets less painful and easier after awhile. You'll learn tricks after doing it a few times (ie. pulling out the skin tight really helps alot). But it aint a pretty sight if someone was to see me doing it .

As for nails, I love painting my own nails. They don't come out perfect but it'e enjoyable

DIYs are way cheap too.

But I can't do my own hair - so for that I go to a professional.
Old 06-03-2010, 01:03 PM

picksydusst82 will become famous soon enough
now that i have a baby on the way, we have really cut back on extra expenses..

-i used to have acrylics but now i just paint them- they are always painted tho. the best trick my GF told me is to USE TOP COAT! it keeps the color on way longer, and also gives them a thicker "look" of a professional manicure. i miss pedicures and will get them on occasion, but i bought one of those heel pumice scrubs and those seem to do the trick on any rough heel skin.

-i also now color my own hair, it used to have blonde highlights that cost $100+ dollars due to my long thick asian hair, so i decided to buy 2 boxes of cool brown feria and it came out nice. i probably won't dye it again but just let it be natural.

-i pluck my own eyebrows- i have never gone to a pro for this just in case it came out bad.

picksydusst82's plastic surgeon is Alan N. Larsen M.D
VISIT WEBSITE
DOCTOR PROFILE
Old 06-03-2010, 01:11 PM

Victorious* has a spectacular aura Victorious* has a spectacular aura
Waxing lip- Majority of the time I do it myself.
Nails-50/50
Pedicures-always go to someone.
I think thats all I do myself.
Old 06-05-2010, 05:44 PM

i bought some sally hansen extra strength body wax and am going to attempt to use it on my bikini area... wish me luck and i'll let you know how it goes!

VISIT WEBSITE
DOCTOR PROFILE
Old 06-05-2010, 09:48 PM

OK! so i got my DH to do the unthinkable, wax any hairs around my butt- since i may be going into labor soon, the thought of maybe being stitched up and then having hairs grow in was a painful thought for me.

i got the sally hansen extra strength body wax, and it DEFINITELY WORKS! this may be TMI, but he did 2 strips on both sides of my tooshie, and it came out great. he thought it was hilarious, me... embarrassed but glad it is gone.

i did the top of my bikini line myself, and it came out really well and didn't kill like i was expecting- do small patches and rip quick!

VISIT WEBSITE
DOCTOR PROFILE
Old 06-12-2010, 11:59 AM

BlueOrchid is on a distinguished road
I go to the pros for pretty much everything, hair, wax, nails, facials, etc!