Go Back   Just Breast Implants Forum Women's Beauty, Health, and Fitness

|
Forgot Username/Password?
Forum Home Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Women's Beauty, Health, and Fitness Use this forum to discuss beauty products, hair care, diets, fitness, etc.

Review: Jergen's Natural Glow = WEIRD.

Old 06-12-2010, 10:49 PM

Akhmatova will become famous soon enough
Review: Jergen's Natural Glow = WEIRD.

So I had a bit of a perma-tan while I was living in AZ, not intentional, it's just that constant sun really gets to you after awhile!

I naturally have pale Irish skin and I burn easily. I had never used a self tanner before and decided to try Jergen's because it looked easy enough, you just slather it on and it gradually gives you a "glow."

Now, I am kind of under the impression that different body parts of mine are made up of different components that reacted to this lotion. Basically at first I thought I liked it. I would put it equally all over my body (including my face, which maybe I wasn't supposed to do?? But it actually looked good and didn't make me break out or anything). By the middle of the week, I was feeling pretty good and thought I looked really tan and great!

Now as a background, I have always had trouble tanning from my ankles to my knees. Random, huh? I could basically slather myself with baby oil and sit out in the sun for hours and every part of my body would be burned except for that part of me. I keep thinking I should market whatever crazy thing that is in that part of my legs to sunscreen companies lol

Well, in direct sunlight, I would say that I looked all over tan. However, one day I was walking to do some work related stuff for my new job and it happened to be a very overcast foggy day. I looked down and below my knees was bright YELLOW. WTF?? But it wasn't like that on any other part of my body!! My thighs, arms, chest, neck area, face, were all a normal shade of light tan.

Over the next couple of days, I realized that in certain lights, my legs were DEFINITELY YELLOW. So embarrassing!! I have since discontinued using this product as I was mostly using it to give my legs a nice bronze, but it obviously isn't going to be working for me in that area

I know there was another thread about drug store self tanners, but I can't seem to find it. So .... any recommendations for something that might tan my crazy legs a little and not turn me orange or yellow? Not a good look - showing up do fill out paperwork at a new job and looking jaundiced in the legs LOL.

HELPPPPP!!!!!
Old 06-12-2010, 10:58 PM

pinklove is on a distinguished road
Ive used natural glow from jergens with no problem. You may have to try spray on tans. I know they are expensive but it may be the only solution if its just something about your skin.
The Following User Says Thank You to pinklove For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2010, 11:06 PM

Akhmatova will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by pinklove View Post
Ive used natural glow from jergens with no problem. You may have to try spray on tans. I know they are expensive but it may be the only solution if its just something about your skin.
I just went on epinions.com out of curiosity and for the most part, people really like it but a few recommended not using it every day because you start looking orangish or "stained," so maybe I just need to use it less often? It also smells like melting plastic LOL my husband is like wtf?!?!
Old 06-25-2010, 01:41 PM

HockeyBabe17 is a jewel in the rough HockeyBabe17 is a jewel in the rough HockeyBabe17 is a jewel in the rough
I had the same problem with that stuff! I'm super pale naturally (like I'm talking Edward freaking Cullen white), and it just turned me completely yellow all over (cause my skin's just so white there's no tint underneath the tanner to make it look beigey or tan). Everyone loves that crap, but sadly it doesn't work on me at all unless I'm already tanned naturally. I just use beds cause its the only way I don't turn a strange color. Everything I've used has made me either bright yellow or orange... I don't think they put enough DHA in regular tanning products to turn anyone brownish.

Maybe try airbrush tanning solution? Like from an actual airbrush solution company? I use 12% solution on my face (from React Cosmetics... google them for their website!) and they sell 4oz samples of their solution for like $10 or something. The reason I recommend them is because it's the only fake tanning product that turns a reddish browney color on my white face instead of weird yellow or pumpkin orange. Perhaps worth a try
The Following User Says Thank You to HockeyBabe17 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2010, 02:47 PM

marblemamma is on a distinguished road
I use Paula Begoun's brand, Paula's choice and have for years and years. You have to order online or via phone. paulaschoice.com She researches make up lines and rates them too.
The Following User Says Thank You to marblemamma For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2010, 11:09 PM
D&F'd.

sweetm will become famous soon enough
Jergen's is awesome if you have some color on you already, but if you're pale, then it will turn you yellow. Actually, I don't think its just Jergen's that does that yellow thing - some other brands do it too (Oil of Olay touch of sun).

Other than trying other brands, or building up a real tan... I have no advice. But if you do decide to tan under the sun/sunlamps, moisturize before and after the session - it really helps.
The Following User Says Thank You to sweetm For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2011, 09:20 AM

NicNac is on a distinguished road
My mom uses that stuff all the time, but in the winter when shes especially pale, shes also yellow all over. I guess it does not work of too pale skin? They should really fix that problem though
Old 03-03-2011, 06:03 AM

550ccmomof4 will become famous soon enough 550ccmomof4 will become famous soon enough
You can see how pale I am in my avatar lol. Jergens is horrid imo, makes me totally yellow. Loreal makes a few good ones(they are only seasonal here in Canada tho) They have a good one called sublime gradual.

I have tried spray on twice and they looked ridiculous on me, like so bad I didn't want to leave my house..I refuse to tan in beds at 35 so I am SOL haha

Try to get some Loreal.
The Following User Says Thank You to 550ccmomof4 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2011, 09:47 PM

wow1234 is on a distinguished road
Sephora has this brand called St Tropez I have heard nothing but good reviews on it. I have not tried it but this summer I am going to. Its a little pricy $40 for a 8oz bottle.
The Following User Says Thank You to wow1234 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2011, 05:54 PM

KC21 is on a distinguished road
The only thing that works for me is actually tanning in a bed. I don't do it often because I have spots with no pigment (vitiligo), but it's all that works. I have tried every self-tanning thing under the sun, and even have gotten spray tans, but because I'm so pale they just look wrong. When I actually tan I get really olive skin (yay for being 1/4 greek), but even with that tint to my pale skin none of those have worked for me.

KC21's plastic surgeon is Christopher Pelletiere, MD
VISIT WEBSITE
DOCTOR PROFILE
The Following User Says Thank You to KC21 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2011, 02:40 PM
Jet Puffed Marshmallow Creme...Yum!

Peaches37 is on a distinguished road
I'm milk bottle white and at the age I am...almost 38...I don't tan out in the sun as it is so ageing!I have used St Tropez which is amazing but make sure you wear gloves and use a mitt even if you get the gradual tanner.Also TanTruth is another great brand and is very natural,Famous Dave's is also really good and the Gold one does not smell at all which is fab.I have the exact same issue with my lower legs too...how strange is it when everywhere else tans and that bit won't?!? Anyhoo hope these suggestions help.
Old 07-25-2011, 07:18 PM

HotMagenta will become famous soon enough HotMagenta will become famous soon enough
I had the same experience with Jergens! But only when my skin was pale to begin with. I find it works best if you already are working with a base tan at least The only time I would use it/I found it worked nicely would be when I was going tanning in a bed as well/in combination. I would go tanning monday, wed and friday and on tuesday and thursday I would use Jergens for a nice lil boost lol. I found this worked nicely because when you keep applying it day after day, I found I would get streaky/orange/yellow tinge in sunlight. Try out xen tan, it's way better!

VISIT WEBSITE
DOCTOR PROFILE